Home

Real Sabers (Jedi Academy)

JediSith999

I haven't gone to the sites yet, but is there A company that makes a saber that just pops out(Besides the hasbro)... Not some screw in blade? I would rather have a full-repleca will sounds, lights, and pop-up effect, that look nice than one i could duel with. If i wanted to duel id just take a plactic pipe and duck tape it. real jedi build there own sabers hehe

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if you're looking for a saber which has sounds, and soforth, there are the sabers at http://www.masterreplicas.com

Anakins saber (And Darth Vaders, when its released later in the year all have sounds, light up, etc, but they still have a permanantly affixed blade

Still look pretty sweet, there is a video with a guy showing off the sounds on the site :D

:dsaber: :dsaber: dsaber: :dsaber: dsaber: dsaber:

Originally posted by D'akt Sangwar

i was thinking of just buying a hilt from here

and then fitting it with a blade fromhere , but im nt sure if it wud fit, u can tighten the space on the hilt so im pretty sure it wud

who thinks this is a good idea?, cos i dont wanna pay exxxxxxxxtttttra for an el blade

i am still thinking of doing this, what does anyone think?

shud i?

Originally posted by Sinbot 5000

I haven't gone to the sites yet, but is there A company that makes a saber that just pops out(Besides the hasbro)... Not some screw in blade? I would rather have a full-repleca will sounds, lights, and pop-up effect, that look nice than one i could duel with. If i wanted to duel id just take a plactic pipe and duck tape it. real jedi build there own sabers hehe

Wildly off topic: That reminds me of when I was camping out for Ep1 tickets. There were of course the small army of hardcore fans running about in costume w/ "My other car is a heavily modified Corellian YT-1300 light frieghter!" shoepolished on their cars. I paid no mind to most of that. I sat in line & talked to the folks around me.. and got REALLY DRUNK. After a bit I noticed ppl in costume re-enacting ls duels from the movie w/ the Hasbro swords. Feeling frisky I decided to head to my car & get out an old yardstick from class & wave it around & bat at them yelling on about how real Jedi's build thier own & "I dont need no Force to kick your ass, son. I GOT A THREE FOOT LONG YARDSTICK!!" Boy o boy what a night. Got my EpII tickets online.. no waiting outside fun this time.. :p

E-mailboth companies to get thier ideas? You could maybe get the "kit" from lightec which includes the blade all all that is needed to operate it, but you put it into your own hilt...maybe that would be an option?

DarkSith, i was in FFA #2 all day yesterday, didn't go on at night, was downloading some lightsaber movies, ie: Good uses, bad uses, malfunctions and i caught a classic rip off of the Duality moves called "two-ness" you sen it?

Did anyone see Empire records last night??!? lol, again wtf was it aboot?? :D

I'm gonna give lightec a call later today, make sure my saber has been dispatched :D

Smood no need to worry, the blades are encase in polycarbonite, which is, well...bloody tough! :D It won't bend at all, it merely is an illusion...albeit a damn good one :D

Whats next, oh yeah! a neon saber!!!! Wooohoooo! :)

Originally posted by UseDaAgression

I cant really see a diff in switches, the silver thing aint the ignite button if thats wat you think

Park's site has this listed in the high tech section:

Switch: Force Touch™ activation switch mounted to circuit board

From the pictures I've seen I don't see and of the metal toggle switches on Park's. It might be the picturs but eveyone of the Lightech sabers has one. It's not really a big deal, I just wanted to point it out for those who would care and are looking to buy one still.

I personally like the parksabers ones best. They just look more crafted and real.

www.parksabers.com

If i had money to waste I'd prolly buy the arc-wave and the defiance, they look the best imo!

i made a lil siggy to demonstrate how they look if they had movie- effect blades.

sorry my photoshop skillz arent too good

:D

saberwish.jpg

Originally posted by ArmchairAthlete

LOL buying some of those fake "sabers" to duel? Gotta be kidding me.

If you bought one, you're either under 12 or need some psychiatric help.

Or a big Star Wars fan w/ money to burn. :)

To me it not a question of which is cooler... to be honest I don't want a bunch of star wars fans running around with live steel swords...

I personaly own a collection of real swords to put probably all you to shame, and I know how to use them ALL effectively...

No I am not a grand master, but I am not some newb to the art of weapons fighting either, not by a long shot...

As for the persons thesis on Katanas ETC... you overlook a few key things...

Depending on the era the katana was crafted in the very tip (first few inches) of a kartana was heat treated and cooled sepperately from the rest of the edge, causing a hairline difference in stress limits... this caused the tip of MANY katanas of even the highest quality to break off... MANY MANY Tanto knives ARE in fact simply these broken sword tips turned into knives...

Secondly A katana at least the orriginal kind WAS extremely powerful, no doubt about it... however it's greatest strength was head on... IE hitting edge on would be unlikely to break the blade... However, the katana CANNOT, I REAPEAT CANNOT bend side to side more than a few degrees before it snaps like a twig!

