Home

Greetings!

Guest Garry_M_Gaber

Guest Garry_M_Gaber

Greetings!

Glad to see the continued enthusiasm related to Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. To give a quick update, we are cruising toward Beta at a very fast rate, wrapping up a lot of the art in the game, and spending time on the level-specific art. Today, several Theed Buildings, a Trandoshan Slaver Ship, a giant Massassi Temple and several more pieces of art were delivered for the Scenario Editor (translation: toybox). The art is looking fantastic. We have so many units and buildings that you guys know and love from the films, as well as quite a few surprises. We're agressively fixing bugs and working hard to reach our Beta date in early September. After that it's polishing for a month, and then into Quality Assurance. I'll keep you all up to date as we progress.

I also wanted to establish this thread as a place to ask me questions or give comments about the game. Please feel free to reply to this thread.

Thank you for the continued support,

Garry M. Gaber

Director - Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Mr. Gaber, to our forum! I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. Can you give us a date for the demo?

2. Will Jedi be able to deflect lasers?

3. Will there be TIE Defenders, B-wings, E-wings, or Kwings?

4. Will X-wings be able to open and close their S-foils?

5. Can you tell us how many troops can fit into AT-ATs and MTTs?

6. What is the Steadfast?

7. Will there be a difference between the light and dark side of the Force?

8. Will Thrawn, the Chiss, or the Nohgri be in the game?

9. Will many of the units have a special weapon feature that can be discovered by researching (like many of the units in StarCraft)?

10. Will there be unit formations, and if so will they have more affect on the gameplay than the formations in AoK did?

11. Is there being room left open for an X-pack?

12. If you convert an enemy villager, will you be able to build another civilization's units/buildings?

Thank you!!! (Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm really enthusiastic about this!)

Hey Mr. Gaber can you answer a few questions for me?

1. Will the characters have their own personalies (in like skirmish and in the editor)? What I mean by this is if they each have a different stylke of play as enemies?

2. Will there be any new bonuses for any of the civs?

3. Will some gungan troops be able to swim?

4. Will there be any neutral forces on the map during a campaign (besides wildlife)?

5. Can you tell us any more of the units of the Wookie and NAboo?

6.Can you tell us any of the technologies?

Sorry about all the questions. You don't have to answer them all, but i sure would like you to.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but, Are there going to be alien units in the Naboo, Trade Fed, Empire and Alliance civs, apart from Rodian Bounty Hunters and possibly Neimodians?

first of all, thank you mr. gaber for responding to my created thread of "medical units".

i have a few questions as well:

1. will there be mines or underground type defenses (such as lurkers in starcraft) to help defend your base?

2. like someone on this thread said, will some of us be able to test a beta version? i live in california, and i don't know if the game is being developed here, but i emailed lucasarts and they replied by saying that no visitors are allowed to their bay area locations.

3. will actual humanoid units be able to swim in the game such as gungan grunts?

4. besides tatooine, cloud city, space platforms, and asteroids, what other terrain types will there be?

thank you for your time and patience...

lord jay

Guest Tie Guy

I think Rdog might have touched on this but i'll elaborate.

In AOK they had civ specific bonuses such as decreased infantry cost or cavarly armor +1. Will the civs in GB have the same type of bonuses? Would you please name a few?

Thanks

1)Formations...are they pettiful...or do they pertain to real life...TF in the movie wasn't even close to real tactics anyone would employ if they had that monstorous army.

2)Also do the TF have 800 droids??? That preview really messed things u on that issue and we are all in the dark on it.

3)Do you think the Navies will play any important role in this game? or will they be basically useless?

4) I noticed that alot of Navy vehichles float on repulsor lifts. Does that mean they can float out of the water like the Flying Dutchman from AoE???

Guest Sherack Nhar

I'd like to thank you, Mr. Gaber, to come visit our humble site...

Here are some questions:

1)Did you modify/improve the network/multiplayer code of Age of Empires 2 for Galactic Battleground? Some people have complained of laggy AoK games even with cable modems on both ends.

