Home

Is the pull-backstab that cheap as many say?

GrEEk_OuTcAsT

In the beginning yes it was really cheap because noone was able to defend it but now there are more that 10 anti-pull-backstab strategies that I have found that work wonders and I really have fun when I play with a good player even if he uses this because I really know how to counter or at least eliminate it as much as possible.

The REAL problem in my opinion is not the Pull - backstab thing but the forces Drain and Healing (Healing only in Jedi Master Skill that energy regenerated fast). When everyone can get 50 Health back whenever he wants that means that the only solution to kill him is the ONE HIT KILL.

Now because of Drain and Healing the forces: Saber Throw, Lightning, Grip (if not abyss map) and the standart Saber Combat are useless. Whatever damage that will be done with these will be replenished easily with result all people to focus in one hit kills because the game will never end. My suggestion is to Completely REMOVE Drain and Healing or at least make them REALLY weak as these have destroyed the game.

Having played in servers with only Healing/Drain Disabled I have found that a lot more moves are used except the pull backstab. Because even the minor damage can't be replenished. Saber Throw is used a lot because 30 Damage is very nice.

Just think of it the heavy backstabers walk many times backwards which makes them really weak vs Throws. Say you will hit him 3 times with throw while being away, just one kick left and he is dead. From the other side if there was Drain you would hit him 2 Throws and he would heal and go around 90 again. This will happen all the time so the only solution is a special move like backstab.

All the problem is in healing and much more in drain. These are the main problems. After all I find pulling - backstab pretty realistic for the Star Wars Movies cause as we know bringing down someone should mean that you are in a great advantage and you should deserve to have a 70% kill.

I will hate the game if it will have a lot of standart Saber Combat. Yes it will be cool to look like the movies but hey that wouldn't require skill as it doesn't know. Even if you are a first time player if you swing like crazy randomly with the Blue Style you will get some random kills even vs an experienced player in Saber combat. Saber Combat is VERY RANDOM and I hate this. Not to mention that damages of saber are f@ked up. There are times that I lose 40 Health if I just touch the enemies saber at the end of the swing when the enemy loses 10 Health when I have cutted him in 2 with a Red Style Swing. Only luck nothing else in normal saber combat.

no matter what they do, people will complain if they are finished with the same move all the time. I feel right now the strategy is to pull/push your opponent off balance and attack them while they are down. You are right in that you can block a pull or push for the most part, but you have to be an expert to do it all the time.

No matter what there will always be a "more" popular move as it happens with every game in the world. There is no fully balanced game at all. But the point is that with practice and such it CAN be defended easily as I do and as I know many that do and I have real fun when playing with them. Personally I don't want another change in multiplayer gameplay except from this that I said. This will help many things in my opinion. But changing all things again seems stupid.

I don't know what's worse? Players complaining they're getting spammed. Or spammers complaing that people are complaining about them.

I think most people complain that they're being spammed because they want to get on a game and be able to fight. I don't think it's because they're not winning. It's plain frustrating when want to have fun, swing a Lightsaber a few times, and maybe beat the guy. It's not fun to walk into a fight, and as soon as they get there, someone pulls them down and one-hit-kills them. Then you say make sure you use absorb. So they do that, go into a fight, and as soon as they get there, someone kicks them down and one-hit-kills them. Either way, they keep getting sent all the way back to the beginning, have to go all the way back to whereever, and just get killed immediately again. Then someone would say go to another server. The problem too many people are doing it now to avoid. "So you either live with it, or don't play at all." That's ****ing nice.

So now, my question is...why are the spammers constantly whining about the whiners on this board. Guilty conscience maybe? I can't think of any other logical reason they would be.

There are ways to defeat a spammer. I can't say it's nearly as many as Greek says...let me know what those are would ya? The only problem is they work probably only 10% of the time.

Now...don't know much about heal and drain, but in my opinion, ABSORB needs to be toned down. It uses so little force power, people basically run around invincible the whole game (I am exagerrating a bit). Think it needs to use a lot of force power. In reality it sure would, fending off all of those force attacks would be brutal on a jedi, they'd need to lay down for a half hour

:p

Most important thing to remember, though, is that this is just a game. Enjoy it or don't.

