Home

2100?

ZBomber

I agree. At present situation it's not looking very prosperous. Many dreams people have about the future getting better and spacey vehicles, etc... I hightly doubt that's going to happen, it's all going downhill from here. Perhaps the best that we can do is be better people ourselves and leave the path of society and the world run its course.

we'll be at war with aliens, and then the world would be like 1 country instead of us,uk,and germany, it would just be earth. we'll have colonzied planets like mars and stuff, i think most pollution would be gone cuz of all the recycling stuff happening now, and electric cars, but there will be global warming cuz of now. japan will be destroyed by a earth quake. there will be another hawaiin island. and maybe ww3 in between.

hows that for a thought.

A very good dream...sometimes I wish that Star Trek was true like that...can you imagine, just having nothing to worry about anymore...life would be easy...

But it will not happen...I know it will not happen...and it depresses me that right now, nobody is doing anything about the problems we face, and nobody is trying to make them better for future generations. I wished that I could make things better. But there are too many powerful people in this world that care only about one thing; money. It is the scurge of our race, and I hope to god that someday money will no longer be an issue.

Well, in response to this thread, it is possible, highly unlikely, but possible. The only way people would agree to one government and peace and all that other niceity nice crap, would be if some catastrophic event made them change their ways. Even in Star Trek, you know what caused them to change? World War 3, that's what. About 3 billion people were killed, and that opened up everyone's eyes. They came to realize that as long as they were greedy, as long as they oppressed others, the human race was pretty much, royally screwed.

In order for peace to finally happen, we need something that will come over, slap the bejesus outta us and say "WAke the **** up will you!" We humans are slow learners, and sometimes, you have to touch that hot stove top, or stick that fork in the eletrical outlet before we finally get the hint. Sad, yet true. I hate war, I really do, but if truly "The war to end all wars" is what is neccessary for us to realize the folly of our ways, for us to finally change, so that someday my children or my children's children can live in a world surrounded by peace and not plagued by hate... then sign me up. My life is a small price to pay.

EDIT: Stormhammer, yes, I do know that people forget about the horrors of war. And I agree with you about how war will probably always be with us. But I was also getting at what you pointed out, that maybe something as catastrophic as this would at least make us try and work together. We may not agree completely about war, but the last five paragraphs of your post is exactly what I was getting at with mine:)

There's only one real problem with your argument Starblazer...people simply forget the horror of war. Look at the Second World War...when so many people said it must never happen again. The ethnic cleansing, the mass loss of life, the tyrants ruling countries by oppression...yet it still goes on. How many terrible wars have there been in the past? And now we stand on the brink of yet another one that will suck in many countries, and cost countless lives. As long as some people hold extreme beliefs, or simply want to possess and control everything within their grasp, there will be wars, because other people will try to stop them, and invariably that leads to conflict.

Even in the Star Trek universe, where mankind appears to have reached mutual agreement...they have simply taken war into the far reaches of space, against other species.

So I see no end to conflicts. And just think, if there was a major catastrophe that decimated the world's population, and made certain regions uninhabitable...there will be war. Because people will still fight over remaining resources, over water supplies, over perceived hunting territories. Regrettably, I think wars will remain with us.

As far as reaching the year 2100 goes...who knows? There are so many natural events worldwide that seem overdue, and just require the right trigger. The BIG ONE i.e., massive earthquake in California, is overdue. The Yellowstone Supervolcano is overdue for eruption by about 50,000 years, apparently, and the last eruption caused a mini-round of species extinctions. A large chunk of Hawaii is breaking away, and is overdue for creating a massive landslide that will result in an enormous tidal wave that will wash around the Pacific rim (as it did in the past). The volcano in La Palma, is splitting that island in two...which will result in much the same effect around the Atlantic Ocean, with a perceived threat to the entire Eastern sea-board of the US that could potentially level every coastal city. And that is all beside the obvious threat of a global-killing asteroid impact, which may happen anywhere, anytime, and we may not even hear about it until it happens.

We live in a dangerous, changing world, where nothing is certain - so is it any wonder that there have been past civilisations that have simply ceased? It could easily happen to the civilisations we have today.

All I can say is, live in the moment, make the most of what you have here and now, and hope that the future holds better things. At the same time, we should look to these natural disasters waiting to happen, and decide what we should do about them. Doing nothing could result in catastrophe, and are we really willing to pay the price?

As far as technology goes, I think we're starting to play with fire. We make incredible breakthroughs, but there is always potential for abuse, and regulation is often incapable of stopping things from progressing. If you let the Genie out of the bottle, then don't be surprised if it turns out to be unfriendly. Oppenheimer did it with the Atom bomb...who knows what is possible with genetics, or artificial intelligence, or things we haven't even dreamt of yet? We're travelling a double-edged blade, and we have to be really careful that we don't slip.

As far as colonising other worlds...do we really have the right? And aren't we simply going to make the same mistakes out there that we have with this world? We're opportunists and parasites, feeding off any resources we can find, and contributing little in return. In short, it seems to me the human race has never had a big game plan, never put itself in the context of a big picture and a wider universe, so we simply carry on with existence within the confines of sometimes ridiculous rules and doctrines. Like...if you lose your job, and lose your house, and can't get enough money, you become homeless. And few people want to help you, in case it's contagious, or something. It doesn't have to be that way. We should take more responsibility as societies, for the needs of the individuals, rather than letting them crash and burn.

I just hope we find some enlightenment in the next 100 years. I have to hope that, because I don't want my two sons (and their sons and daughters) to grow up in a decaying world where the value of life becomes meaningless.

Archived