• Carbon Gun
    • Mines
    • Blastech Pistol
    • Flash Bombs
    • None, I want something fresh from the Empire's vault

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I can see the problem that people have with mine use in FPS MP games, anything more than the "Goop Gun" (biorifle) mines from UT for example, and you have people clogging the map with mines that you can't avoid (more or less).

However, in JK/MotS, I felt that mines were NOT a problem (unless you were playing in NF).

First off, a Jedi could use the force to prevent his death from mines (both his own or enemies) with a little smarts. Force seeing plus the map allowed him to sense mines (represented by gray dots) if his star rating was high enough. Also, he could use force speed to speed over mines BEFORE they could go off, and jump to jump OVER strips of mines. Now I can't remember if destruction could be used to set off mines, but I know for sure you could push your enemy into his own mines (if for example you saw him setting them).

Not only that, but in the usual way, mines would blow up on their own accord after about a minute, and you could set them off prematurely with explosive weapons. The way that JK handled it was very good IMHO, and mines did add a lot of strategy both for using and avoiding them effectively.

In MotS, even the personalities had some advantages. The scout and jedi could detect the mines beforehand, and the Bounty Hunter and Soldier had high enough shields to protect them from at least a near miss.

Mines were also a great way to counter-balance super shields and force protection (enough staked mines would stop even the toughest shields).

I think some kind of mines should be in the game. If they can be turned "off" in a multiplayer game if the host chooses, that would be fine too. But I don't see how they need to be removed just because of balancing issues, since it can be worked out. Just my opinion...

Anyway, as far as the zooms went, I thought another Raven person had verified that the Bryar would NOT have a zoom, and that in fact only ONE weapon would have a zoom in JK2. If that's the disruptor, fine. Personally I'd like to see it on the ST rifle again, and the stun setting, but maybe that would make the ST rifle too powerful... ; )

Kurgan

We have confirmation of a quake 3 style rocket launcher....

Kevin Schilder- project lead.

In standard multiplayer the lightsaber becomes balanced with all the other weapons. The multiplayer is really robust. Many of the quake weapons return such as the rocket launcher........ blah blah blah

i would seriously consider typing out this whole thing....... but it about 1am here, and im leaving early in the morning for a week.

disruptors also exist in the SW galaxy, check Vagabond`s article

GonkH8er wheres that from? I guess you already left we wont know...

I guess this rocket launcher like weapon is replacing the rail detonator?

I wonder what he means with many of the quake weapons

Will we see a railgun? a plasma gun??

If this is the list of weapons

1.Stun Baton

2.Bryar Pistol

3.Stormtrooper Rifle

4.Bowcaster

5.Thermal Detonators

6.Flachette

7.Disruptor

8.Lightsaber

9.Rocket launcher like?

10.????

and many quake weapons are returning are there more than 10 weapons?

I voted for :

1. carbonite rifle

2. flash grenades

Both of these weapons add strategy to the game, far more than the other more generic shooting weapons. Although I would still like to see the concussion rifle, sequencers, and a souped-up repeater rifle. As was said, though, now that we have a flechette launcher there is no need for a repeater.

not much new but it seems that it'll be released in the same time in the uk as the us. Also we were told that they had a gang-up system but it explains more deeply that the bots have duddies and come out for revenge. It says on vehicles well it's hard to explain so i'll jsut rip it out directly from the mag....: So a dumper truckload of thoguht had gone into the weapons but what about vehicles? THere's going to be some interesting things that Kyle will be able to do that's not been done in previous games.

Anyway i'm off

*Yawn*

Bye

Although I like flamethrowers in any game, and although there may be a precedent already set in the SW universe for their use, I'm not sure a flamethrower would fit that well in the JK series. Toasting enemies just wouldn't feel right, IMHO. Besides, we're seeing a lot of other games introducing flamethrowers, and once the novelty wears off, are we still going to be using them in the long run?

*shrugs*

Archived