Home

Will the SP live up to JK

lonepadawan

I'm sure everyone wil remember the great SP in JK... Jumping onto a moving ship, attempting to escape from an exploding rocking tilting ship with crates sliding after you and exploding. Or who can forget sliding through a labyrinth of pipes full of fuel. Or cutting through ropes with a saber to complete a puzzle. Will JK live up to this.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure it will. We have seen that previous level desgins from Raven in games like Elite Force were always very interesting....so I would think they will be much better. Remember, level design etc have come a long way since JK, and with the new engines they allow much more interesting levels to be designed.

My concern is level size. I'm not sure if this conversation has been had before (odds are it has and I haven't been here long enough to have seen it), but I enjoy sprawling levels that let you cover a lot of ground. I really don't care about load times for massive levels, since I can deal with anything as long as the level is worth it. I just don't want to see a level with four rooms and a puzzle making up a level. I'd much rather original JK style levels, as I'm sure eveyone would prefer.

well, EF did it in, load of levels, several locations, and transitions...sorta like HL...small, detailed levels that u can move easily between, making up a large section. With a speedy compy, load times shd be even less. I'm gonna guess load times and levels about the size of Wolf(huge for mp, large for sp). short loadtimes on my athlon750 30gb 7200 for sp; medium for mp...

jh

I agree with that.

I think the levels for JKO will be good because they didn't have to spend time creating an engine for this game. They could dedicate more of there time towards great levels including puzzles, etc. Hopefully, since LucasArts played a big part in every step of the game, it'll have the same feel as JK1.

I'm willing to bet the single player level design, and originality will be there just as it was in Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. I absolutely loved the single player missions in both games (in Dark Forces that's ALL we had anyway.) I still think the 'door puzzle' on the Coruscant level in Dark Forces was pretty cool, it seems that LucasArts really knows how to design really GREAT FPS levels. I even love the Outlaw single player levels, absolutely classic IMO of course. LucasArts has yet to really let me down as far as FPS go, so I am willing to say that the single player levels will more than likely be very cool.

just a side question, Hannibal: how did u register in 2000? i registered 14th, 'bout a day after the site was opened, May 2001. watching that domain for awhile; said it was still being constructed, so I stuck to checking it. Waddya know, the first day I forget to check it they open.

anyways, padawan, there were TPMtG, and Obi-Wan. but i 'spose those rnt really fpses, r they?

and LEC is supervising, so i guess they'll play thru the game before we do, and make suggestions.

jh

Originally posted by Brick

My concern is level size. I'm not sure if this conversation has been had before (odds are it has and I haven't been here long enough to have seen it), but I enjoy sprawling levels that let you cover a lot of ground. I really don't care about load times for massive levels, since I can deal with anything as long as the level is worth it. I just don't want to see a level with four rooms and a puzzle making up a level. I'd much rather original JK style levels, as I'm sure eveyone would prefer.

Well in the original Raven previews they said the levels would actually be longer than JK, and as we know there are 25 of them :). With the Quake 3 engine load times are very short anyway :)

Originally posted by T-Dogg

Umm... Dude, LucasArts ain't doing the levels. The game's developed by Raven software.

Well hopefully they won't ruin a good thing... I know nothing of Raven software, considering I rarely play anything without the words Star Wars written across it.

Ever heard of such a great game as Soldier of Fortune? Made by Raven.

Raven also proved that a game with Star Trek written on it can be good with Star Trek: Elite Force. (I've never played it, though. But Soldier of Fortune was excellent!)

There are other games too, but my knowledge of them is weak. But I think they've never done a BAD game.

I never saw the preview that said that the levels would be longer? Is that still online somewhere? If it's true then you've just made my day. A bigger game than the original... Game size is one of the reasons I rarely like console games. And one of the reasons I liked Jed Knight.

Not only the long drop, but along with the *crunch* sound :)

I like JK SP cuz it's large, and sometimes mission are quite complicated...I remember I got the JK Demo before I got the game...I played that mission (mission 9, the Fuel Tank jump) like 15 times a day :)

Originally posted by Jedi Howell

just a side question, Hannibal: how did u register in 2000? i registered 14th, 'bout a day after the site was opened, May 2001. watching that domain for awhile; said it was still being constructed, so I stuck to checking it. Waddya know, the first day I forget to check it they open.

jh

I registered at the X-Wing Alliance forums in April of 2000 which are a part of the Lucasforums. I didn't know that until I tried registering here a few weeks ago and my user name was taken up. For the heck of it I logged in with my username and password and it worked. I then found out what was going on.

Pretty much any game with a jump feature has at least one, its unavoidable. Just hope theres not as many as Half Life *coughzencough*. Come to think of it, compared to many games out ATM, JK single player was exellent. It was varied, there was always some interesting objectives, the levels always had something interesting and different about them (sliding down fuel-filled pipes, trying to get out of a falling ship before it hits the ground etc), and just when you got sick of slicing stormies and crawling through vents, it broke the monotony with a lightsaber fight with one of the Dark Jedi... man it even had a few scripted events a la HL, i remember being blown to peices by a tie bomber on that level after you fight yun...

Well, Raven have a lot to live up to. If we want something better than JK's SP, we'd have to expect nothing short of another Half Life/Deus Ex.

Originally posted by Jedi Howell

Ham YoYo? Hannibal? which is ur original name? and why r they both April '00?

and Kenn or Chang(cant remember which) previously clarified that there would be OVER 10 weapons, OVER 20 levels, and OVER something else that I can't recall atm...

jh

The "German preveiw" said there would be 25 levels, and we know there's 13 weapons.

As for your question to Ham Yoyo and Hannibal, it's simple: They registered at another lucasarts forum, XWA and JK respectively I believe...those forums were open longer than this one. Then when the forums were merged and upgraded a little back, their usernames carried over.

Originally posted by lonepadawan

I'm sure everyone wil remember the great SP in JK... Jumping onto a moving ship, attempting to escape from an exploding rocking tilting ship with crates sliding after you and exploding. Or who can forget sliding through a labyrinth of pipes full of fuel. Or cutting through ropes with a saber to complete a puzzle. Will JK live up to this.

Aaahh..the Falling Ship...a truly awesome level :D

I wonder if JK2 will have a level like that?

Archived