Home

Random Misson Generator

nykel007

Originally posted by ZeroXcape

Boy.. that's a great idea for the first official patch. :luke:

I'll buy that for a dollar... :D

Yes, I can't wait to try out that RMG in SOF2. It would make an excellent expansion to JKII...I mean, it would be almost like going back to the days of DF, with a different mission each level...ohhh yeah! ;) And it would be an absolute killer if it suppored co-op mode... :freakout:

Originally posted by StarScrap

Just out of curiosity, is there a random mission generatior in any game that's out yet (I'm not a big FPSer)? It seems to me that the missions would be very generic and/or poorly laid out. But then again, AI can do some amazing things.

I haven't heard of any...so if someone knows something, please enlighten me. :)

The last games I remember having randomised levels were Dungeon Hack (or something...can't really remember the title)...and Daggerfall, which generated dungeons to explore on the fly (as I recall it became a bit confusing because they all eventually looked the same).

Yes, I think there are certainly issues concerning how they would give each level in a random mission a particular identity. From what I've read, you can set the type of mission, etc., and then it generates it...but whether that is using simply standard maps, or building maps from standard parts, has not yet been made clear.

If done well, it certainly has a lot of potential...particularly if you can swap your own models/textures in and out.

Originally posted by StormHammer

I'll buy that for a dollar... :D

Yes, I can't wait to try out that RMG in SOF2. It would make an excellent expansion to JKII...I mean, it would be almost like going back to the days of DF, with a different mission each level...ohhh yeah! ;) And it would be an absolute killer if it suppored co-op mode... :freakout:

yep, a great idea for an expansion set.

Originally posted by nykel007

I see that SoF2 has a random mission generator, I hope JK2 has this feature in the game, it will increase the the game potenial.

Random Mission Generator? That's a new word for me...

Supposingly build levels "randomly"? If it is REALLY random (without patterns), that is some programming skill...

but I probably won't want the Random Mission Generator in JKII...probably because this "technology" is too new to me? or it just won't fit into the Star Wars world (probably suitable for X-Wing vs. TIE Fighteres though).

:evanpiel: Let us reiterate here. A <i>random</i> generator? Now, I can understand hybridizing some levels together, but the ability to randomly generate a level would be.. Wow. I can barely make a well-thought out level!

Nah, I prefer to have a love for official levels like Battleground Jedi and Canyon Oasis. Which reminds me, is Jedi Knight 2 gonna have a nice remake of these levels? :lopsided grin:

Originally posted by Scav

:evanpiel: Let us reiterate here. A <i>random</i> generator? Now, I can understand hybridizing some levels together, but the ability to randomly generate a level would be.. Wow. I can barely make a well-thought out level!

Nah, I prefer to have a love for official levels like Battleground Jedi and Canyon Oasis. Which reminds me, is Jedi Knight 2 gonna have a nice remake of these levels? :lopsided grin:

Yeh. I'm not sure how it would work out for JKO...

RTS' I can understand, but I don't think it would be too hot for FPS...

Originally posted by Rat Boy

I suspect it is something like this:

1. A random map is loaded

2. A random, but simple, mission objective is picked

3. Random enemy types are scattered throughout the level

Hmm, that would sound like fun in cooperative, but in sp ??

I'd rather play Serious Sam ...

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

Some people may argue that nothing is random.......as for me,well,I dont know

From what I read, JKII is been programmed using VC++ (Visual C++). And from what I learned in my C++ class, nothing is random because you have to generate a number by subtracting and multiplying so it looks like a random number.

Archived