I think greek is rite, there'll always be a popular move, if back stab is tone down in da next patch then somethin else will be there to replace it... so its bout time we start dealing wif it

but the only problem i've found its not the back stab, or drain or heal or kick or anything, raven design the MP game so that everythin can be counter by sumthin, but the fact that all these counters can only be done if ur fully focus on one player, eg dueling... in a ffa match or CTF most of the time when ur fighting 6-7 ppl at once there's no way to not be randomly push or pull by one guy in there that jams on his push/ pull keys all day. raven did not design JO to allow one player to fight multiple saber wielding, force powerin jedis at once...

there's nothing wrong with aborsb taking so little force at a time, i use it so i can get a clean saber fight

All this talk about move spamming would not be occuring if Raven did one thing, and one thing only:

Base the multiplayer game mechanics off of the single player game.

The special moves are not rotatable, force powers require judicious use, guns could use a little tweaking, etc.

Otherwise, we will have to deal with shovelware until Raven decides to do what is right.

FFA is never going to be balanced by the time it is close combat. It is logical that when someone fights someone there will be someone else that will either Light, Throw one of the Duelers. FFA is never going to be enjoyable except if there are weapons. Really why there is no massed Saber Combat in the Star Wars movies? Because some could make easily Obi Wan without Head when we was dueling a Stupid Trooper.

My point is that the low damage moves/forces are useless in Duel because Drain/Healing replenish this minor damage easily. So all people then focus in ONE HIT KILLS and they don't care if they will get shooted by saber throw or a kick because one move for them is the win. The backstab the DFA and the AirFlip. The 95% of force "drain-healing enabled" duels end with this. The ones that have drain healing disabled suprisingly there are kills with Lightning, Throws, Kicks and even standart swings.

It's not fun to walk into a fight, and as soon as they get there, someone pulls them down and one-hit-kills them

gotta say I agree with intoxictd...

I hate that...

I dont mind ppl using this move vs me, but it just sucks when you get spammed before you even move.

hello, bow, trip, backstab, next...

hello, bow, trip, backstab, next...

boring

if you have the skillz, and want to hit the backstab, right on, just make it part of your repertoire, not the whole thing !

my personal experience is that most of the ppl that get on a server and dominate with this move cant fight for shi* if you manage to avoid the ONE move they know.

and as far as absorb goes, that just bites.

what if you want to play dark ?

being forced to play light side just to avoid the trip/backstab ppl just stinks, lightside is ok, but who wants to run around invincible with absorb on ?

IMO the play balance is ok for now, even absorb is possible to deal with if you know what your doing...

but any duel is just no fun when you cant even swing your saber cause some fool is pulling at you every 2 seconds...

lately, I have found several servers that run a fair game.

not the settings mind you, just the players agreeing not to spamm the same move.

my personal agreement on a server is,

no trip spamming = no lightning (some tripping ok. backstab ok, just no assfighting)

no heal = no drain.

and this seems to go over fairly well with most of the players I meet.

the exceptions know who they are, and do what everyone hates,

either hit you with lightning as soon as you spawn, or hit the cheap moves.

just my 2 cents

I look forward to playing anyone that wants to FIGHT, and not just rack up kills.

look for me if you can play like a good sport. I play under

Padi Juan

:D

i dont mind pull/slash as much ... it doesnt really affect me, cause nobody can ever seem to pull it off well. whether this is because im playing newbies or because i just seem to be able to avoid it im not sure ... but i just dont find myself getting slashed while on the ground very much ...

There are many ways to defend it.

"hello, bow, trip, backstab, next...

hello, bow, trip, backstab, next... "

If you know how to play with FORCES this doesn't happen, but if you suck or you are a no-force guy that things JK2 is pressing the attack button all the time in Blue Style while following the enemy then you deserve to die fast...

"my personal experience is that most of the ppl that get on a server and dominate with this move cant fight for shi* if you manage to avoid the ONE move they know."

