Home

Community idea's for a possible SW:GB 2

Darth Windu

Guest DarthMaulUK

There will be a patch released either sometime this week or early next week for Clone Campaigns and addresses a few balance issues in the game.

I have some details but I am not allowed to release them yet, so watch out for the thread.

As for my thread Windu, it was my view that LA should move away from SWGB. Maybe I should have put my reasons in but although there is still a chance of another add-on pack, but it won't happen as LA have not mentioned it in their up coming releases.

Clone campaigns was popular as it had Episode II content. As for a SWGB 2 - I am yet to be convinced by 3-D RTS games - although the new Medievil Total War engine looks great (makers of Shogun) and maybe the engine used for Cossacks.

Remember, the engine has to allow to you control many units in a short space. One thing I would LOVE to see removed from SWGB is the farming. Totally pointless. Shelters could be counted as farms and yield food as it becomes a chore having to re-farm when they have become useless - something you forget to do in the heat of a battle.

Also, SWGB 2 should remove the ancient way the units march into battle. Using medievil formations should be ditched in favour of maybe smaller squads which don't need to move around in a formation as such.

DMUK

http://www.galacticbattles.com/clonecampaigns

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trade federation should have better aircraft, and the droid starfighters should be able to fly down and walk on the surface.

Replace the trade federation worker droid OX9 with the PK-droid.

Trade federation assault mechs should have place for 20 infantry units instead of 10, after a cheap research, "Droid rack" or something.

Trade federation mech destroyers should have doubled attacks attacks after a research, "Proton torpedos"(?).

Imperial AT-AT should have a shield after a very expensive upgrade.

Trade federation navy should be bad.

And most units should be able to fire while moving.

Well, thats all for now.

good idea's everyone, i'm glad that everyone (well almost) is getting in and posting their idea's.

sithmaster - funnily enough, i actually agree with some of your ideas. With the Sith part of my original post, not to worried about that, but i do want the Jedi change, also if a new engine can make things more unique, and add the gunship im all for it :). Also, of course there would have to be changes to walls, i just find them somewhat useless, it would also increase the importance of the units that can fire over walls, and of course i find it a little ...odd that a trooper can fire straight through a wall at another trooper.

darthmaulUK - i dont mind you posting that, i was only making my statement because it seemed that your previous post was all about that rebellion game. Also, i would like SW:GB 2, if released, to be released after episode 3 has been released, so we can take advantage of all of the movies and units.

More ideas-

-keep the 8 races, but merge the gungans/naboo, and add the hutt's as a playable race (sandcrawlers, jawa's, mounted sandpeople etc)

I'm curious as to why so many people seem married to the idea of 8 races only. Is this some sort of magic number? Age of Empires I and II both had more than 8 races...who cares if there are only 8 players in a game? I can tell you that rarely do I find 8 player games in which every person picks a different race anyway, unless that was specifically requested in the rules at the start of the game. Maybe having 20 races is a little impractical, but isn't this a wish list sort of thread anyway (speaking of which, c'mon people...wish a little more...everyone's wish lists are so simple)? I think the game, IF its ever made, should have at least 12 races, so as to give a little variety to games. I also don't care if there's some overlap between races...I think that adds "realism" as some of the races have similar units and methods...its not like they're exact clones of each other, they're just tweaked enough to change a player's tactics. AoE/AoK had a TON of civ overlap, and no one seemed to complain there.

Basically the thing I'm most annoyed by in SWGB is the lack of a Hutt civ....I mean, c'mon....Wookies? Chewbacca was really the only element of Wookie culture to appear in the movies at all. Even the Mon Calamari had several memebers of their race, some of their ships, etc appear in the movies. Not that the Wookies aren't fun to play, but overlooking the Hutts for the sake of Wookies was a mistake.

I also DO NOT think that Gungans and Naboo should be combined. The cultures are shown as being very distinct in Episode I, and I think the differences are clear enough to warrant two civilizations. Sure, they are allies in the movie, but that doesn't mean they are one homogenous culture. I also think, as per earlier in my post, that the last thing the game needs is LESS civs.

Oh and Sithmaster?

Just out of curiosity, which of my ideas do you think would be too much micro?

I'm not challenging you or anything, I'm just curious so maybe I can change something around to try to figure out a better way it could be done.

I've got a couple more ideas to throw out there....

What if there were traps? Like minefields, or the crazy Ewok traps from Return of the Jedi? It might be a cool way to protect your perimeter or guard a narrow passage thru the forest...ambush central. The spider mines in Starcraft were a great idea and its a shame they haven't carried over to many RTS games.

Also, what if, as part of the correction to the walls problem, certain civs or units could scale walls or dig under them? Maybe Wookies and Ewoks or such could all scale walls, whereas only special commandos or some such from other civs could do it. And maybe Geonosians could burrow under the walls easily, or bury themselves in the ground somehow.

