Home

not red alerts fault.

UberChild

i hope the dude (dudette?) who wrote that article on half life causing violence does not start preaching, that this is the fault of red alert 2 or other games, which aim at destroying actual landmarks.. this is serious and obviously well planned, just wonder if no fall guy is found.. if movies and games will come under the spotlight.. i hope not.. :(

I don't think anybody could possibly blame this tragedy on video games. That would be in incredibly poor taste.

It's bad enough when less than a dozen or so people are killed and it gets blamed on something as trivial as a computer game, but not this.

Let's just drop the subject, okay?

Kurgan

Good point Wilhuf.

I would then say that as we all know, knowledge is power, and the cost of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Yes, you could ban access to all kinds of knowledge to prevent people realizing how to do this stuff. And you could install better security to video scan everyone's face as they enter public areas and do body cavity searches and track everyone, but that's not freedom...

Still a very good point you brought up.

Kurgan

Unfortunately, it is the nature of the terrorist to strike from within. They will, in effect, use your own resources, infrastructures and weapons against you.

I do not think this has anything to do with games.

I mean, there was a film called The Midas Touch, where this guy used telekinesis to plunge a 747 into a tower block. Should we now be saying this was the inspiration for this attack?

Or how about Independence Day? You know, the film where all these buildings and people were annihilated?

These people are terrorists. They kill people. They have been hijacking aircraft for years, commiting atrocities for years, and using whatever methods and resources are available to them.

They attacked the World Trade Centre for what it represented to them, and to kill the most number of people.

They attacked the Pentagon because of it's status. It is an American icon, and a base for the military.

I don't think any stupid games had any impact whatever on what these people have done. Besides, this attack on the USA has probably taken years to co-ordinate.

i do not believe games are to blame for this disaster, but ive already heard reporters say its like a game or movie... once this has boiled over a bit in several months time (if ever..) people are gonna start pointing fingers at other things too, blame them as an inspiration just like doom and rock music was blamed for that disaster at that school, K you are right it would be very poor taste to blame games, but it wont surprise me if it happens, then games may be banned, game makers may be afraid to make certain types of game, cos of the bad press... this has been a disaster and i hope justice is delt swiftly and justly, but this is gonna effect everyone for a long time :( i just hope people dont go overboard in their anger.

No, they're just products of our fertile imagination (and our desire for profit).

Speaking of a desire for profit, I wouldn't be suprised if someday we have games that involve this disaster, or movies protraying the incident (besides documentaries of course). After all, we had stuff based on Columbine, and Desert Storm...

Kurgan

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Unfortunately, as Kurgan suggested, these things do happen. There have been films about terrorist attacks in the past - the one at the Olympics, for example. How many movies have you seen where aircraft are hijacked? There are probably hundreds.

Yes, I think that eventually someone will make a film about this, too. No doubt they will make it very patriotic, and focus on the heroes, and the immense scale of the human tragedy.

I suppose it is in our nature to explore evil in a variety of ways in order to try to make sense of it. Unfortunately the truth is often twisted and warped out of proportion, and the end creation does not truly serve the memories of those who have died.

Well I dunno, I just figured the CIA and FBI would already be paying somebody to read all the Tom Clancy novels, and watch all the Harrison Ford/Bruce Willis, etc movies... that's what terrorists do all day, right?

Sad when life imitates art of that sort though.. : (

Art immitating life is just natural. I mean it's sad that people want to make money off of somebody else's misfortune, but it's also a way for people to help express their feelings, and to remember it.

Though of course if you actually lived through some terrible event like this, you wouldn't need a movie or whatever to remind you... maybe you wouldn't even want to see it.

Kurgan

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Their service sucks, and their games are over priced, but otherwise I think they're pretty good (and the owner of the franchise is richer than Bill Gates.. go figure).

But why pull Red Alert? Because of this? That's the absolute stupidest thing in the entire world. How is an RTS going to cause terrorism? It's not even the only one or most popular. And it's too late to prevent the Sept 11th disaster from happening. Hmmf...

Like I was saying, there's movies and games about Pearl Harbor and the Holocaust, so I'd say it's probably inevitable that somebody makes stuff about the Sept 11th tragedy as well. For good or for ill...

Kurgan

Originally posted by Kurgan:

<STRONG>Tom Clancy novels,

</STRONG>

In one of Tom Clandy's novels a terrorist takes a 747 and runs it into the House Of Congress. Every senator died, except for the vice-president (who later became elected, by default, as the president. He has importance in other books)

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: TheJackal ]

I think the basic point here is not simply life imitating art. Yeah, sure, these things have been used in novels, films, games etc. Yet the simple truth of the matter is that the people who make planes, buildings etc., never took any of it seriously. There were things being portrayed in a fictional sense - but the reason why they were portrayed was simply because they were possible.

In a way, someone was showing them the chinks in the armour - but the armourer wasn't taking much notice.

If they were possible, even though improbable, then steps should have been taken years ago to minimise the impact of such events.

As for pulling a game from shelves - well, I guess I can relate to that. In the same way that some TV channels decided not to show certain films/programmes after Tuesday's events as a show of respect, I guess some retailers thought it might be considered a little insensitive selling a game that shows NY being destroyed straight away.

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]

That's true, although in the case of tv programs, that's something everybody watching that channel is going to be shown, whereas in a store, you don't have to buy the game and play it.

I think that's the difference. I see the act of pulling from the shelves as saying that the game is somehow to blame, etc.

But oh well, they have the power to do that...

Kurgan

Archived