Home

Heavy Sabers Ruin the game!

YoDa2k2

ok hear goes... When i was waiting for JO to come out i heard that the lightsaber combat system was going to be AMAZEING! i was totaly siked! when i got it and played single player the wait was worth it! one epic lightsaber duel after another.... but when i started MP and played aganst a few bots i wasnt too happy.. Most of the bots OVERLY use heavy saber combat, i was like ok fine i would lightsaber duel with bots anymore.. so i go on MP with other people SAME THING people are OVERLY useing heavy sabers! with heavy sabers u can kill some one with 1 or 2 hits! then JO changes from a game of haveing to use l33t tactics to win to a game where u just have to use heavy saber swings aganst eachother and who ever is lucky doesnt get hit and they win so its a game of LUCK on MP and i hate useing heavy sabers i think lightsaber duels should be fast pase and exiteing not about slow powerfull swings where luck really takes over! i think raven should tone down heavy saber attacks... or remove it from the game all together! then JO will be a game thats all about cool and fun fast pace duels! Heavy sabers just pisses the hell outa me! i relly hate it.. Please post ur agreements/disagreements hear.. and can some one tell me an effective way to counter heavy sabers WITH OUT going heavy saber myself? thanks...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Timing, you just have to be fast, go in and out and hit them a lot. If you're playing on a full force server that doesn't work so well though, thanks to the miracle of heal, at that point heavy is something of a must. All part of why I duel in NF servers, I can have FUN playing medium style and clashing sabers and whatnot. I guess I play mainly for the swordfighting and that is the best place to do it.

Maybe you neglected to read the manual but the heavy stance is the primary fighting style for dueling. There are times however when I've seen people using medium stance absolutely tearing people apart.

One way to look at it is like this, the various stages of being a real Jedi (in JO):

1. You're new, you're getting your ass whooped in duals and you don't complain because you know you're new.

2. You've started playing and you notice that some players are only using heavy stance, you get whooped most of the time by them and so you complain about it.

3. You start watching the *real* players deal the smackdown and you notice they don't use heavy stance all the time, or at least are not entirely dependent on using it. You proceed to answer the posts on the boards by people complaining about heavy stance ;)

Yes alot of people do over use heavy stance, and I'am guessing for the primary reason that IT WORKS. And the reason they continue to do so is because apparently while everyone is whinning about it no one is bothering to read the dozens of posts about how to counter it.

Eventually though people will stop using it, all it takes is a few times of getting the crap kicked outa em while they're trying to jump through the air at ya. Case in point, one guy comes at me in a CTF using heavy (I had their flag) and he kills me, mainly because I wasnt paying a whole lot of attention and wasnt ready for it. So I respawn, go get their flag again and here comes the same guy flying through the air at me. I politely force push him to the ground and slice him up with two medium strikes before he can get to his feet. As I'am making my way back toward my team's flag point who do I see coming at me again? You guessed it, the same guy and he's still trying to DFA me. I swift kick to the face sends him spiraling to his death. I make it back to our flag (yay :) ) and score. I look around to see if anyone's trying to make off with our flag when I see Mr. Heavy coming toward me again, a bit more warily this time though yet still using the heavy stance. A brief clash of sabers, and he decides it's time to fly through the air again..and who was I to argue? I politely force pulled him through the air as I sidestepped and watching him plummet to the black depths again. The game continued and I saw the guy a few more times but it seems he figured the medium or fast stances would be more appropriate (and he actually got me again one time using medium).

The point of this story is dont whine about the overuse of the heavy stance, do something about it.

The heavy stance is the WORST 1v1 stance except in no-force games, where it's decent. You can push them down real easy while they're swinging and hit them once or twice when they're on the ground, and you can throw the saber at them whenever they swing until they figure it out.

I love when people use the Heavy Stance they are so freaking slow it is almost laughable.... So why they are busy taking 3 to 4 secs for every swing get in there inbetween there swinging with your medium stance and tear them a new one.

Heavy stance is for those who either just started playing the game or those people who have 3 HP left and hoping to get lucky.... or there are those people who just suck....

what's with all the complaining about heavy stance? i'm not saying i'm l33t or anything, but i am pretty damn good, and nothing makes me laugh harder than working someone over with med stance. i use med about 90% and light 10%. screw heavy. it's so easy to simply jump over/roll away/side step out of the way, them smack them down while they stand there in backswing. same with dfa...just back up, then own them when they're done. i mean really ppl, you can't just sign onto a server the first time and expect to be good. you've got to learn how to play the game. it seems like everyone on these boards comes on and says "i just played my first mp game and grip/heavy/drain owns...how lame!"...it owns you because you just started. keep practicing.

ender.

Nah, I think that the heavy stance is the "expert stance". Any newbie can come and start hacking away in medium or light, but it really takes some skill to duel well with the slower attacks of the heavy stance. It reminds me of the old "Yojimbo" type samurai flicks where every move was crucial because it only took one blow to kill an opponent! BTW, I'm Reptile online, come find me and I'll gladly demonstrate!:)

"Heavy stance is for those who either just started playing the game or those people who have 3 HP left and hoping to get lucky.... or there are those people who just suck...."

