Home

Post XP Tweaks Here

Absurd

XP tweaks that actaully increase performance :-

disable viual styles etc, use the classic theme,

disable all the system sounds they are annoying anyway,

disable autoupdate

diasable the auto clock sync tool in XP (control panel, date & Time, Internet time, uncheck)

Don't use a desktop picture (its always in memory) = more free ram

You can run display in 16 bit to gain a performance boost in display properties.

Unset all auto updating tools like nortin live update, etc.

Always run your refresh rate of your monitor as high as possible to prevent flickering, (Display properties, setttings, advanced, monitor) 75 hz usuall ensures flicker free performance on most monitors.

There is a section called serves in the administrative tools section, here you can disable features that will never het used like - Portable Media Serial Number however be very careful and perhaps find a FAQ for this if you need more info, I dont wanna be responsible for the death of your PC.

Also try this out they got some XP tweaks there.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,5155,00.asp

Dont know if this is posted on one of those links, but disable the QoS packet scheduler for your NIC. It never really amounts to anything. Disable things you'd never use like the telnet server, remote desktop, whatever. Make sure UPNP & SSDP are disabled. Theres a bunch of stuff you can do. :)

I have XP, but I hate it. Believe it or not, to be "happy" with XP (i.o.w. to have it run as fast as 98) it's recommended that you have minimum 512 megs SDR or 256 DDR (basically the same thing). I just found that out a forum about computers & programming that I post at, and I'm installing 98 on my comp a.s.a.p.

Instead of going 98 .. you should get Win 2K Pro and download Service Pack 3.

It's way more stable than 98 and the requirements are very low.

Check this out:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

Edit - oops put wrong link there. Look again.

Win 2K is great for servers and games.

You can get Win 2K Pro OEM for about $120.00

98 is fairly dead and given another year you won't find any support for it.

Originally posted by Cal_da_Darth

I have XP, but I hate it. Believe it or not, to be "happy" with XP (i.o.w. to have it run as fast as 98) it's recommended that you have minimum 512 megs SDR or 256 DDR (basically the same thing). I just found that out a forum about computers & programming that I post at, and I'm installing 98 on my comp a.s.a.p.

lol, win 98 is the worst memory hog of all windows OS's if anything I would say the reverse is true. Plus XP is infinetly more stable than 98. If you are really that conserned install win 2k.

Well, I know I can't play good games on XP either. For example...Rogue Squadron. Won't run at all for some reason. And don't try giving me advice, I've tried fixing it...tried LOTS of things...doesn't work. Pretty sure it's XP. And I do know for a fact that XP is horrible for gaming; especially programming games and doing graphics, which is what I do.

Originally posted by Cal_da_Darth

Well, I know I can't play good games on XP either. For example...Rogue Squadron. Won't run at all for some reason. And don't try giving me advice, I've tried fixing it...tried LOTS of things...doesn't work. Pretty sure it's XP. And I do know for a fact that XP is horrible for gaming; especially programming games and doing graphics, which is what I do.

I don't program games (yet :)), and I do quite a bit of 2d graphics work, as well as play whatever game i want on my WinXP computer. It's been my experience that something not working is usually caused by a bad device driver or crappy hardware before its an OS issue. I'm not saying WinXP is the bees knees of OS's (however its the most stable MS worstation OS to date), its just usually this is what causes most of the problems I've encountered.

Archived