Home

anyone else agree that CMI wasn't that great?

kng863

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haggis: We're a band of vicious pirates!

Edward: A-sailin´ out to sea.

Bill: When you hear our gentle singing...

Haggis: You'll be sure to turn and flee!

-

Guybrush: Oh, this is just ridiculous.

-

Guybrush:

Come on, men! We've got to recover that map!

Bill:

That pirate will be done for, when he falls into our trap!

Bill: We're a club of tuneful rovers!

Haggis: We can sing in every clef!

Edward: We can even hit the high notes!

Haggis: It's just too bad we're tone deaf!

-

All: A pirate I was meant to be!

All: Trim the sails and roam the sea!

-

Guybrush: Let's go defeat that evil pirate!

Edward: We know he's sure to lose, ´cause we know just where to fire at!

-

Edward: We're thieving balladeers.

Haggis: A gang of cutthroat mugs.

Bill: To fight us off ye don't need guns!

Edward: Just really good ear-plugs!

-

-

Guybrush: All right, crew, let's get to work!

Haggis: Our vocation is a thing we love, a thing we'd never shirk.

-

Haggis: We'll fight you in the harbor.

Bill: We'll battle you on land.

Edward: But when you meet singing pirates...

Guybrush: They'll be more than you can stand.

-

Bill: Ooooh! That was a good one!

Guybrush: No, it wasn't.

-

Guybrush: No time for song! We've got to move!

Bill: The battle will be long, but our courage we will prove!

-

Bill: We're a pack a´ scurvy sea-dogs.

Haggis: Have we pity? Not a dram!

Edward: We all eat roasted garlic...

Haggis: ...then sing from the diaphragm!

-

-

Guybrush: Less singing, more sailing.

Edward: When we defeat our wicked foe, his ship he will be bailing!

-

Bill: If ye try ta fight us...

Haggis: ...you will get a nasty whackin´!

Edward: If ya disrespect our singing´...

Bill: ...we will feed ya to a kraken!

-

-

Guybrush: I´m getting so sick of you guys and your rhyming.

Haggis: We´re ready to set sail, through the cannons need a-priming.

-

Edward: We're troublesome corsairs!

Bill: And we've come to steal your treasures!

Haggis: We would shoot you on the downbeat...

Edward: ...but we have to rest five measures.

-

-

Guybrush: Stop! Stop! Stop!

Bill: The brass is what we'll polish and the deck is what we'll mop.

-

Guybrush: You say you're nasty pirates...

Guybrush: ...scheming, thieving, bad bushwhackers?

Guybrush: From what I've seen I tell you...

Guybrush: ...you're not pirates! You're just slackers!

-

-

Guybrush: We'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an orange.

Haggis: And...!

Haggis: ...um...

Bill: Well...

Edward: ...err...

Bill: Door hinge?

Edward: No, no...

Bill: Guess the song's over, then.

Haggis: Guess so.

Edward: Okay, back to work.

Guybrush: Well gee. I feel a little guilty, now.

LucasTones' Quote:

"5. The first one wasn't really voodoo. He used a can of grog from a vending machine. The second one was, but that doesn't make a tradition."

-Didn't Guybrush defeat Lechuck using a voodoo root to make his squirt bottle of root beer in MI 1? The voodoo lady in MI3 even recalled that Guybrush used voodoo magics to defeat Lechuck in MI1 & 2. You had to obtain the voodoo root to fight lechuck at the end.

I agree the art was great for MI3 (there's no argument about that), but some things could have been improved. I didn't enjoy some tedious tasks such as Guybrush being eaten by a snake or having to get out of quicksand. Why would you all of a sudden find a reservation slip inside a snake? Guybrush rarely could die, but com'on -eaten by a snake? The games could have made it a little more challenging to get the reservation slip instead of just giving it to you by being eaten by a snake.

I also don't like how Guybrush only picks up items that pertain to a task in MI3. He should be able to pick up more items even if it doesn't do anything specific. Part of the thing I found challenging about MI2 was that you were able to take or purchase things that were of no use except to throw off the thinking. Some useless items in the inventory would have made it more challenging.

I mentioned I hated the ship battling of MI3 on my first thread because it's "finger exercises" instead of "thinking". It's part of the reason why the MI series has become too much of a Mario/Zelda adventure (due partly because Ron Gilbert isn't running the show). I just finished EMI and it was going pretty well until that "Monkey Kombat" crap. OMG, the developers must have been on crack that day because it's just SOOOOOOO RETARDED to have Guybrush fight a monkey with a freakin LIFE METER. GIVE ME A BREAK! Once you crack that Monkey Kombat code, it's pretty much over. And the ending for EMI wasn't great either, but I will save my ranting about that in another thread.

BTW, i've been very critical over CMI and soon EMI because they stray away from what Gilbert was thinking. Also because, like the way the Caribbean has been commercialized by Ottie in EMI, I think CMI and EMI has started to become a Mario/Zelda game only because it HAS to compete on today's gaming market.

******Really tedious button pressing such as "Ship Battling" and "Monkey Kombat" really hurt what MI is all about and should be kept in less sophisticated games such as the current Mario/Zelda adventures.*******

Like most competitions, Guybrush usually finds a way to CHEAT to win. I was disappointed in not being able to tip any scales in my favor in MONKEY KOMBAT such as giving the monkeys a poisoned banana or something before fighting. Guybrush is great cause he finds a way to CHEAT and not because he FOLLOWS RULES.