Well this is your impression. They just know that it is easier to kill someone with Pull Backstab instead of an other move that even if they learn it, it will be useless. The good player is the one that wins with the standart settings not the one that wins with Custom Rules that he has made. No backstabs, No Pull, No Drain my @$$. And Light Side is good only in "Jedi Master" that the force regenerates fast. In "Jedi Knight" Dark Side Rules. But of course because of the MASSED RANDOM COMBAT that there is in the FFA games Light seems to be better because it is really difficult to defend 3 players at the same time that try to throw you down.

I know that in FFA the spammed backstabs seem stupid but as I said it is never going to be balanced FFA by the time it is close combat. If it is not Backstab it will be the Airflip or DFA or even kicks all the time. At least now people keep a distance because they fear to get Pulled.

"no trip spamming = no lightning (some tripping ok. backstab ok, just no assfighting)

no heal = no drain. "

I don't understand what you mean with assfighting. When I first played JK2 in the 1.03 I used too much Heavy Stance Swings and the enemies was saying that I was assfighting doing all the same. They complained all the time instead of trying to find a way to defend my move. But they thought that I was using the MASTER move. I was just doing Heavy Swings with Back-right. After they found to defend it, I started using Drain - Lightning exclusively. Then again I was assfighting for them till they found to use kick, push. absorb, drain then again I switched to heavy kicking and backstabs and later in the way we are now, Pull - Backstab.

instead of complaining all the time in the chats and the forums try to think yourself how do defend and avoid something. Don't expect that Raven will make you a good player when the next patch will be released.

So instead of complaining learn that:

1)Backstab to a Protect level 2 player does 30 Damage.

2)You can 100% avoid a pull backstab if you enable Dark Rage by the time you are down and then run back.

3)you must have Pull to counter Pull and Push to counter Push. This is the best auto-defense against pull that doesn't require force.

4)That you can't be pulled down when not moving or in air and when moving in the correct way.

5)Air Flip executed in the correct moment is one of the best pull - backstab counters.

and much more that you will find yourself...

c'mon a problem with heal and drain? lol, both of these have been tooned down to be next to useless with 1.03 (and as someone playing light most of the time I found heal being a waste of force pool and points to distribute pre patch too).

instead of complaining all the time in the chats and the forums try to think yourself how do defend and avoid something. Don't expect that Raven will make you a good player when the next patch will be released.

how about taking some of your own advice then GrEEk_OuTcAsT ;). PPL using drain and heal a lot abuse their force pool and get vulnerable to force attacks real fast - I really don't see any problem there *shrugg*.

I play a lot of CTF and even on all guns servers I mainly use the saber, with 1.03 I don't have the time to f*** arround getting our flag back, defending it or get ridd of players who insist on fighting me while I move from A to B and therefor make extensive use of pull backstab/-slash acomodated by kicks if pull is unsuccsesfull. Right now that's the only reliable fast solution there is, thanks to the 1.03 patch making general saber combat somewhat spongy (if it ain't backstab/-slash it's mostly running and random chopping like a headless chicken). I agree it's a bit different on duel servers, but if one side going for pull/push (i wonder why ;)), the duel will shift to a push/pull/kick contest with the ocasional throw real fast - Is this how we imagine saber combat? Although I have the pull/backstab down pretty well I personally prefered how saber combat worked pre patch - the only thing that was really needed there is toning the DFA part where the saber is burried into the ground. The other moves have to be upgraded (not backstab downgraded, else we will be using pillows soon :D) in order to make it worthwile using something else. Red stance is pretty useless now, you can dance around those using it and or just throw the saber whenever they start an attack, to many swings get blocked in 1.03 and if they do pass they don't deal out any damage. Maybe I just lack skill, but I find it hard to do combos that pay off, doing some smart sabering where I would try to launch my swing at an oponents vulnerable flank/back like pre patch - therfore i take the easy path of pull backstab :\.

Sure there's some defense to pull and backstab, but I hardly see players being good at it and those that are (besides just knowing how to enable absorb) most likely are good allaround players.

I'm not seeking to become an auto-better player by a new patch, I don't mind getting wasted by better players using any technique (heck that's where the challenge is, if it's all a walk in the park it would be boooring ;)), I would just like to see some of the other moves or combos being rewarding too for simply having some alternatives.

