Home

Hogwarts WIP

Eldritch

I really don't think i can make one i have no idea how to make a shader. i tryed to read the tutorial but it did not help at all and i can't find one that will help. Did you get the Hp game yet? Could you help me look for one that would help? Do you think that the pics in the Skybox.utx of the hp game would work?

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Yugioh79

I really don't think i can make one i have no idea how to make a shader. i tryed to read the tutorial but it did not help at all and i can't find one that will help. Did you get the Hp game yet? Could you help me look for one that would help? Do you think that the pics in the Skybox.utx of the hp game would work?

Don't worry about the shader. I'll figure it out... i've been meaning to anyway, so now i'll have to. :D

I got the game working, by the way.

And no, the pics in skybox.utx aren't quite what i'm looking for, so i'll have to go with something else.

3 new pics up on the site...

1st one is more of a detailed window... the black texture is a WIP in itself (the black eventually will look like opaque frosted glass)

2nd one is rough start of one of the 2 fireplaces in the Great Hall

3rd one is of the whole hall, and you can see the start of the big window at the end of it (also have a couple candles floating around just to see how it looks)

Crits, please. :D

http://www.hogwarts.tk

Hey are u going to put any special features in the map that other big maps have ( like a detention facility, a lounge, a bar, ect.)?

Hogwarts is basically a huge castle which contains (among other things) a Great Hall (which is what most of the pictures are of so far) whose ceiling looks like the night sky (which isn't done yet, obviously); moving staircases, multiple classrooms (as it is a school), a large kitchen, dungeons (which I suppose could be used as a detention facility), and dormitories and their common rooms (aka lounges). Other stuff will be in there i'm sure - just haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm also considering adding Saga objectives to this map, although i'm not sure what those objectives will be yet (ideas, anyone?) or how to implement Saga, so i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

He JEDI_Anakin_S do you have some pictures of the mapobjects that I go to make ?

Stupid reply, but i tryd to send you a PM ,... :( i get a message that your mailbox is full

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sith Infiltrator : 85 %

Pit Droid : 55 %

Tie Interceptor : 100 % (error)

Eopie : 60 %

Hoth Lasercannon 100 % (error)

Hoth Atgar 1.4 Fd cannon : 0 %

The Models

---------------------------------------------------------------

Waiting for making a model for The Past Awakened

Originally posted by Scouttrooper

He JEDI_Anakin_S do you have some pictures of the mapobjects that I go to make ?

Stupid reply, but i tryd to send you a PM ,... :( i get a message that your mailbox is full

I do have some pictures. I'll throw them your way soon.

And i'll clean out my PM mailbox - hadn't realized it'd gotten that full.

Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

Small update tonight... mostly texture changes, and in the second shot I added what will eventually be the night sky effect seen on the ceiling... it's not transparent yet - it's just there to give me an idea of what it will look like.

http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk

Crits are needed, as always. :D

Are you sure it's supposed to be the NIGHT sky? In the book, Hermione says, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History." The windows make it clear that, at the moment, it's a daylight level. If so, it should probably be the daytime sky in the ceiling.

Other than that, this level is looking great! I am really looking forward to it.

Originally posted by Bar_Tender

Are you sure it's supposed to be the NIGHT sky? In the book, Hermione says, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History." The windows make it clear that, at the moment, it's a daylight level. If so, it should probably be the daytime sky in the ceiling.

Other than that, this level is looking great! I am really looking forward to it.

The sky outside is a skybox from Outcast, and will not be used in the final version. It's just there to have something to look at. The stage will take place at night, though. And to my recollection, the ceiling only displays the effect at night - meaning that at night it shows the sky outside. Also, it remains to be seen whether or not the windows in the hall will be clear or opaque. WhiteShdw is working on two different window textures for me, and when I get them back i'll see which one looks better (though I'm leaning towards opaque because that's whats seen in the movie). Thanks for your input. :)

Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn

I can't tell if it is here from your screenies, but I believe there is a door and a small room behind the teacher's table.