I really hope those developers stop making future MI a Mario/Zelda adventure.

Don't judge games based on their graphics because it's just not fair. An MI1 game produced in the late 1980s, of course, does not compete with a MI3 game produced in the 1990s. In my replies, I don't mention anything about the graphics of MI because it's a matter of the gaming industry in having to compete and improve it's rendering technologies. Try finding a 2d or 3d-developer using a commodore 64 to program!

Graphics are always going to improve, so please don't compare the MI chapters to each other based on that. If you have a current PC, you should be damn glad that MI1 and MI2 still works.

******If a day should come when technology has improved so much that DOS is obsolete and we can't play MI1 or MI2 anymore, I would just go BESERK and take myself off of life support.**********

Originally posted by Oystein

You actually get one porcelain reference in MI2. It's on Booty Island in Elaine's room at the mansion. I think Guybrush doesn't want to open Elaine's bedchest because he suspects it's porcelain or something like that. [/quote

I know why. In SMI when Guybrush is fighting Fester (The fight we don't get to see) he comes out of the roon and picks up the vace. He go's back in the room and we hear a big grunt. Hmmm.;)

Originally posted by Hellbeard

As far as adventure games go, MI2 was the best, but MI1 is still my favorite.

MI2 only makes #2 on my list. I didn't think it fit in with the story. It was just too wacky.

My list:

MI1

MI2

MI3

MI4

Originally posted by kng863

-Didn't Guybrush defeat Lechuck using a voodoo root to make his squirt bottle of root beer in MI 1?

Yeah, he made it. But that was a puzzle. The nozzle jams on LeChuck, and when Guybrush gets punched the bottle flies away. he then lands in a grog machine, and uses the can to destroy the evil ghost pirate.

It's pretty much hinted through the game that the voodoo anti-root potion is the same as rootbeer too. Like how they say it goes well when poured over some ice-cream (root-beer float, for those of you who don't get the referrence).

Heh, when I first got CMI, on the way home I had my haircut, and read the manual beforehand :) I didn't crank up my chair though, because there were no scissors lodged in the ceiling.

CMI was great, although the storyline part was a little botched. The puzzles were excellent, the voice acting superb, the graphical environment was brilliant, and it wasn't too easy or too hard. I agree with kng863 on some aspects of his argument, although I still love CMI.

EMI, on the other hand..well, I don't mind the whole 3D issue, I thought it worked great actually. The storyline would have worked very well had it not been for the plot holes / contradictions etc. I found the puzzles to be either logical and fairly easy, or frustrating and a little too obscure, but all in all, I would still recommend that it be played.

Nothing beats MI2 though :D

Guest King Andrei

MI1 and MI2 both suck, because they have low graphics. (Then again what can I expect from two 11 year old games.)

MI3 and MI4 were GREAT! I like them both but I can't decide which is best.:confused:

Originally posted by LucasTones

MI2 is the best Monkey Island game period. I once had a Dandelion and Burdock float - urgh. Do americans and europeans have D&B, or is it english only?

Sorry, if your talking about the flower Dandelions--well over here they are considered weeds. No one eats them and everyone tries to get rid of them.

the bottle of voodoo root also falls next to the cans of grog after Guybrush crashes into the grog machine. you can use EITHER the bottle of voodoo root or cans of rootgrog to spray Lechuck.

anyway, the point i wanted to emphasize was how offbeat Lechuck is defeated in CMI compared to MI1 or MI2. The stories in MI1 and MI2 before getting to Lechuck at least hinted as to how to defeat him. The way to kill Lechuck in CMI, however, isn't ever hinted before the rollercoaster. And, it just so happens that all the necessary items (except for the pepper you get from the snow cone counter right before entering coaster) needed to kill Lechuck are in the rollercoaster part. (keg, rope, oil lamp, giant ice monkey is just ridiculously easy to put together) Guybrush picks up only and exactly the items that he needs and uses all of them. This brings up a point that I stated previously:

Guybrush should be able to pick up more items even if it doesn't have a role in anything. It would make it more challenging if more useless items were in the inventory only to throw off the connective thinking. I hate knowing that anything that is picked up MUST be part of something.

Originally posted by manny_c444

Sorry, if your talking about the flower Dandelions--well over here they are considered weeds. No one eats them and everyone tries to get rid of them.

Nah, we don't eat them either.

We just somehow put them in drink form with Burdock, to make a delicious soft drink that's fun for all the family.

They probably don't even use Dandelions anyway.

Anyway, when they go all ghost-like, you can use dandelions to tell the time. Just count how many times it takes to blow the head off.

Ok, I've played MI2 now and I've found a very clear reference to Guybrush's disgust of porcelain. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's in Elaine's Mansion bedroom on Booty Island. If you try to open the chest in the corner Guybrush responds with: "It's just a porcelain replica of a chest. I hate that knick-knacky junk."

This proves that the porcelain thing is not something the guys behind CMI made up, although maybe they made too much fuss about it in CMI.

Originally posted by Andrei555

MI1 and MI2 both suck, because they have low graphics. (Then again what can I expect from two 11 year old games.)

MI3 and MI4 were GREAT! I like them both but I can't decide which is best.:confused:

You don't deserve to be on this forum with THOSE opinions.

Archived