Assfighting, nope it's not what you described GrEEk_OuTcAsT, assfighting is just aimlessly holding the backwards button (and therfor travelling the map backwards) while hitting primary attack continuously, hoping to bump into someone (they can't see where they are going), where this will then translate to a backstab/slash. These aren't much of a problem cause it's pretty easy to avoid and counter.

I like the dark side, I use the dark side almost constantly. I enjoy grip, I enjoy rage. I cant enjoy it anymore.

Everywhere I go, theres always at least two morons explicitly using nothing but pull/backstab. Rage is halfway decent against them, but totally unreliable. The only solution, is to use absorb.

This utterly STUPID move has made force absorb required ALL THE TIME.

The backstab has no place in a FFA environment, I say there should at least be a server option to disable it.

Well.. There is no absorb when you drain the enemy all the time and has not Force Energy. You can try avoiding his attack which is easy as by the time they have absorb they fight only with saber and some forces used make them with no energy... which means DeActivate Absorb and make them like crazy going back. But if you know to play you will not let him have energy not even for a pull try. So he is almost dead. The problem comes in Jedi Master where the Energy regenerates very fast (4-6 seconds to full) and someone can activate Absorb and Protect whenever we wants. But then again even if it is more difficult a good Drain user can make Absorb inaccesible. And after all with Dark Rage in Jedi Master a light player is never gonna make succesfully a Pull - Backstab.

There are many solutions you just need to discover them.

I don't know Greek, I've tried drain on them. They always seem to have plenty of energy left after that. Another thing I've noticed. Some of these spammers have enough energy to pull at you a many more times than they should be able to with absorb on. When I try this, my absorb turns off because of lack of force mana. I've spectated some of these people, and their force never seems to drop below half using absorb and continuosly using force pull. This is on a no cheat server, too.

There can be a slight chance that I might just not know what I am talking about, but again, my force mana never lasts half as long as these peoples. So WTF is up?

you have to remember that when you are pulled, and you are facing the puller you use Push to counter it.

So if you are using absorb and push, you are gaining 0 force points whenever someone pulls you.

if you plan on using absorb, maybe you need to not use push?

I have found when using absorb to counter the push backstabbers i have to toggle absorb on and off, because they are waiting for me to drain my force power with absorb

It is really nasty to see an assfighting Rello :barf:

instead of complaining all the time in the chats and the forums

sorry about my incessant complaining (in your opinion) geek_outcast...

but before you flame me for that, go back and read my post...

-I said I dont mind the move.

-I said it is perfectly fine with me, as long as ppl dont spam me with it.

-I said the play balance is fine as far as I am concerned, except for the said 'spamming'

-I said that I dont like spawning into some fool tripping me, then backstabbing me B4 I even get a chance to step forward (or bow, or turn on my saber, or configure my stance/power)

-and I never once said that I did not know how to counter (you just assumed, bro and we all know the joke about that)

your suggestions are all good ones, with the exception of rage in my opinion (hate it, why take HP from myself ?)

also, as far as my 'constant' complaining. check the number of posts.. 2

and I dont use 'chat' rooms.

is that constant ? then damn...

:D

Originally posted by BigMexican

i1)Backstab to a Protect level 2 player does 30 Damage.

2)You can 100% avoid a pull backstab if you enable Dark Rage by the time you are down and then run back.

3)you must have Pull to counter Pull and Push to counter Push. This is the best auto-defense against pull that doesn't require force.

4)That you can't be pulled down when not moving or in air and when moving in the correct way.

5)Air Flip executed in the correct moment is one of the best pull - backstab counters.

1) True, but only useful if you're playing as light side. And if your'e playing as lightside, you've got absorb, so you should be ok anways. Countering *ANYTHING* is easy for lightside. This is primarily due to the badly overpowered absorb.

2) I'm not so sure about this. This might work for backstab, but I don't will work for a sweep. I'd have to test it to be sure, if it's true, than perhaps this is the counter that darkside players have been dying to find.

3) Yes. Too bad it only works part of the time.

