Home

PC gamer review

Blokie_

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JaG|Kaiser

No, it's not new. Jedi Knight did it back in late 97/early 98. Players did not flock from the established Q2 communities at the time, and the community remained relatively small.

Actually Jedi Knight came out months before Quake 2. Q2 was rushed to make the Christmas season and it's largest flaw was that it was so buggy, it needed a compliment of patches.

Obviously, JKII is a step above what JK did. While Quake2 won the majority of "Action Game of the Year" awards... Jedi Knight took the overall "Game of the Year" merits for 1997.

At the time, Jedi Knight offered a lot to the genre. It had the force and the light saber. Half Life did nothing but perpetuate the genre, though widely popular. HL didn't have anything that differentiated from Q2 before it, or Q1 before that.
Half-life did what Q2 couldn't do... it had a SP story with a MP engine that was fun. On top of that, Valve put effort back into the community which led to that success.

The only other FPS to really add something new was Tribes, the first true 3d FPS. Tribes probably had the steepest learning curve of any FPS so far, and it was extremely fast and furious. It allowed for easy customization and scripting, it utilized vehicles, had three armor classes, an "inventory" setup, and had deployables. Oddly enough, many of the old JK competitive community (IRN, Atomic, JaG, SLJ, DH, FOG, etc) went on to play competitively in T1.
About ever JK clan that I knew of did go the way of Tribes. No doubt Tribes was great, but that's where it stopped. Tribes 2 was/is a joke. That isn't something I want to see happen to JK -> JKII. [The only reason I never got into it was because I loved Half-Life too much.]

==========

Magnum2 - If you are trying to send a 90 meg file to the rest of the world over a 56K line, your best bet would be to push it to someone with a fast line first. Allowing hundreds of people to download from South America won't get the file moving anywhere soon. Someone I know has been downloading for 12 hours and is only at 12%. :deathii:

Okey, I have finished my downloading. Excellent movie! :D It plays The Imperial March and shows some cool moves: flips, rolls, saber throw, Force Jump and Force speed, if I'm correct(about 00:01:44 gameplay slows down momentarily, when Kyle strikes saber wielding "reborn" and at the end, about 00:02:41 environment and hud looks blurry, while Kyle is walking through some corridor, Stormtrooper says: "What's that?"). Movie also shows cool AT-ST shooting at you and Bowcaster alongside ST rifle and we can hear Kyle talking very briefly(I think it's Rino Romano). So, check it out! :D

I've just seen the video, (I live in the UK) and it's bloody awesome!

If you can stand the wait, then I definitely advise you to download it - especially if you have broadband (lucky sods...)

This game is really looking like it's going to be Raven and LEC's best so far...

I'm off to read the review now :D (had a quick flick through, and there don't seem to be many new screens - if any :()

I'll report back if I find anything big that we've not heard about yet :) ...I don't expect I will find anything, though - enough others have already ripped the review to shreds in search of info :D

Originally posted by ZeroXcape

Magnum2 - If you are trying to send a 90 meg file to the rest of the world over a 56K line, your best bet would be to push it to someone with a fast line first. Allowing hundreds of people to download from South America won't get the file moving anywhere soon. Someone I know has been downloading for 12 hours and is only at 12%. :deathii:

Nope, it's a 16k/s line, but everybody is taking the video from it because nobody else offered to host the file. The sooner someone mirrors it the better, but for the time being, only morpheus is a second choice, for the ppl who has downloaded it.

Also, I recently put a 15.3 MB version of the video, so it should be a relief for the impatient ones.

Originally posted by thrEEpaGe

The next step would be a FPS squad-based game that fully utilized ground troops and vehicles, not centered around CTF, but possibly MMORPG.

sorry im too lazy to quote, but ut2 is somewhat like that, and somewhat not related at all from what ive heard....im too lazy to go into too much detail, but ut2 will be much more like the likes of halo with a little little mmorpg mixed into it...while im not completely sure (and no one will be till june), this sounds somewhat like what you are talking about (correct me if im wrong, as usual)

EDIT: BTW, your sig still looks like a geodude

Tribes 1 and tribes 2 both tried to do this, but it iddn't work out that way.

I'm at one of those universities that allows programs such as Morpheus and Kazaa.

Been trying to search for the video thru Kazaa, no luck.

T1 line. I don't have a webspace, but dang, it's a shame that I wanna share the video on Kazaa but I can't.:(

Archived