Home

Universe is Flat

Agen

No, the universe's exact shape cannot be determined for certain - however, as scientific techniques and measurements become more accurate, so does our picture of the universe. It make sense for the universe to be closer to a flat disk. Many objects in the universe start as flat disks... it is gravity that eventually makes them spherical. And remember, flat is a relative term in this case. The universe has been expanding for about 12-15 billion years at roughly the speed of light...

Also, this hasn't been mentioned, but they [astrophysicists] recently proved that the expansion of the universe is *speeding up*... It was previously believed to be slowing down - that the gradual accumulation of matter it's been gathering would eventually stop it's expansion and then it would begin to collapse. This is blowing their minds, because it's the total opposite of what should be happening. And just when we think we understand gravity... this throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

Let your grey matter chew on that for a while. :)

-Anakin

Originally posted by gorganfloss

Heres my perspective on things.

Lets say space is a carnival and our universe is the octopus ride.

Were like the annoying kid sitting in one of the seats as it spins around the center.

I am finished.

:fett:

I think you're thinking of our *galaxy*, the milky way. What you said would be true in that case.

Originally posted by gorganfloss

We're like the zits on a fat kids ass. No offence to over-weight people. Or big boned people.

Exactly. :D

That's what I was trying to get at....only in a nicer, cleanlier way.

:p

Originally posted by UsetheFORX

no back then like 1800s or sumthin the earth was believed to be flat until today...

EDIT:until we found out it wasn't

1800s is off by 400-500 years. 1492 is when Columbus sailed.

There is no definite way to find out. All we can do is guess. We can not say for sure. We laugh at people back in history for what they though and future generation will most likely do the same. I just warn you not to teach stuff as fact without proof.

Also, this hasn't been mentioned, but they [astrophysicists] recently proved that the expansion of the universe is *speeding up*... It was previously believed to be slowing down - that the gradual accumulation of matter it's been gathering would eventually stop it's expansion and then it would begin to collapse. This is blowing their minds, because it's the total opposite of what should be happening. And just when we think we understand gravity... this throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

Hence the "theory" of dark matter... pieces of matter that phase in and out of existence pushing space apart. This is a theory that A LOT of scientists are taking as fact despite the fact that, to my knowledge and last I heard, dark matter can't be seen, touched, smelled, tasted, heard or measured in any way. :rolleyes: Sometimes I don't get scientists. God, ESP, ghosts, etc. can't exist cause theres no proof but dark matter... hey its gotta be there.

Earth is just a molecule in one huge ass being. And so forth and so forth.

If that went on forever... we wouldn't be tiny or big. Size would lose all meaning. There would be things bigger than us at infinity or smaller than us. Try to imagine that.... phew!

Im reading a book right now called Holographic Universe wherein is presented a theory about quantum physics that the Universe and everything in it, as we sense it, is a hologram projected from another layer of reality. The theory was developed seperately and independently by two men, one of whom was a a protege of Einsteins. If you're interested in this kind of thing I deffinitely urge you to read the book. Fascinating read and not too bogged down with complex quantum speak. :)

As Aristotle said, "For whereas in the monthly phases of the moon the segments are of all sorts--straight, gibbous [convex], crescent--in eclipses the dividing line is always rounded. Consequently, if the eclipse is due to the interposition of the earth, the rounded line results from its spherical shape."

It's a common misconception that ancient people thought the Earth was flat. Not true. Even Eratosthenes, thousands of years ago, showed not only that the Earth was round, but also derived a diameter for the Earth that was very nearly correct. He did this by measuring the length of a stick's shadow at two different latitudes. Because the Earth is round, the shadow lengths were different (one stick saw the Sun directly overhead, while the other saw it off to the side a bit). Since he knew the difference in the shadow lengths, and the distance between the two sticks, he was able to calculate the size of the spherical Earth.

Many did know it was round. I'm sorry I can't name names.

Archived