Well let's see, I use both heavy and medium. I am very good with heavy, and I did not just start playing, not low on health, and certainly do not suck.

It seems to me that when ppl are talking about red stance, they are really talking about the death from above move. It is the unskilled players that over use DFA.

I use heavy swings,..horizontally and vertically. It is a real skill to land those hits consistantly.

That is all.

The thing that ruins this game is that unskilled, newbie players can use DFA and get "legitimate" kills over.....and over.....and over. And don't say, "If you're good enough you can avoid DFA!" because the fact is, not everyone IS GOOD ENOUGH to avoid DFA.

The game is unbalanced. But Tribes was unbalanced, and managed to be fun. JK2 is unbalanced and, as a direct result, is not fun, and consequently, is no longer worth my time or energy.

That is all.

it constantly amazes me how many people come on here to bitch about this game, and purport to hate it and be done with it, yet they continue to post on these forums.

and btw, i would hardly say that any one stance is the "expert" stance. several times now i have been on servers where someone has talked smack to me, and i've consequently whooped their ass 1v1. some used heavy, some used med, and once or twice light...none of them helped them. hehehe. i don't care what stance you use, there's always an opening.

also, dfa can be avoided 99% of the time in a very simple manner: walk backwards. just back away from them. its that simple. it really is.

ender.

Panacea, I'm sure that as thiungs filter through and the game base stabalizes, less people will use Heavy Saber DFA because it really isn't a useful thing to spam, it just gets utterly pretictable. Experienced players can use it fairly well, but your average newbie telegraphs his move so that you can set up to kill him while he's winding up....

In duels heavy is a skill, as someone said before I've seen people tear apart with the medium stance.

BUT I do hate people who just do the heavy jump attack on FFA servers. I've seen a few people win on those maps, ONLY doing those moves, and NOTHING else. I mean this literally, all they'll do is that attack into a crowd ....

I can't complain because I'm the type of player that will do whatever is needed to win, BUT its just so damn hard to beat those players, without resorting to their tactics :D

Bah, i try to avoid the lightsaber whenever possible.... I mean who needs lightsaber when u can own someone with heavy repeater?? The weapons have excellent range... and u can pick off someone with a lightsaber easily... however, if they get in close, ur bantha fodder..... lol...

I will agree that heavy stance is kinda overused cause I see it everyday, I also use it. But its a good stance, in the game obviously you want to win, who dosent?:confused: with heavy a few hits and thier dead. But not to say light and med are bad either cause I have been killed a few by people who use it but what all the stances come down to in my opinion is skill. Anybody could use light,med,heavy but how skilled you are in it makes all the diffrence. In skill I mean good in all aspects of the game espically in the force, the DFA kill can be easily countered...how you ask...well easy force push, Ive done it to others and others have done it to me. Now you sometimes wont counter it, thats a fact and you cant whine about it cause whining makes no diffrence. You just need get up and fight agian. Anyone can swing wild with all the stance but you must learn timing, aim, and most importantly patience. These all are key to be being good, well in my opinion it is. Now everybody I tell you this nobody is perfect, I usually do very good and get high scores but I have meet people who are better than me and I like that cause I always get better afterwards. Practice,practice,PRACTICE. You will get good in any of the stances and force powers, and so on. But this is strictly my opinion. ;)

I have to laugh every time I hear someone whining about the strong stance. It is not easy to use against someone else who knows how to fight with the lightsaber. Granted any moron can switch it on and swing around wildly (which I see more medium stance people doing than strong stance...) and end up killing people. But to use it effectively takes skill.

Anyway, the strong stance effects are more "realistic" to what a lightsaber would do. In the movies you see Vader get hit once and his armor stops it, any other hits kill or go through what they hit. You don't get to whack someone with it 50 times to kill them.

Besides is it really better to be killed by someone with 10 or 20 blows than to be killed by 1 or 2? Nope.

Also this is the same as complaining because you fought someone with a rocket launcher while using a Stormtrooper rifle. They stronger weapon/more experienced person will win.

I think one of the main things if it gets nerfed, will be for the reason it's the most used. When something is used more than anything else in the game, it tends to be nerfed so people will use other things. This of course, isn't always the case, but sometimes it is.

Well it isn't going to get nerfed. It is a valid stance...some of the people who don't like the stance have a valid arguement but I think the support for the aurguement is that it is too easy for people spamming heavy swings to get kills. Others disagree. But people are going to see the problem diffrent because of....LAG. Some of you don't see a prob putting down a heavy swinger because you might have a good connection and can see the move in real-time. Others though see this swing coming over there heads and go to dodge but BAM!! hit registered already. I have a decent connection but when my good servers are full and I have to move to higher ping servers it really makes a diffrence. I personally feel that if you want to swing your heavy saber go ahead...Nothing is wrong with it. And nothing is wrong with the damage.

Archived