Home

old(er) dos adventure games

KungPaoJake

the other day i tried to pop in my sam and max cd into my computer for some nostalgia...but alas...it doesn't work on anything post windows 98...i think

so i got to thinking...it would be great if lucasarts sort of...um...made "special editions' (as per star wars) and made them compatable...

hmm..this might be a tad unreasonable but heck...i've resorted to go junkyard diving (aka ebay diving) for an old pentium 100 or 486...with no luck really...

i was wondering if this sounded like a good idea to anyone else...and is it of petitionable quality?

• 2 weeks later...

How is it that LucasArts got such a bad reputation for shutting down stuff? They killed a couple fan games and made a few abandonware sites remove their games, but that's all standard copyright protection stuff, isn't it?

The people that originally created Alfred E. Newman's image tried to sue Mad Magazine for using it, but they lost because they hadn't protected their copyright on many other previous infringements.

You could always duel-boot your computer with DOS 6.22 (yes, it only supports FAT32 if you can give it the right hard drive information which it would otherwise misinterperate from the BIOS). You'd have to read-up on how to do that, or duel boot with DOS7.1 like me.

=mek=

I just downloaded ScummVM... I can run the games fine, but MI1 doesn't seem to be working right, so I'm trying this.

Anyway, I extracted the files, and ran the program, but of course what happens is a dos Window briefly pops up with an error and quits. To me, this seems like a sign that this program is more trouble than it's worth.

Looking through the readme, it appears I need I need some sort of compiler or something. What the hell? Why not just include one in the zip file? I'm not a l33t h4x0r, I just want to play Monkey Island.

Also, I need to rename all the games files to lowecase too. Wouldn't it save time in the long run to make the program rename the files itself, or better yet, not care about the case?

Collective time it takes for every user to rename every file for every game they want to play > Time it takes for the developer to program a lower-case-renaming program.

I think people might as well just use older computers that support LA's older games. Then there's no renaming, no compiler stuff, and music. Glorious LucasArts music!

Trap, you're supposed to compile it yourself using Visual Studio or whatever else you want to use, you got the comiled application from a guy with a website that hosts the compiled version. So mr 1337,the other problem is the aspect ratio - and it dosen't have support for MI1 other then the CD-ROM version. All it supports are the formats with .000 and .001 files thus far.

=mek=

I'm getting a 486 soon enough, hopefully. I'm getting it mostly to be able to play the LA adventures like they were meant to be played, but also for a great amount of old games that I once had and have downloaded recently, like Threat (2D carnage from above never looked this good). My sound card doesn't support most DOS sound (although it's supposed to), and I think spending 50$ on an old computer is much easier than messing around with installing DOS on a seperate HD (especially since I don't have any HD's with no operation system installed on them, as I'm running a Russian Win98 along with the European one).

Originally posted by 1.21 Jigawatts?

I know there are often soundcard problems etc,

but I can get almost all of my old DOS-based games to run on my

P266, with a good boot-disk I made.

I play all the old LA games like this (loom + Zak McKraken included)

and original Sierra games etc.

You don't need a bootdisk if you use a boot menu! They're easy enough to create too, consult help.com for more infomation :)

=mek=

Archived