Home

Etiquete

txjeep

OK, the newbie is back again...with more questions. I would search the archives, but that feature is disabled.

Anyway, I was wondering, in general, what is considered good MP etiquete? What are the do's and don'ts. For example, I played online for the first time last night and there was a good player (can't remember the name), but he would always "bow" (crouch) with an unlit saber before every duel. Seemed cool, so I returned the favor. Others he played did not do this and he seemed annoyed, like it was generally accepted etiquete. Is it?

I also keep seeing posts here where people are complaining about "whores". I have some ideas about what this is, but I would like to know more so I don't become one.

Any other tips on how to be a respectable MP player would be appreciated.

Great forum.

Thanks!

I consider bowing to be a sign of readiness before beginning a duel. Killing people that are typing is normally considered rude. However, if they pull up the console in the middle of a duel, I will kill them. This is their fault. They already bowed, it's a duel to the death. I'm not just gonna sit there and let them recharge their force.

Also, if I'm chasing down a person in FFA or CTF, and they pull up the console or start typing. They will die. Also, if you start typing in populated areas, you should expect to be killed. Directly or indirectly.

Now for spamming (whoring... and whatnot). This is when a person uses a specific move, combo, or power over and over. It's not illegal, but most players don't like it. I personally don't do it, as I find that using the same moves over and over (especially special moves in duel) will get you killed fast. Some people like to spam kick. All they do is kick over and over. This is the only one that I would like addressed. I don't mind it knocking you down, but 18 damage? Give me a break, Jedi don't die from kicks. But for the other moves and powers, they're in the game, use them to your advantage. Make somebody else adjust their strategy.

You'll notice a lot of servers with the rule: Saber Down=Peace. In other words, don't kill folks with their sabers off. There are also those that would argue that if you're playing darkside powers, that makes you dark/sith, and therefore cheap shots are acceptable, but it *will* get you kicked from many servers.

Just follow some commen sense when playing online..... ettiquite norms are much the same in the JK2 online world as they are anywhere else. Most people will appreaciate those who are helpful, courteous and nice. The tend to be resentful of those who are skilled or successful and brag about it, but respect you if you are willing to share your good fortune by showing others some moves, offering tips, etc.

Biggest ettiquite rule: HAVE FUN! If you're on a server and you aren't having fun, press ESC then main menu, then choose another!

SKinWalker

I agree with most of what has been said here, except for one thing. I don't attack people who are typing (look for the blue screen icon over their head). I think it's in pour taste to do so. I usually play in NF servers, so they are NOT recharging their force powers.

The other thing that pisses me off is when people immediately charge the other player and start swinging. Geez, give people a chance to get ready! Bowing is good, though some people think it is lame.

I usually don't attack someone with their saber down, in less of course they are one of those "turn off - walk towards - turn on and strike" type players. This one guy was doing this to me, and was trying to lure me into a corner where he could do a wall walk and attack, so I threw my saber at him when his saber was off and he got all pissed of at me. So, according to him, it's okay for him to use acrobatic moves to attack me when I'm not ready, but not for me to hit him when his saber is down. Aggressive saber-down players deserve to be attacked.

The last thing is, don't be c*cky. No one likes a smartass out there who makes it a point to tell you how good he is after he beats you. And don't download a kill tracker. Kill trackers are for people who need to feel better about themselves by broadcasting that you were their "65th" kill, because they need to make up for some other void in their life.

I dont want to get into a debate about what is and is not morally acceptable so here is just a list of what I do in duels and FFA.

1 I bow but with saber on.

2 People who are using those annying emotes are fair game for a DFA, purposely making yourself immobile in a duel is the silliest thing possible.

3 I never attack anyone if I knock them down with a kick.

4 I nearly always at least say gf after a fight and have other binds for excellent fight etc, However if the opponent is a dumbass I dont even say a thing.