It is STILL quite flexible side to side, but not indestructable... If you want to break a Katana in combat you find a way to hit the side of the blade with the spine of yours (or the edge, but the spine is preferable in MOST but not all cases.)

Katanas where perfected for cutting and some thrusting (the lunge techniqe for example is virtualy nonexistant the way it is in europe, to be honest this is a tiny bit of mystery as to why since the lunge is certainly one of the most effective moves in sword combat). As a cutting weapon the katana is near perfect... you can cut things you never thought imaginable with proper cutting technique... even with a dinky 420 stainless steel blade (yes you heard me DINKY), you can slice through a tree limb from anywhere between 2, to 4 inches thick with proper technique... With a quality Katana? Fuggedaboudit... i have heard rumors of a guy who puts on demonstrations cutting into the engine block of a 57 chevy with a katana... it doesn't cleave it in two but it DOES poenetrate... however it ALSO tends to ruin the blade...

the katanas edge is extremely sharp... However in order to use it properly the edge must be drawn across the target in a cutting motion with the last 12 inches of the blade or so... so you can for example actually tap your fingers on the blade with some minor force and not get even the hint of a cut, however IF you rest your finger on the blade, and draw it along the edge about one inch you will get a nasty cut, possibly requiring stitches... now imagine if you put real presure behind your finger and dragged it along... bye bye finger!

As for european blades, they are a similar but different story all together...

Katanas and MANY other japanese bladed weapons used a similar technique in the forging process... From naginata to the No daichi (the japanese equivalent to the claymore)... the spear being a possible exception (never studied spear making very much at least not from the metalurgy standpoint).

In europe, although some elements of folding two metals together ARE used (damascus steel for example is very similar to the japanese method, but at the same time very different). More commonly european swords are alloys of one blend or another.

European swords are Generaly softer, have less of a lasting/sharp edge, but are however usualy much more flexible. (having a lower carbon content, and OR the carbon hasn't bean heat treated and folded lining up the platlets of carbon in the steel the way katanas are thought to be made).

Most european swords use either a hacking stabbing or hacking method VS the Katanas slicing and cutting methods... Both forms are well suited for thier tasks... In reality Samuria didn't actualy use thier Katana's very much on the battlefield, they where more of adueling weapon... the closest thing to a katana that was commonly used and not just worn as a back up, was either a no daichi, OR a taichi sword (VERY similar to a katana, but shaped differently, having a more defined curve, meant for use on horseback, and is slung differently from a katana across the hip, with the edge facing down rather than up).

the european swords had to go through heavier and thicker armor on the average... peircing is the BEST way to defeat most kinds of armor... this is why many medieval claymore actually had "Teeth" on the blade, or a "Kriss" shape to it... these made penetrating aror on a hack/swing much easier... a straight edge European blade simply didnt have the cutting power to be truly effective VS heavy armor, thus they eneded up not needing to be as sharp... Acting more like a spear and a club combined with an edge... IE you might club your enemy with your broadsword in full plate, occasionaly penetrating the armor doing minor damage, but for the kill you need to peirce the armor with a thrust...

I know this post is long, but please understand I have barely scratched the surface of the differences/strengths/drawbacks of the different weapon types, and I haven't even touched ranged warfair such as bows and arrows... (did you know the japanese long bow was between 9-12 feet in length!? and some could be used to sink the smaller japanese ships with the right arrowheads!?).

Now back to the subject of this thread... If people including myself want to buy replica sabers over a steel, possibly fully edged weapon, to me debating over which is better is silly... it's a matter of taste and interest in the sport... to me telling me you have a quality 420C stainless steel full tang sword and that is it the best, sounds to me like I did when I was 13, yes 13... which was over 12 years ago... I'm not saying this to be insulting... but if you want a quality authentic EDGED sword, from ANY period or culture, be prepared to spend upwards of $1,000 at the bare minimum...

to say your 420C is virtual unbreakable is silly... you know how many of those I have broken? Enough to put you in the poor house... My custom Katana cut right through one of them in a single pass... this is not said to sound UBEr or cool, just to give you an idea of the difference... 420C is surgical stainless... It is comparatively SOFT and buttery when compared to a high carbon content properly heat treated and possibly folded battle sword...

Heres a simply way to test the quality of a blade... it's by no means the end all beat all way... but take a key, and hold the sword by the very end of the hilt so it's hanging loosly in your fingertips... Tap your key against the blade, if it goes clunk, it's a POS rip off... if it rings more or less like a bell or tuning fork viola chances are you got a good blade... or at least one with potential.

Anyway sorry if this post was hella long, but I hope we all learned something fun and interesting on the subject of weaponry...

And as for making idle threats to grind my face in for wanting a saber... you have a invitation to bring it on... I'll face you with a weapon or hand to hand, rocks and sticks or pixie sticks... and unless your george gracey or something... your gonna be crying for mommy within the first 2 seconds of putting up your guard... I promise you that...

Archived