4) Simply not true. This is how the game is SUPPOSED to work. Sadly it's not true in practice. You will get pulled down to the ground in many instances where clearly you should have blocked if you do not rely on absorb. The auto pull/push counter is buggy at best. For a simple proof of this, try combining roll and pull and rolling up directly in front of someone. This sort of pull cannot be blocked except by absorb. I think the game thinks the pull is coming from behind when its really not. . . There are several other instances where pull and push won't block when they should. It's very frustrating for a non-light side user. Lets also not forget that if your in a 2 on 1 situation, with one player pulling on one side, and the other behind you, you're screwed.

5) Who told you that lie? Sure this can work against newbies, but no skilled player will let you kick him. As soon as you jump, you are vunerable to pull. A well-timed pull WILL knock you down on your ass. Also, its important to note that red sweep (not yellow sweep though) is uninterruptable. A kick to the face to someone sweeping will not MOVE them at all. They will not budge, they will not stop swinging, they will not be knocked down (They should take damage). Kicking a red-stance sweeper will be your death.

The bottom line is that unless you're using lightside, you're in trouble. You have to rely primarily on the natural pull/push blocking and become VERY good at timing your attacks in order to stay alive. Against expert players who know who to exploit pull properly, you will likely die to pull/sweep about 25% of the time. I refuse to use lightside until it is balanced. Until then, I will play Dark Side for the challenge and for the fun. . .

I never use DFA, pull-backstab, rarely use a "backstab" in any stance (maybe once an hour or so) nor do I do any of this "cheap" crap I am constantly reading about. I win nearly every duel I play just responding naturally to my opponent, not using any attack over and over, or having a special thought out plan for each attack. I simply react.

If I get pulled, I tap jump fast and roll out of the way, or just jump into the air. Dont underestimate backflip btw, it gets you out of many sticky situations. I play Light, and generally have absorb ready. If someone starts trying to pull me (it never works since in duels good players usually stand still waiting for the other to attack, and standing still, you wont fall to a pull) I simply push him, he goes back a few feet, I turn absorb on and charge him with red. If I am not in a duel, well, every situation is so different I wont go into that (thats not to say there aren't variations in duels, but you know what im trying to say). I believe greek has a point, there are many ways to get around attacks in the game, and it can be broken down to a game of paper-rock-scissors, with the fastest thinker/reflexes coming out on top, as it should be.

Absorb is overpowered, especially in duels, but in FFAs and vs more than one player at once, it isnt that good. A Light Sider finds his opponents actions too sporadic to know if it is he who is gonna be pushed/pulled/grabbed etc. next or not, so he can try to wear it the entire time, which means as his life slowly wanes (due to gradual hits of opponents), he wont have force power for healing if he is not made the target of many forces moves. Light is good at standing up against/countering one opponent, but when it comes to FFAs where there is generally a 3 (often times more) person frenzy, its easy for Dark to come out with more kills. All a Dark Sider needs to do is whip out lightning and he can wreak havoc on the group. It is true they can turn on absorb, but this takes a second, and in a frenzy can be difficult for many players to do without making themselves vulnerable for a short time (assuming, as I said, they have the mana, after doing all this minor wound healing Greek keeps talking about).

Healing isn't all that good, just keep attacking the Lightsider and wearing him down, trust me he can't hold it up that long. I find it funny, in many duels I play, I will be low on health and force power, so I backflip (or roll or run) a few times to wait for my force power to recharge, and my oppoent simply stares back at me from afar. Once a lightsider sits there to heal, he may be helping his hp, but he is damaging his fp, and a damaged fp makes it all the easier to throw him around and have your way with him.

In the end, Greek's major point about taking a second to think up a counter to your opponent, particularly when they use the same thing over and over, is excellent advice. But don't sit and wait for it! Otherwise that is all you will every be ready for. Incorporate it into you general reflexes, this takes time, but you can do it! You should not be thinking "Ok, I'm ready, come on, bring it, bring that crazy move that always beats me, come on." Just allow yourself to lose to it while knowing what you SHOULD have done to beat it, this way your brain (yes I said your brain) will gradually adapt and you wont have to think about what you are doing so carefully, it will just react and you will counter before you know what happened.