5 I dont type kill unless they are abusing the privilege of not being attacked, I mean if they go into type everytime you go near them I DFA them to keep the game moving, as people will usually be waiting.

6 I never tell HP, why would I? you can tell how much HP people have by listening to the pain sounds.

7 I try not to spam special moves, never the same one twice in a row.

thats it for now

Ahhh... good ideas Jah...

About No. 2, I remember once recently where I accidentally hit the "throw2"-command and was frozen and consequently took a beating... LOL - I even did it TWICE in the match unwillingly to make matters worse :(

About the painsounds, I think they are screwed in this version of the game. True, it's very possible to hear a loud cry when the guy is low on hp, but at the same time - they let out a cry when they're hit for 1 hp and sometimes remain silent when hit for 70 damage.... Very strange, but this is just my observation.

I have to agree about the pain sounds thing, they seem very inaccurate to me. I go by the yellow damage that sparks off the player (I hope you know what I'm talking about).

As for hitting someone when they are down, this is a touchie subject with me. I believe that when you get someone down you have every right to hit them, but I won't do it to people that I know hate it or have a problem with it. If someone kicks me down, I expect to get hit but thats just me.

First and foremost follow the rules of the server. Do not be an idiot and break the rules because it will get you kicked.

Do not complain about getting killed.....ever! The only exception would be a type kill when you are off in a corner away from a crowd. That brings up another point. If youneed to use the menu or type a comment do so in an unpopulated area.

Never ever ask for hp in a duel or try and chat to the person you are in a duel with. It will get you killed.

People claim that moves are "whored". No move is a whore move, all moves are done to do one thing, kill the enemy player. Nothing is cheap everything is usefull. If you want to dfa someone you just kicked...do it. If you want to spam three lunges because you have them in a corner....do it.

Try not to play by some misguided set of rules on an ffa full force server. FFA means everyone for themselves and no honor is involved unless you duel.

Always bow before a fight and make a comment to the person after the fight is over. Say GF if it is a good fight or sometimes I say OUCH! if you hit them with a special quick and end the duel.

Do not use taunts that are racist, sexist or involve gross things about the human anotomy. This is immature and annoying. Keep your taunts basic and directed to the person you just killed or are in the process of dismembering.

Thats about it....

I know some people will say that you need to have a little respect and honor for those you fight, and in a duel this is true. Any other time you do not.

Destroy the enemy with the least possible damage to yourself and with the minimum amount of effort. That is the only creed you need in ffa (except those duels!:D )

And don't do things because others are, if you are in a duel and someone demands you to bow and you don't want to, Ask if he is the admin or if it is in the MOTD, if it isnt tell him Tuff, i personally never bow, waste of time.(And i've gotten kicked for not bowing, i don't care)

Lots of good things here. These are the kind of people I like playing with.

I show respect for every person I meet and play, until they show me different. Even if someone is being a jerk and type killing and not waiting a few seconds before a duel (I am talking about SO NF Duel) I will still be a decent human being. I will somtimes attack you when your down, or after a special, sometimes I won't :D It all depends on my mood.

But always show respect to everyone you meet, follow the rules of the server. See how everyone else acts. Don't stoop to the low of jerks, there are enough of them out there.

And as skinwalker says:

HAVE FUN :D

Peace

Just got back from a horrible game...

This one guy said my attacks had greater range than his (SO NF), so I replied:

-You used blue stance, I used yellow.

-Him: I now that, I also use yellow.

-Me: Good then.

So the debate raged for a few more seconds until I said this:

-Are you implying I cheat?

Then he chatkilled me with a dfa.

Personally, I felt as if I've tried it tons of times before, but I still got frustrated with his ignorance. I remained calm, even though he didn't want to answer my question as to why he did it. He kept saying nothing and just prodding me to fight. Then we squared off for the last time and I beat him. We both left the server at the same time after that match LOL....

I don't want know if this has any relevance, I'll just say that I found it very pointless and stupid of me to get so angry at him - now I probably will never meet him anymore, and we're both off angrier.