Man, I love these sorts of threads. Fun to play "What if?"

Guest DarthMaulUK

If SWGB 2 was to be released after episode 3 - there is NO WAY on earth it can use the Age Of Empires game engine. It would be far too old and by then RTS games will be into 3-D.

So, if LA are planning another RTS star wars game it should be:

1) Produced by Garry Gaber (cool guy and has made the 2nd best SW RTS game - first being rebellion/supremacy)

2) 3-D

3) Have more of a Star Wars feel to it

There you go

DMUK

http://www.galacticbattles.com

Even more ideas from me.....

-"Officers" that slightly boost the reaction time, coordination, and "intelligence" of the troopers around them. Promotions could be earned by field experience, bought at the command center for a high cost, or perhaps some officers could be constructed directly, sort of like an ROTC, but very expensive. The cheap way to get promotions would be to survive a lot of battles.

-The ability to pirate trade routes by intercepting and capturing or destroying cargo ferries.

-"Hover Trains" that could haul large amounts of trade goods, resources, troops, etc alond pre-determined routes. Just like real trains, they could not change course and would be easily destroyed if an enemy broke up the route or attacked the train. They would just be a way of easily moving large numbers of items in peaceful areas. Along these lines, I think that tribute should have to physically travel to your ally.

-Ground-based Ion cannons that could temporarily disable air cruisers or large space vehicles (not small fighters/bombers, etc) This would give your units time to escape or attack the cruiser at leisure.

And posters, how about some actual GAMEPLAY ideas instead of just endless debate over the engine type or when a sequel might come out? I'm sure if we all pool our heads we can come up with some amazing ideas here.

jcb-The more options you give units, the more micro is involved through holding keys/hitting buttons. Also, they were going to add a Hutt civ into CC but they ran out of time and wanted to stay consistent with the AOTC theme.

The ability to pirate trade routes by intercepting and capturing or destroying cargo ferries.

They tried doing that in AoK:TC but it didnt work out right.

"Officers" that slightly boost the reaction time, coordination, and "intelligence" of the troopers around them. Promotions could be earned by field experience, bought at the command center for a high cost, or perhaps some officers could be constructed directly, sort of like an ROTC, but very expensive. The cheap way to get promotions would be to survive a lot of battles.

I dont know about every one else, but i dont like those moral/commander helps moral RTS's. Also, that whole idea about gaining units through promonition was in AoM, but they cut it because it didnt give the player control of when and where they get specefic units. But they said that they kept a part of that idea for the Norse herisirs (Greg Street hinted it would be revealed in the Odin Showcase this Friday)

DMUK, i agree. This game has to feel less like a medival make over and more like Star Wars

Thanks for the input, sithmaster!

Perhaps I should clarify....

None of these "special" actions would be necessarry to perform. They would just be availalbe if a player WANTED to use them. So if a player wanted to simply click and attack, they could, wheras another player could micro-plan an elaborate offensive.

I'm sure the pirating thing could work if someone tried hard enough.

And the officers thing would be subtle....a player would still build and research troopers, trooper recruits, heavy troopers, etc.

The difference would be that say you sent 50 stormtroopers into battle....3 return. You hook those 3 up with another battalion and send them out again, maybe only 1 survives. He would have gained "experience" for his kill tallies, and could be considered a "Stormtrooper Officer" who would slightly boost his skills and those immediately around him or oredered under his command. Basically the only way you would notice is that if you put him head to head with a novice stromtrooper he would beat it, and his troops would have better target prioritizing a be a bit more orderly in their assaults. It would, like so many of my ideas, just be a subtle, but hopefully cool, little touch. Maybe a light change in the units' icon could refelct his rank, such as colored stripes on the clonetroopers. Basically the player would still have complete control over the types of units produced, just some of those troops would improve a little bit with experience...just a little bit.

While we're discussing changes that are largely cosmetic, I think that the appearnce of Jedi, Bounty Hunters, etc should be a bit varied.....some alien jedi, various boutny hunters etc....maybe just a few per civ. Maybe also female troops for Rebels or such. That would add just a little more variety to the game.

Ok, I'm back :evil1:

1) Merge Ganguns and Naboo?! WTF?

2)I like the Officer idea

3)jcb, The reason for less civs than AoK is AoK used less art. There were 5 castes (with the X-Pack) : Mezo-American, Mongol/Hun, European, Oreintal and Middle-Eastern. So GB already contains more art than AoK AND it's X-Pack

Yeah, I understand why it's difficult to make more civs, I just don't understand why any one wouldn't WANT more civs, unless of course you're the poor schmuck assigned to programming them.

I think that while we're on the "more civs" subject, two more civs to add to my list would be cool.