2)Are you working on any other projects besides Galactic Battleground? What do you plan to work on when the game goes gold?

3)If the game is successful enough, do you plan on making an expansion pack and/or a full-blown sequel?

If I think of any others, I'll post them here of course.

EDIT: I have a fourth one:

4)Will other people from the GB team come here and post sometimes? It would be great to hear from the art director that is praised so much.

Guest Darth Maul Jr.

*edit* Be nice, Darth.

1. Will there be a class for mounted units? It seems each civ has a mounted unit, why not make it a distinct class like Infantry, Mech, and Heavy Weapons.

2. If you have all the units done why not post pics of them so we can see what units are in the game?

Welcome, mr. Gaber.. glad to see you active with the community even before the game is out...

i just have two questions that have not been asked yet:

1) how does trade work ? Is the Rebel transport we saw in one of the first screenshots a trade-vessel ?

2) will we be able to build / control the Millennium Falcon ?

thanks for starting a thread to answer our numorus questions. you obveusly have your hands full so i'll make it short.

do you have a list of the unit names in the types (such as the mechs are the scout, attack mech, mech destroyer, and building attack mech)?

what popular heros will be in the senerio editor beside luke, leia, darth vader, maul, and chewie. otherwise, will there be thrawn, daala, the solo twins, mon mothma, acbar, and others?

what are the R2 model droids for in the hoth like shot?

are you still at work on the naboo because i haven't seen much of them in screen shots and many don't seem to like them because they are misinformed?

oh, and leon, i think the rebel transport is a troop transport.

Guest hedning85

Thank you for posting. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will there be B-Wings in the game?

2. Will any units be able to use stealth like the Ghost in Starcraft?

:leia:Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper? :trooper:

Originally posted by hedning85

2. Will any units be able to use stealth like the Ghost in Starcraft?

:leia:Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper? :trooper:

yes the jedi will have stealth and can be detected by certain units

is there a guess on the release date? i heard it was in november.

Originally posted by darthfergie

1)

4) I noticed that alot of Navy vehichles float on repulsor lifts. Does that mean they can float out of the water like the Flying Dutchman from AoE???

i read that the wave speeders have there repolsors calabtrated for the rocking of the waves, though i have been wrong...

Ello, mr Gaber. Nice to see you here too.

Well, you've asked for it. You made a topic for questions, prepare to get a lot (but you've already figured that out I guess). The things I'm interested in is this:

• What is current involvement of Ensemble Studios? Are you still reporting weekly or something like that?
  • ES is currently making AoM. The idea of a flashing idle villagar button seems to come from that game (I read it first in a AoM preview that is). So, is it true that ES still helps on improving the engine?
  • Will you rename different gamestyles. I am wondering what you'll make of regicide (who's the king?). And how will you handle the random maps? Is it like: Black Forest becomes Endor, Ice maps will be known as Hoth. Large sea maps will be Mon Calamari ...
  • Do you pick ideas from forums to put in the game? Did you visit this forum before you posted (or any other person of your team)
  • If there wasn't an AoE engine, and you could pick any engine you wanted. What kinda engine would you have picked?

Gee ... I asked more than I intended to do ...

YD

Guest Master Yoda

Thanks for posting here.

1. Will there be terrain effects? (Like when a troop is on higher ground they get longer range ect.)

2. Will aircraft be able to fire on other air craft?

Guest Baron Fel

I have a question.Since the game ends 10 years after Endor,what will happen after Endor?Will you be able to fight Thrawn,the reborn Emperor and any other insurgencies shown in the EU,or will there be something else to fight during that period?

Guest Destroyer Droid

Thanks for stopping by Gaber a few questions.

1. Can fortress units be upgraded to elite fortress units like in Aok and if so do Destroyer Droids get a 1 unit mini shield generator (that would be cool) like episode 1.

2. How much will an ATAT cost resource wise.

Archived