I am fairly new to this JK and honestly don't care much for someone who reapeatedly does push\backstab and all that junk but there are ways around it. Its not like it is impossible to avoid. In FFA if I see someone is gonna do that junk to me I retreat and try to lob a few explosives into em with the flak gun. If its a sabers only server then i'll throw me saber. It's annoying , and I think spamming someone like that is awful but remember how bad the first JK was with the Grip spam and dark surge???? eh? eh?. This game is great and fixes alot of bougus stuff and not to mention balances sabers\force and guns pretty well. (I bet you guys already know I use lightside) . I have a n00b1 question though. How come when I have absorb on(full lvl3 one) I get knocked down when someone force pushes me, are they actually jump kicking me too and then goin to the backstab?

P.S. thanx alot for your input guys . the reading helps alot and I almost have my strategy developed.

In answer to the question, Yes, it is cheap and lets face it utterly dull and cowardly.

If you can't get throught the game without using this cheap move then there's something wrong with you. It's present in all games, of which I only frequent the team games and do well without using this move.

Avoiding it? Yes there are ways, but why shud we have to?? a simple tweak in 1.04 to reduce the amount of damage caused by backstab would solve the 'problem'.

Additional problem: when u play at 39k ur chances of avoiding such a move are pretty much zero. I should know :(

:fett:

• 2 weeks later...

AAARGH

You people are so ****ing stupid I am so sick to death of it AAARGH.

Look, I don't know what hallucinogens you've been smoking but you're completely *WRONG* about neutral force pull / push blocking, here are some very simple ground rules, and I know, i use dark side, I don't have absorb, I use this, I *never* get knocked down without knowing exactly why and it being a mistake on *my* part.

Love your opponent, when they kill you, they've taught you something that you need to fix in your defenses.

The very hardest thing to counter in this entire game if you stick to saber / force powers is absorb + gunners, golan arms or rocket launcher or other explosive projectile weapons, In fact I don't even *know* a counter for that except using dark side (dark rage + blue style cuts them to ribbons in seconds far faster than they can run backward and try to kill you whilst you're pseudo invincible)

Pull/backstab or push/backstab is *not* hard to avoid.

realise.

1) l3 pull entirely negates l3 pull *knockdown* unless your fingers are on the directional keys, +forward +back +moveleft or +moveright, yes, entirely, that means you can jump at someone without touching the dir keys at the end and you will only be vulnerable whilst your fingers are on those keys, that goes for DFA, roll, medium finisher, backsweep, *everything*. it doesn't matter which goddamn direction you're facing, what sort of momentum you approach your opponent with, nothing matters, if they keep their fingers off the dir keys they don't fall over, no, really, end of ****ing story, try it for yourself, create a server and get a friend to join it so that there are no lag issues, I'm completely right, I have tested this many times and anyone who says different is just plain wrong.

2) as above, l3 push entirely negates l3 push

3) you can still be *moved* whilst executing a given move without dirkey presses, just not knocked over, that means that if you dfa, and you're not pressing the dir keys, and someone close to you attempts to pull you down, they will die. If you're not executing a move, using a force power, or moving then you can't even be *moved* when using the passive counters.

4) if the above is really too damned hard for you to understand then QUIT BITCHING and stick to the light side of the force, you can be a complete cockwinder, jumping all over the place running back and forth and completely ignoring any passive pull / push counters and *still* not be moved even slightly. If you want to play a dark jedi, GET SKILLS.

5) If you hit the floor, it is *NOT* game over.

6) Sith counter once on the ground, dark rage, you will get up faster than your enemy can even pull off a backsweep, and you will be able to execute yours *PLUS* the damage boost provided by dark rage. In other words, They're dead, you're not, move on.

7) Jedi counter once on the ground, protect, no recovery time, but you do need a full force pool to pull this off if your opponent moves with the entire backsweep keeping his saber in your body the entire way through, you get no speed boost so you won't be able to pull off your own sweep to counter his, unless he sucks and is slow. not as good as the dark side counter, but if you're a light jedi and you're on the ground there is something severely wrong with you *ANYWAY*

Jesus christ ****ing whiners, man, if there was just one thing that could be patched in real 1.04 I wish there was a squelch command and vote kicking was removed.

Archived