Home

Will the SP live up to JK

lonepadawan

Well I dont know about you guys, but I hated the long corridor levels of endless halls, and right behind the corner is an enemy and another hall and another narrow corner.

however not all levels were like this, I usually prefer wider open levels, or a good mix of both to strengthen gameplay.

And it will be nice since they said it will be more wide open levels if they made some in the style of phantom menace, that was the a part ofthat game, the atmosphere.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ehh... I don't think that there is anything quite that big in Luke's J. Academy.

Since we don't know how powerful Force Jump has the potential to be later on in the game (Obviously it won't be that powerful as to make those huge jumps in that cyclinder thing in the start of the game.) that very well could be a jumping puzzle.

Originally posted by OCH

The only thing that truly impressed me on Jedi Knight was the long drops when you die. Dark Forces made my eyes bleed.

The first time I played both was last year.

At least JK was pretty good when it came out, even graphics wise. The fact that you played them both for the first time last year just MIGHT have instilled a bit of a bias as to the necessity of pretty looking things. Also, level design has very little to do with graphics, as is evidenced by DF.

My point is simply this: don't knock a game that came out 7+ years ago for having bad graphics.

Oh, BTW, do you mean that the only thing GRAPHICALLY that impressed you in JK was the falls? Or that the only thing that was good in the entire game was watching kyle fall to his demise?

Personally, I think it's going to be very hard comparing JKII with JK. JK was (and still is) one of the best FPS games ever made, IMHO, with a very solid community of fans (as these forums indicate). Any sequel is therefore going to have quite a legacy to live up to...and when JKII is released, I'm sure we're going to be going over it with a fine-tooth comb to pick out all the bones of contention.

I know that I have had some reservations about some of the features that will not be returning in this sequel. However, I am please with some of the new features that will be included. Hopefully things will balance out, but until I've actually played JKII, it will be hard to judge if it is a better or worse game than JK.

Obviously, graphically it is superior. I have never really been worried about the visual presentation, though. It is the hardcore gameplay elements, choices and feature-set that really concern me. All indications are that Raven have tried to focus on the elements of JK that worked well, omitted or drastically altered things that were among JK's short-comings, and added a lot of new stuff into the mix to beef it up.

Will it be like JK with just prettier graphics? No, I don't believe it will. I think it's a different breed of game, in the same way that RTCW is different from the original Wolfenstein 3D. In many ways, RTCW is faithful to the original, in others it is vastly different, and all the better for it. I am hoping the same will hold true for JKII. :)

Originally posted by StarScrap

At least JK was pretty good when it came out, even graphics wise. The fact that you played them both for the first time last year just MIGHT have instilled a bit of a bias as to the necessity of pretty looking things. Also, level design has very little to do with graphics, as is evidenced by DF.

That's my point. My perspective on the game is different from most of yours because I didn't play it until last year.

My point is simply this: don't knock a game that came out 7+ years ago for having bad graphics.

The graphics aren't too bad, I just wasn't really impressed with the game as a whole. I've never really been impressed by a Star Wars game, so here's hoping for Jedi Outcast. Raven does good stuff, so they should be able to work their magic on the Star Wars license.

Oh, BTW, do you mean that the only thing GRAPHICALLY that impressed you in JK was the falls? Or that the only thing that was good in the entire game was watching kyle fall to his demise?

Not Kyle falling to his death, but the huge drops in some of the levels. I should have worded it differently the first time, but that was something cool.

Originally posted by Redwing

That was ultimately really lame...because when you used mods that let you fly, you couldn't fly there without dying :rolleyes:

Yeah I played a few of those too, the trick is to go down really slow so the game doesnt think your falling ;)

Originally posted by Broode

Yeah I played a few of those too, the trick is to go down really slow so the game doesnt think your falling ;)

I know, but how are you supposed to fight? I played a jetpack mod called Manowars 3, and every time I tried to zip under something, I'd get sucked into a death fall...and if you go too slow, the game makes you fall anyway -_-

Archived