Home

What scenes would you alter for the Star Wars DVDs?

Darth Groovy

Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon

Don't forget that she wore a makeup, and chimpanzee eyes were superimposed into darkened eye sockets(Clive Revill provided the voice). :D

As a matter of fact, I wonder if this is one of those scenes in George's list that need to be "fixed" for later DVD release; he could quite easily replace original actress with Ian McDiarmid and then just put him to say exactly same lines. In this current state Emperor stands out too much as opposed to Sidious' earlier holographic messages.

I for one would change the scene in the Cantina to have Han Solo just shoot Greedo like he did in the original. I know that will never happen, but that is just an idea I had. What are your Ideas?

I hope they improve Jabba the Hutt in Ep IV : A New Hope.

The scene was ok but he didn't really look like Jabba.

Also I heard a rumor that Nat Portman has signed up so some addition scenes for ROTJ. Anyone else heard this?

Kinda hard to imagine George going back to original idea of Han shooting first, because he already made up his mind and explained that he didn't want Han to look like a cold-hearted guy. Still, I also would like to see it coming back somehow because it gave him a little bit rough edge; perhaps, if we wish hard enough, these DVD dics could also include original prints of the movies without any SE and beyond changes(I know THAT would please a lot of hardcore fans out there). Either way, I can live with the decision George makes.

Now, there's a lot of scenes that still need some altering and tweaking, but mostly because of effects(bad croma keys, laser/lightsaber, etc.) so I don't go into too much detail with them, but one scene that jumps out is Jabba scene in ANH SE. Now, back in 1997 it kinda looked convincing and was a movement in the right direction, but after we saw high quality model of Jabba in TPM, that older one really can't be compared to it. Again, I think this can be easily fixed with ILM providing higher quality model; scene itself was a cool addition, so I definitely want it to be included. :cool:

EDIT: Looks like you read my mind, SivyB. That rumour about Portman appearing in additional scenes made for RotJ is not correct though, because one reporter asked her about it and she denied it(she hadn't even heard about it before that). We might however see Jimmy Smits in ANH, because he said that George has been playing around with the idea of showing Bail Organa briefly before Alderaan is blown away(this could really add depth and emotion into that scene that is otherwise quite quick). At least George himself admitted that he IS shooting additional scenes... :D

There was a 70's Jabba in ANH?

Well, kinda. Lucas shooted that specific scene originally with a fat guy wearing fur vest as Jabba the Hutt, because back then he wasn't yet made his mind what Jabba will look like(that's why Han says something like: "Jabba, you are a wonderful human being") and didn't have advanced technology to help him out. Now, that CGI Jabba was added into the scene back in 1994-1997(not in the 70s) and therefore covered the original actor.

Originally posted by Lord_FinnSon

At least George himself admitted that he IS shooting additional scenes... :D

That is extremely exiting!:D I would do some serious editing on A New Hope. They should put the Tashi Station scene back in. And there are some parts where Obi is fighting Darth and you can see this glowing wire at the center of his lightsaber, that always bugged me.

Knowing the fact that all great directors are perfectionists by heart(from all the way from David Lean and Kubrick up to Steven Spielberg) when it comes to their movies and opportunity to tweak them near perfect, I'm sure Lucas has one or two ideas that he still wants to achieve after which he's satisfied with original trilogy; he must have visualized these additional scenes while doing TPM and AOTC(and writing Episode III), because he said they would connect these two trilogies better together and make whole saga complete.

I even remember one reporter asking him(at the time SE premiered) what he thought about them now and he said he liked about 80 percent of it(20 percent before SE). Of course he was smiling back then and might have only joked about it, but I believe there's some truth behind those words.

Like I said, what these movies mostly need is a lot of tweaking when it comes to visual effects and we probably won't see as radical changes as we saw when SE premiered. John Williams also revealed that Lucas asked him to rescore some parts of ANH and include the Imperial March there to make saga musically complete. I guess that's how we ultimately get those missing 20 percent of the "definite edition". :D

I have always wanted to see the scene where Luke tries to escape from Rancor's Pit by leaping 18 meters to the grate above, but is pushed back. This was described in the novel and was supposedly shooted originally, because I have seen a pic of Luke hanging from that grate, but then cut out for some reason; it's probably because technology wasn't advanced enough to show Luke dropping directly into the eye of the rancor, because that is exactly what happens next in the novel.

I think it would make a cool addition, because in its current state whole scene with rancor doesn't show Luke using the Force(except if you don't count throwing that stone) which he surely did right before falling into the pit. He's supposed to be a fully trained by then, so while watching it I find it weird that he doesn't use his abilities(he jumps quite a lot in ESB and RotJ, you know) to get away from that heated situation.

This whole scene is also one of the biggest examples that there's still some tweaking to do, because croma key effects in it weren't even cleaned up for SE(I believe ILM must have been in a hurry to finish their work and wrap all up for the release). So, while working on it, they could also dig up Luke's giant leap and then complete it with a CGI model of Luke dropping into Rancor's eye. I don't know how much of it was actually shooted, so maybe Rancor would also need a CGI model, but only momentarily, because overally puppeteers did a wonderful job with original puppet(filmed in slow motion). ;)

1. Improve Han vs Greedo scene.

2. Improve Jabba CGI, bigger, fatter, more realistic.

3. Remove Luke's scream in ESB when falling on Bespin. It's just Palpy's dubbed over, that sucked.

Not much more I can think of now... Mos Eisly, Bespin, Coruscant, those CGIs were all stunning.

After pondering this a little bit more, I remembered Tractor Beam Power Generator panel, gunport targeting screens that they were using aboard Millenium Falcon and Briefing Area's screen from Massassi Outpost. Well, both Lucas himself and ILM must have forgotten first one when doing SE because people doesn't use English in SW galaxy but Aurabesh instead, which can be seen briefly on computer screen when imperials identify Vader's shuttle at the beginning of RotJ. Second one is even too simplistic as opposed to Tie and X-Wing targeting screens because of little arrows that supposed to represent Tie Fighters; true, Han's ship may have been old and heavily modified, but not THAT old. Finally, the third one is flat out 2 dimensional and inconsistent with the look of advanced technology seen in prequels; maybe ILM could replace whole screen with a holographic image of the Death Star much like in the RotJ. ;)

Of course there's also a lot of other screens and computer panels that might look campy in ANH, but I think targeting computer screens of both Tie Advanced/Tie Fighter and X-Wing, for example, even though crude, were efficient and had a simple military look(they aren't stuffed full of useless info that would bother the pilot). Same thing with Massassi Outpost's War Room screen(shows Yavin and its four moons) AND "countdown clock" screen of the Death Star(shows the position of the Death Star in relation to Yavin and the fourth moon). One may even consider Death Star's Blast Chamber's little switches, levers and numerous light bulbs to be completely ridiculous nowadays, but I think they can easily get away with them being nostalgic. :D

Archived