Home

Number of CDs

Siege

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ironic......

80%+ of the people who talk about me in some way refer to me as 'gonk', when theyre the very thing I hate. Serves me right putting the darned thing at the front of my alias :)

I've learned to live with it though.

Call me Gonk, call me GonkH8er.... It makes no difference :D

Well I could always blame on that I don't understand L337-speak. :D

No but really I didn't bother writing in H8er as no one else seems to care or bother, not even GonkH8er himself.

Observe that I would never do that to our beloved GonkH8er if he didn't like it. :p

Did you ever try to play Quake3 on a LAN?

If so.. how did you do it? Think back.

That should answer your question.

If so, stop reading. If not, keep reading....

You could make copies of the game, and distribute them to your friends and use them all on the LAN (due to the nature of the protection, nobody could use their 'pirated' copy for internet games, only SP and LAN), or you could just install the game on every machine, and use a cd-crack (which would surely come out within days of the full game's release).

Now I'm not advocating piracy or cracking, but I understand your situation, and I assure you there will be nothing magical about JK2 in this regard. If you could do it with Q3 (prior to their key server being opened of course) then you can do it with JK2, 99.99% certainty.

And it really doesn't matter.. the game will be on 1 cd, just like every other Quake3 engine game I can think of (except Alice). The reason LEC games in the past were on two cd's was both as a primitive means of added copy-protection and to fit all the cinema files and CD audio tracks. If you want more examples, Unreal was a huge game, long and had great graphics, but it fit on one cd. Same with Rune, and Serious Sam.

Guest Jolts

I remember reading a .plan update about sof2 and how they were having problems just trying to fit it on 2 cds. The guy was saying that the second cd was mostly all textures. How does this compare to jk2? I dunno...

I would rather waste my time thinking about liquor beer and wine rather then wasting time wondering about how many cds jk2 will be.

One CD is what I'm hoping for. I'm glad we've finally gotten away from the live-action cutscenes and such, I mean generally they all were pretty terrible and that includes the ones in Jedi Knight. It has to make you wonder where they get some of these actors, Yun's death scene was laughable at best. I like animated cutscenes much better, for example, I love Wing Commander I and II, but once III came around I totally lost interest because of all the live action sequences and such... It is easier for me to use my imagination in animated style sequences than live actors for some reason. The only really good FMV sequences I remember seeing was Gabriel Knight II (I believe that's right... been awhile.) But even the best of FMV really sets me off on games sometimes...

I enjoy cutscenes like the ones found in X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, X-Wing Alliance, etc. etc..

I don't really know how valid that is, but they may decide to have a "LAN only" installation option, where all the necessary files needed to run/start a LAN game are copied to the hard disk, without the need for the CD when running the game. That would reduce the risk of piracy/hacking at home.

Why does there seem to be an equating of # of CD's to how good / high graphic quality / long the game will be? Sure, to some extent there is a relationship, but recent games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein came on one CD, while the (shorter, for me anyway) MoH:AA came on 2 - each had about the same level of graphic detail, they were both excellent games, but one took up a single CD and the other took up two.

I believe what I have heard - one CD ... and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Frankly, I think it's quite greedy when they make you use the CD

...they're so greedy that they actually implemented anti-piracy measures to prevent people from stealing their software.. last time I checked, "being greedy" isn't "wanting to get payed for hard work".. you'd be singing a different tune if you were in their shoes right now.

I despise you, never played terror from the deep then!

well i have an older computer with a floppy... never heard of that game though -i'll look into it

i suppose if jedi outcast did come out on floppy i could copy it over the network- excellant, all hope is not lost

if u knew what u were doin, u could play EF on 2 compies with only 1 cd. i didnt even use the cd. u just need to know how to useth thy console. i dont own SOF, so i couldn't tell u anything about that.

2 cd's people? come on, this isn't going to have any live movies, nor will it need to be titanic-size. Wolf was plenty long, and that was only 1 cd. Hell, OpFor was long, and they fit that, AND blue-shift, AND hi-def pack on ONE cd.

jh

[edit]stupid 'f' key. wont press down when typing blue shift. i gotta get a new keyboard[/edit]

too bad new egg doesn't ship outside the states...

i originaly had a floppy but took it back to save $.

need to save up for jk2, hehe (i need a job! dang web page company's doing nothin)

too bad about that one cd thing though, just for the lan. i remember x-wing vs tie fighter came with a masterdisk and a multiplayer disk. you could only join in multiplayer games with the multiplayer disk. with the master disk you could play single player, host games, and join games.

good idea methinks

Archived