It's not there yet, but there is actually two doors on that end of the hall. There's a lot of stuff on the walls that's not there yet, and none of the doors are in yet. A number of details aren't in yet, but i'm working on it. ;)

And to Yugioh - I haven't decided if it will cover the whole ceiling yet; i'm waiting to see how it will look when it's semi-transparent. It will most likely end up covering it all though. And yes, I have the game.

Heyas Anakin. Thought I'd drop by and see what you were up to. From what I've seen and read, ,it looks like things are on track here, but I do have two concerns.

I dont think you'r night sky, as you want to do it, is going to work in the great hall. The semi-transparent effect can only be achieved, so far as I know, with a fog shader. I havent seen it tried, but I dont know if you can do an actual picture-type texture on a fog style brush and still have it look right. Just a thought.

The second relates to the textures you're taking from the HP game... not to sound pedantic or anything, but I dont think that's allowed. Now, if you were to make your own textures BASED on them, that would be something else, but taking the textures direct, changing them slightly to be usable in the engine, and plugging them in is, I'm pretty sure, a copyright issue. Maybe I'm wrong (It's happened before! :) ) but you MAY want to make sure of that before you go too much farther.

Other than that, looking good. We shall be watching this thread with MUCH interest...

Originally posted by Shadriss

I dont think you'r night sky, as you want to do it, is going to work in the great hall. The semi-transparent effect can only be achieved, so far as I know, with a fog shader. I havent seen it tried, but I dont know if you can do an actual picture-type texture on a fog style brush and still have it look right. Just a thought.

The second relates to the textures you're taking from the HP game... not to sound pedantic or anything, but I dont think that's allowed. Now, if you were to make your own textures BASED on them, that would be something else, but taking the textures direct, changing them slightly to be usable in the engine, and plugging them in is, I'm pretty sure, a copyright issue. Maybe I'm wrong (It's happened before! :) ) but you MAY want to make sure of that before you go too much farther.

Other than that, looking good. We shall be watching this thread with MUCH interest...

Thanks for the input, Shadriss. I'm going to ask WhiteShdw about the night sky thing - I know nothing about shaders, and thus my idea is just me stating something that seems rational, but I really don't know. :D

As for the textures from the HP game, of course it's not allowed. So aside from strictly altering them so they can be used in the game, i've made a number of changes to the textures i've used. Besides, only 2 or 3 of the textures used in the Great Hall are from the HP game - the rest are taken from free texture sites or created by me.

So if I were to get any kind of official message about the copyright thing, i'll just swap out the HP game textures for the ones I was using before.

Ok, now it's my turn to quiz the mast'a mapp'a :

Do you have rotating doors, or are you going to have this be a standard JK2 Map? Or are you going to leave the doors propped open a la SOF2?

And ... I think you can do the ceiling justice using a fog that uses the skybox as its 'fog' - i know you can do an entire maps fog with the skyshader as fog, but I don't know bout just a block o ' fog.

Originally posted by wudan

Ok, now it's my turn to quiz the mast'a mapp'a :

Do you have rotating doors, or are you going to have this be a standard JK2 Map? Or are you going to leave the doors propped open a la SOF2?

And ... I think you can do the ceiling justice using a fog that uses the skybox as its 'fog' - i know you can do an entire maps fog with the skyshader as fog, but I don't know bout just a block o ' fog.

As of this moment, I have no doors right now. I'm currently testing a few different ideas to have doors that swing open and close (like real doors)... not going to let the cat out of the bag on it yet, but i'll let you know if it works. ;) If it doesn't though, I won't have the standard JK2 sliding doors - they'll be open a la SOF2.

The fog is a good idea - I still have yet to ask WhiteShdw about the night sky shader thing... I will soon though.

And Shadriss, thanks for your concern. :)

Archived