XXI--The Corellians (would have amazing and cheap air strength, piloting skills, powerful air cruisers. Would have weaker troops and navy, would also have stealth cargo ships (blockade runners) that could fly)

XXII--The Sith Empire (Ancient Empire shown in comic books....would be primitve in some ways but have phenomenal dark side abilities and the ability to enslave workers)

Also, I think that the ability to mine spice would be great...only "illegal" civs could mine it as it is a drug, but they would gain huge cash bonuses from it. However, it would be exceedingly rare and would eventually kill the workers that collect it.

That's it for now.....I'm around this computer for work practically all day so I'm sure I'll come up with more. Toss out those ideas, people!

Oh, oh!

Another idea.

What if workers could "harness" beast of burden animals like dewbacks or banthas and use them to increase the amount of materials they can carry?

Or what if thee were special mining vehicles, like mobile versions of the carbon processing center or some such that could process and collect materials? These could be very expensive and slow moving things.

Along those same lines, I think it would be cool if utility trawlers had more uses....like the ability to gather carbon, nova, and ore from some type of underwater sources, or build underwater buildings for certain civs, like the gungans and the mon calamari.

A special type of flying worker would be cool too....maybe just for the Bespin civilization or something.

Also, I think that having two Faambas together would be cool, as they could reinforce each other like in the movie.

Later.

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

OK u are talking right now. I also do not understand why players WONT want more civs. I was simply explaining WHY the current situation is.:)

BTW u can edit posts to put more stuff into them. It will make the mods think better of u.;)

I agree, Crazy Dog, we need betwen 2 and 6 new races.

I am opposed to the addition of more races for one simple reason. Variety (and balanced, and distinctiveness). Ok, to explain, i think that at the moment, some races (Rebels and Republic) are to similar already, not trying to offend anyone, but about 20 races is insane. What i would prefer is to have about 8 races (10 max) but make them have bigger differences to each other, so that each has their own distinctive playing style, that would be impossible with 20 races. The only reason i suggested the gungan/naboo mix was to give a slot to another race (hutts i want) and i chose those two because they are from the same planet, and would now to working together.

I think that many many many civs could be made....although I can think of only about 16-22 total that I would really want.

I think it is very easy to make civs that offer different playing options and experiences. That is why I think SWGB2 should offer a wider array or civ-specific abilities, so as to further vary the gameplay.

But on the flip side, I don't see why it matters if two civs are a little bit similar, its not like you're paying by the civ (and besides, aren't we just imagining the dream game here?)....any difference is still a difference, and it adds a little variety, and no one's forcing you to play a civ you don't like. In a perfect world there would be thousands of civs, each one custom tailored to be exactly what each player wants down to the slightest detail, but all I'm saying is that about double the current number would greatly improve the game.

To be perfectly honest, I think that even if civs were just a little bit different in terms of gameplay, the cosmetic changes alone in the appearance of the races would be cool. And really, isn't the Star Wars look of the game half the fun of playing GB? That's why the toybox is so much fun.

Think of it this way....in a perfect real world war game you would be able to play as every major army on Earth. Of course, many of those armies would be strikingly similar, but that wouldn't negate the fun of having the option....(I want to play Canada!)

I hope that all made some sort of sense....it's early in the morning and I'm a little groggy.

And to get off of this civ debate for a little while (maybe we could start a seperate thread for it?).....what does everyone want to see in terms of unique units or civ-specific skills in a possible sequel?

"Ideally, there would be somewhere around 30 to 40 races but that will never ever happen."

I'm sorry, but that's just plain silly. If the game had that many races i wouldn't even both buying it, since they would all basically be carbon-copies of each other and really, there is no way you could have 40 races that offer significantly different playing styles from each other, i would say 10 as a max. Also, this thread isnt for a 'dream game' it is what you would like to see in a possible SW:GB 2, but try to be realistic and dont post so many consecutive posts in the future. Thanks.

No...your own initial post clearly said this thread was to collect ideas on what the community would LIKE or not LIKE to see in a possible sequel. I'd LIKE to see a lot of civs, and I'd LIKE them to all be different and offer different units, styles of play, special skills, etc. And they could be as varied as you want, use a little imagination. The possibilities for this game really are endless.

And by the way....are you honestly saying that if SWGB2 came out tomorrow with dozens and dozens of civs for a reasonable market price (say, $50 or so) you wouldn't buy it just on that principal?

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play as every civ....or are they? If so you've got problems, my friend. :)

If there's a civ you don't like, you don't have to play it. Simple as that. I for one rarely if ever play as the Wookies, Gungans, or the Rebel Alliance, because I don't like them as much as the others. I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the game, I'm just saying I don't care for them as much as say, the Trade Federation, Republic, Confederacy, Empire, or Naboo.

By your logic, extending into another gaming type, all online FPS style deathmatch games should have only one character to chose from, since essentially the different skins are just cosmetic and don't have any differences from one another.

Let's you and I start another thread to continue this discussion, shall we? I feel like this is turning into a tangent. Let's all get back to sequel wants/don't wants discussion here.

Archived