I have once made up with another guy who chatkilled, and it is by far the best way to deal with it that way.

Unless it says so in the server rules, bowing is not mandatory. However, a lot of people still expect it and may treat you differently if you don't bow. Two months back I ran into two guys who, in their own words, wen "cheap" on me simply because I don't bow. Earlier today Psoques called me a meanie because I told her I don't bow. I've seen people say that they automatically assume you have no "honor" if you don't bow.

At any rate, this is my advice: If you don't want to bow, and it's not server mandatory, then don't bow, no matter how much people try to convince you to do otherwise. It's your choice and they have no right to make you conform to their style of play on non-mandatory servers. On the other hand, if the other person bows, let them. Do not attack them, and do not insult them for bowing. That is disrespectful, and doing it more than once will get your ass kiccked off the server, and sometimes banned as well.

But it does get irritating if a person refuses to fight if you don't bow, then starts yelling at you if you kill them after waiting for them to start fighting. That hasn't actually happened to me yet, but I have heard of it happening to others.

I do require people to bow before duels in fights on my server. One thing I must say is this. Anyone who has not bowed to me before a fight and just went plain crazy has ended up dead. Period. This makes me mad to say the least and I show the non bower no mercy. In fact most of the time I just kick them to death. Believe me the start bowing after that.

I honestly don't understand the whole HP thing. Why on earth would you stop to ask your oponent what their HP is in the middle of a fight? Even after a fight I don't really care what my enemies HP was, obviously if I lost it was higher than mine :). What I really hate though is people that ask for HP and then chat-kill their oponent when they go to answer. So I just don't answer any more.

I do bow before a fight though, just to sort of say "ok we're gonna fight and one of us will lose but let's make it good". Sometimes if a fight goes really long and I get that, you know, worn-out feeling, I'll stop and bow again just to let my oponent know that they have earned my respect, they usually respond in kind. But I will say that at the beginning of a match I'll turn off my saber but not bow until my oponent does because I was once DFA'd while I was staring at the floor in the middle of a bow.

If you bow like I do, a simply nod to the ground quickly, then you'll have a very small chance of being caught of guard.

If you bow by turning your saber off, crouching, and then staring at the ground for 5 dumb seconds it'll take too much time IMHO.

I do a 2 second bow in Duels, a 1 second in FFA saber duels, but nill in saber FFA. After all, in a few seconds you will become mincemeat for gun users, so why die with saber off and crouching on the ground? Yeesh!

It doesn't matter to me if they bow or not. I'm just showing them that I accpeted the fight on good terms. A nod of the head, saberup bow, or a very short bow is ok with me.

A tip for you guys getting chat killed or killed while bowing; Start your chat or bow a healthy distance away. You can always say that distance is a sign of respect (phooey lol) as an excuse for insurance against sneak attacks. Also keep your view centered on your opponent while chatting; it helps to see his motives so you can end chat early and counter attack.

I remember several month's ago before the 1.04 patch release, I was on a SO FFA and engaged in duel on the platform on Bespin Streets where we were all just sitting around taking turns.

My opponent went into an elaborate bow... turned of the saber, crouched, head down, etc. So I imitated this. As I did, I heard his saber ignite and even thought I saw the glow of his saber as he came down from a DFA. I instinctively straffed right and as I was already in blue stance, turned slightly more to my right and backstabbed the guy!

I got lots of "Way to goes" and "LOLs" out of that and it was a total fluke. I don't think I could have planned that move if I'd tried. I suppose I should have typed out some elaborate message extoling the virtue of ethics, honor, etc... but I just typed out "next."

Got another "LOL" out of that. It was night of lots of fun and the guy (girl?) that tried to DFA me wasn't even being a jerk or anything.... in fact we chatted and got on pretty well after that.

I'll say it again: Have Fun!

SkinWalker

Archived