Home

Programs used to create Lucasarts games?

dottrox

*Reaching back into possibly not-to-reliable memories* I'm sure they use quite a lot of programs. Since you're talking about background art, I'm sure they do a lot with Photoshop but with at least some games the backgrounds start as scanned artwork.

There is an 'Ask LucasArts' thing on the official site. You might have better luck getting a useful answer.

Since they were used for various Humungous games too, they might still be used. In any event, without saying more than I can, they might be facing a revival :) Nothing to do with SCUMMBag, which is dormant at the moment :) And I don't want to be spreading crazy rumours, so I'll just add, no, I sincerely doubt LEC will ever use the SCUMM tools again.

- Serge

why, i said that based on Ron Gilbert latest interview for Mixnmojo where he said "We are developing a new story system at Hulabee Entertainment, SCUMM is a great one, but it has been around for 15 years". LEC seems to be completely moved to Grim like 3D engines instead and i doubt Full Throttle II (if it'll be an adventure game) will use SCUMM too.

Alot of the earlier backgrounds and graphics were created in Electronic Arts' Deluxe Paint on an Amiga.

You could say that that program is responsible for naming our favorite Monkey Island hero. Since Ron Gilbert was taking a look some of the lead character sprites that the artist had created and the artist didn't know what to call the character so, he saved the character as Guy and Deluxe Paint added the file extension .brush. When Ron saw the file name guy.brush, he loved it decided to the lead character Guybrush.

I'm just full of useless trivia today.

Originally posted by Serge

And I don't want to be spreading crazy rumours, so I'll just add, no, I sincerely doubt LEC will ever use the SCUMM tools again.

- Serge

*grumble grumble* Well, if anyone else is going to use them they'll have to pry them from LECs dying fingers. They just issued ScummVM with a takedown notice (all factually incorrect, so I'm just ignoring it :)

hey Jason I had a feeling about that :) I'm serious, when I used DeluxePaint II on AppleIIgs (many many years ago) I said :"these files are named .brush, it reminds me of Guybrush" of course i owned IIgs but already played Monkey2 on Mac

Endy, with don't you tell LEC yours is a general purpose engine and not only SCUMM related? After all it runs Simon the Sorcerer as well

Originally posted by Drigo Zoxx

hey Jason I had a feeling about that :) I'm serious, when I used DeluxePaint II on AppleIIgs (many many years ago) I said :"these files are named .brush, it reminds me of Guybrush" of course i owned IIgs but already played Monkey2 on Mac

Drifting more off topic here, but Apple IIgs's own all.

Archived