Home

Movie Thread

Wossname

American Beauty - Darkly humorous, and meaningful too.

Anything by the Coen brothers (Though The Man who Wasn't There wasn't all that great IMO)

Memento - Hell, a story told backwards. It's so finely crafted, and it's done the way it is for a very good reason.

Pleasantville - Neat story. Special effects used for a good storytelling purpose.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Great fighting, great scenery.

Chicken Run - Chickens in a prison camp!

Pitch Black - Sci-fi horror to rival the original Alien.

Fight Club - Cool story with a twist of lime.

Apollo 13 - The best part is that it's true.

And hell, everyone likes the Matrix.

(This list also makes up a good portion of my DVD collection)

Okay, post some good movies and say why they're good.

I'll start the ball rolling:

CLERKS - Excellent film, Original, Funny, and about absolutely nothing

DIE HARD - Decent action film, with THE POW POW GUNS AND teh BOMBS OOH NO! NAKATOMIS PLAZZA!

..erm..

UNBREAKABLE - I wanna be a superhero. I hope I discover I am one.

The Rock- Sean Connery, Nicolas Cage

The go To Alcatraz, and kill people

Brave Heart- I Don't need to say anything

Gladiator- " "

PeeWee's Big adventure- Pee Wee Herman- Great Movie, Very Funny!

Monkey Island- Great Movie, Five Stars *****

If you say "Clerks" don't you have to say "Mallrats", "Chasing Amy", "Dogma" and "Jay and Silent Bob srike back", too? I admit I only saw the last two of them yet, but J&SBSB is the funniest movie I've ever seen! It's absolutely great! Perfect!

"Cube", great movie. I like 'special' movies.

"Se7en".

Everything made by Monty Python! Of course.

Das Jan

Hey, I definately do NOT like the Matrix. Ahem.

Scabb, you are correct, Die Hard is a masterpiece:

"Just like Saigon, eh slick!"

"I was in junior high, dickhead!"

Ok, my other faves:

-Capricorn One: Brilliant story about how NASA con 3 astronauts into pretending they went to Mars. When the shuttle that NASA claims the astronauts were on blows up on re-entry, they realise that the NASA men will never let them back into public, so they make a break for it...

-Man on the Moon: True story of Andy Kauffman. Very funny, and well acted by Jim carrey.

-The Big Blue: A tale of friendship and rivalry, set in many beautiful locations around the world. Two friends, Jacque and Enzo are both deep sea divers, in a contest to see who can go the deepest. Its incredible the first time you see it.

-Being John Malkovich: A pupeteer discovers a portal into the mind of John Malkovich. He and a workmate exploit the portal for profit, but one day he enters and decides to stay. This is as wierd as it sounds, if not wierder. But its hilarious.

Originally posted by DasJan

If you say "Clerks" don't you have to say "Mallrats", "Chasing Amy", "Dogma" and "Jay and Silent Bob srike back", too? I admit I only saw the last two of them yet, but J&SBSB is the funniest movie I've ever seen! It's absolutely great! Perfect!

"Cube", great movie. I like 'special' movies.

"Se7en".

Everything made by Monty Python! Of course.

Das Jan

Chasing Amy is excellent, and Mallrats is also a good film, although I didn't particularly like the most recent Kevin Smith films.

Oh yeah

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

..and..

FULL METAL JACKET

also rank.

Classic movies:

North by Northwest - Ultimate Cary Grant/Hitchcock combo.

Swingers - Ultimate cool movie.

Big Lebowski - Ultimate Coen bros. movie. (either that or Barton Fink anyway. The Man Who Wasn't There wasn't that great.)

Mulholland Drive - Ultimate David Lynch movie. (although Blue Velvet and Lost Highway deserve to be mentioned also)

The Awful Truth - Ultimate Cary Grant comedy. (especially the whole Oklahoma/Tulsa dialogue)

... and a bunch more I'm too lazy to list.

My list:

The Pirates of Silicon Valley: A rather unknown, but great tv-movie. It tells the story of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and their respective companies Microsoft and Apple during the 70's and 80's. Great acting by both Anthony Michael Hall and Noah Wyle.

Snatch: A very cool gangster movie. Funny and exciting. I like the setting and the cockney-accent. The soundtrack is also excellent and Vinnie Jones and Brad Pitt rocks. Even better than the already excellent "Lock, Stock....".

Man on the Moon: Good portrayal of the life of Andy Kaufman and perhaps Carrey's best.

They Call Me Trinity: Hilarious spaghetti-western. Poorly dubbed, but great fun anyway.

Clerks: Very funny! And I love the black&white setting.

Cube: You don't see movies like this often. That's why I like it.

That's what I can remember now, I'll probably add more later.

Originally posted by Oystein

My list:

The Pirates of Silicon Valley: A rather unknown, but great tv-movie. It tells the story of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and their respective companies Microsoft and Apple during the 70's and 80's. Great acting by both Anthony Michael Hall and Noah Wyle.

¬¬

The Big Lebowski- Because the rug tied the whole room together

Legend of Drunken Master 1 & 2- What could be better than Jackie Chan getting drunk off his ass and beating the crap out of people

And anything by Wes Anderson and Kevin Smith

Archived