Home

Answer to Question About Quake III Limitations

Bowen

Well for those of you who might have heard or questioned if the Quake 3TA engine is up to the challenge of Jedi Knight II: Outcast supporting large levels, Ken Hoekstra of Raven Software has answered that question:

Kenn:

"I don’t know why anyone would be concerned. Quake III was the best engine choice on the market (and still is) when we started development, plus we had a lot of experience working with it, so we ran with it. Quake III gives us unparalleled flexibility as far as multiplayer goes and with the Team Arena enhancements and the new tech we’ve added, we’re able to do everything done in the original game as far as level size/complexity and a whole lot more in every other way. Broadening the audience is only a side benefit of using Q3:TA."

Full interview here at Jedi Center:

http://www.jedicenter.com/features/features.phtml?id=128428

What people don't seem to understand is that Q3A comes NOWHERE NEAR making full use of its own engine. The Q3 engine is extremely powerful and versatile, which is why it's used in so many games. There's no reason to think it won't be up to the task.

Originally posted by TUS_Tomcat

Hey, I understand the engine can do it, but the real question is,

Can my computer do it? :)

who cares about YOUR computer :rolleyes:

the way i think of it is, if u run Q3A fine..you should run JO fine :D

The Q3 Engine is certainly a fine engine. The Unreal II/UT2 engine, although not out yet, is also quite good. Heck, just the normal UT engine is great.

I wonder if LucasArts will ever make JK3, and if so, will they consider using an Unreal variant-based engine, depending on whether it's the best at the time? The Unreal engine has some significant advantages over the Q3 engines.

In any event, both engines are very good, and I'd like to see LucasArts share the love :cool:

I should be okay

1 ghz Tbird,

512 mb SDRAM CAS 2,

32 mb ASUS Geforce 2 GTS

that aint to bad is it?

Me wants:

AMD XP 1800 or 1900

512 mb DDR RAM

Radeon 8500 eXP with 128mb DDR clocked at 300 mhz

other good stuff

:) Me wont get though, (for now)

hehe JK3...

by that time kyle won't have a lightsaber any more, more of a light-walkingcane hehe

(and i mean light as in not heavy hehe)

ya kyles already getting old... maybe he'll have a sun, or a brother, or they could make an old rebublic jedi knight game

The problem I see with Quake 3 engine games is that the models animations are crappy. Just look at someone walking up the stairs and you'll know what I mean... Otherwises the game looks great. I just upgraded my computer to an Athlon 1800 and Geforce 4 ;)

Archived