Home

Jokes about suicide are no jokes.

Charsi_Morgha

I'm sure everyone who's played EMI remembers the scene where Guybrush walks over to the cliff edge outside the mansion and yells: "Farewell cruel world!"

Then suddenly he changes his mind about commiting suicide and says "Nah!"

Call me sensitive, but I find this joke rather rude. People who are seriously thinking about suicide, don't change their minds just like that.

Those who think about killing themselves are people who are so depressed they feel life has nothing to give them. I think it's very mean and insensitive to joke about something which certain people feel they have no other alternative but to do.

In my opinion that joke in EMI expresses nothing but foolish lack of understanding for the suffering of people who don't live under good conditions.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Charsi_Morgha.

I lost a good friend that way. Threw himself in front of a train. He used to be such a (seemingly) happy guy... With lots of friends, too. Sucked at school, but I would have expected nothing but good for his future life. I can't believe it's almost 8 and a half years ago, it still makes me sad.

On the other hand, I'm not really mad at anyone for putting in that joke. If you made jokes about planes crashing into skyscrapers before 2001-11-09 people would have laughed. You won't be too sensible until you experience that kind of loss.

I couldn't disagree more, especially since you got the quote wrong, as well as the meaning of it. The line was "Good-bye cruel adventure game! Eh, forget it." It was a joke which wasn't meant to be taken seriously, spoken by a computer game character who was just acknowledging that it is all just a computer game. It was obviously not a comment on suicide.

Life doesn't have to be taken so seriously all the time. There are much worst things than suicide jokes, in fact, there are much worst things than suicide. It's your life, and it's yours to do whatever you want with, although suicide is probably not a very good idea.

Sure, sure... there is no point in taking life to seriously...but you tell that to the people who are depressed. They wouldn't be depressed if things would seem so hard and serious.

True, the joke might not have been intended as a joke about suicide, but then again it looked a bloody lot like one! You never know how people might interpret these things!

It's good to joke about things, it's good to joke about life... but why not joke about non-serious things or fantastic things such as when Guybrush in CMI said to Murray: "Your about as fearsome as a doorstop!" And Murray replied: "Is it a really EVIL looking doorstop?" (I'm quite sure I got THOSE lines right!)

I don't see how anyone could be offended by CMI's slightly childish humour with lines like these!

Ok, that's a little scary! I can't tell if that is for real or just a sick joke, but I doubt that he actualy "killed" himself. And anyways, if you were to kill yourself, why would you tell your internet buddies anyways!?

Living is only the core of ones actual existence

Interesting point. If it offends you, why do you play the game? Even more important, if it offends you, why bother others. If it offends them, they won't play the game. Rude, is not the word, offensive is.

However what I have stated above (asked really) is only true if you accept the modern form of liberalism put forth by John Stuart Mill in his landmark book, ON LIBERTY. He draws a distinction between things that offend and things that cause physical harm (not emotional). Of course he was talking about government, not person to person discussions.

I guess what I am asking, is: Just because you cannot see the humor or find it offensive, why do you think that it should offend others, or maybe you are just seeing what others thought?

I am hard to offend, mostly because to offend you have to care about what whoever is (or are in terms of LucasArts) making the joke, comment, whatever, thinks. You give others power when you do that. Forget it, forget EMI.

Also suicide is a religious matter most often. Many faiths believe that taking something that they were given from God (life) and throw it away, is a sin; then comes damnation, etc. However many other individuals think that everything=nothing or some variant, so destruction equals action, not negative action on the world. Suicide can be seen as a perfectly reasonable option. Its a tragedy most often, because the people who are around to find the individual are hurt, but many times someone who goes to such lengths is in much pain. Examples include Kevorkian's "patients", and elderly who are in advanced stages of fatal, and painful diseases.

Oh well food for thought. I don't advocate one way or another from above, mostly because I don't want to get yelled at too much. After all if Guybrush really wants to do himself in, he should move to Oregon.

BTW, Physician assisted suicide is legal in Oregon.

I wanted to say about the same thing Charsi_Morgha posted earlier:

MI1, MI2 and CMI didn't have such jokes and were very funny. It was often said that EMI was disappointing. Therefore I say that you CAN be sensible about it. It seems it would never have crossed the other writers to put in such a joke.

Of course it sucks to have be politically correct all the time and think about what might offend some customers. Monkey Island shouldn't even be touching those issues, since it's... it just doesn't fit!

I'm somewhat surprised no one mentioned the suicide booths in Futurama.

They are a different chapter. Futurama WAS about that kind of controversial humor.

To reply to Thunderpeel's question about wether or not I'm concerned about the fact that the games are about "murderous psychopaths"... my reply is simply: The games are NOT about "murderous psychopaths", in case you haven't noticed.

The only psychopath seems to be LeChuck.

I mean, how many battles has Guybrush lost without being killed? A lot, yet nobody has cut his throat yet.

The only things these pirates seem to care about are grog and booty (LeChuck still being the exception). They're not REAL pirates... Nor are they in the REAL Caribean.

??? God, you're stupid, CM!!!

They are MAKING FUN of psychopathic murderous people just like (according to you at least) they were MAKING FUN of suicide. It's not exactly difficult to figure out the similarities! *geez*!

I wish I hadn't edited my first post now to make it more polite. In case you were wondering I inferred that you were probably saying this just to start a fight with everyone.

This is coming from someone who has suffered from depression several times throughout his life -- It's a JOKE that comes from YOU telling Guybrush to jump! Plain and simple!

~ John

Look, CM... I have tried to commit suicide on three occasions at least, and thus ended up in the psych ward at an undisclosed (on the board) hospital. They had me on so many drugs, I didn't know which end was up. I had to attend meetings on why life is wonderful and all kinds of happy crap. I even joined the late night craft therapy (okay so the counsellor was this cool witch from England). In the immortal words of the animated Butthead, "Thisth sthucks worsth than anything that hasth ever sthucked before." It was a nightmare...because I played Silent Hill too much.

I tried to make him walk off the cliff, and laughed hysterically at his comments. Maybe its just me, and the fact that Guybrush can do no wrong. I didn't find it remotely offensive.

I do, however, appreciate your concern, and I don't think the others on this board should be yelling at you for your comment. It's meritous, but not necessarily something you should worry about. People who play Monkey Island aren't going to be offended by Guybrush's actions. He's an idiot. (But we love him). Its all good, girlfriend. It takes a brave soul, with this lot, and an open heart to criticize anything in MI.

Y'all, be nice to her now, she was just concerned. :urpboun:

Ill be nice but god, hes just saying "goodbye cruel adventure game" not "i wanna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" i mean, that would be different if he did that, but its a fictional char. pretending to try and kill himself in a fictional game.....understood???

Archived