Home

Another bug in 1.04? Surprise, surprise...

ArtifeX

Someone pointed out something to me not too long ago that I thought was a bug with my mod. After investigating it, I found the bug to be present in the official 1.04 version as well.

You can deflect blaster bolts with Force Push.

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I think this is a pretty heinous error. It allows you to push huge clouds of blaster fire back at enemy groups.

I've located the problem in the logic, and have fixed it for ProMod b3, but if any other dev teams are interested in the location of the fix in the code, just let me know and I'll post it. It's a very simple fix.

What's sad is that mods like JediPLUS (read: LIKE) allow you to switch these sorts of exploits on...like making godmode an admin command...allowing you to lunge in mid-air (this was cool at the time, but with the advent of the jetpack it is just plain horrible).

There are many other exploits in this game that I know of...but I am not going to reveal, because they are incredibly advantageous (like the 5-star DFA I invented...full damage, 1/4 the speed).

I don't think it was intentional to make an energy beam physically pushable. From looking at the code, they did it as a hack to get saber deflections to work.

I'm well aware that the projectiles should be pushable--they at least have some significant mass.

How I fixed it was to make the Bryar, Blaster Rifle, and Bowcaster shots all immune to TK attacks.

It would be good to add an option into the menu which switches Force Push projectile deflecting on and off. This can make everyone happy - those who think it's dumb to push laser beams away and those who think it would be the best way to end a firefight. Anybody want to contact Raven and have a patch 1.05?

(I personally think Force Push is good for *cleaning out* players in the MP level "Nar Shadaa Streets" (ffa_ns_streets))

My the Force be with everybody who is not too evil.

:saberr::saberb::saberg:

Originally posted by ondrahosek

... Anybody want to contact Raven and have a patch 1.05?

lol. I think nobody here wants Raven touching the source code ever again. they've pretty much proven they have little experience actually playing jk2.

Yes, TK=telekinesis=Force Push/Pull. Projectiles class bolts (rockets, repeater alt-fire, basically any weapon above the bowcaster) remain pushable.

Originally posted by ondrahosek

It would be good to add an option into the menu which switches Force Push projectile deflecting on and off. This can make everyone happy - those who think it's dumb to push laser beams away and those who think it would be the best way to end a firefight. Anybody want to contact Raven and have a patch 1.05?

(I personally think Force Push is good for *cleaning out* players in the MP level "Nar Shadaa Streets" (ffa_ns_streets))

My the Force be with everybody who is not too evil.

:saberr::saberb::saberg:

Not necessary to make it an option from menu - just make it a cvar

Like g_tkdeflect 1 or 0

Or something like that.

Originally posted by ArtifeX

Yes, TK=telekinesis=Force Push/Pull. Projectiles class bolts (rockets, repeater alt-fire, basically any weapon above the bowcaster) remain pushable.

Shouldn't the Bowcasters shots be pushable, since it supposedly fires metal bolts coated in energy?

yap, that's how it is. LEC made many mistakes with pc games in the past. what purpose should it serve to choose the Q3 engine? graphics? heh i don't think so, it's to old for that to score with it. but it's an aproved platform for multiplayer and the development would not take so much time and money. but what do they concentrate on? single player. leaving the mp abbandoned for us to make it to what it should be. nice plan guys...we all love ya...

are there any signs of a patch 1.5 ??

i hope not, it can only get worse...

but mabe some mod makes it and gets realy famous. then suddenly jo is interessting again.

Originally posted by Darth Loki

Shouldn't the Bowcasters shots be pushable, since it supposedly fires metal bolts coated in energy?

That is what the manual says, but 2 reasons not to do this:

1. Chewie's bowcaster from the movies fired regular energy bolts (red, not green, too).

2. The bowcaster is a supremely sucky weapon as it is. It needs the non-pushable boost badly, and probably more.

Originally posted by NITEMARE

yap, that's how it is. LEC made many mistakes with pc games in the past. what purpose should it serve to choose the Q3 engine? graphics? heh i don't think so, it's to old for that to score with it. but it's an aproved platform for multiplayer and the development would not take so much time and money. but what do they concentrate on? single player. leaving the mp abbandoned for us to make it to what it should be. nice plan guys...we all love ya...

are there any signs of a patch 1.5 ??

i hope not, it can only get worse...

but mabe some mod makes it and gets realy famous. then suddenly jo is interessting again.

Hey, I'm working on it. Just need 32 hours in a day and 20 fingers to type with instead of 10. :D

I just wish Lucasarts would allow Raven to release the rest of the damned code. There's only so much modders can do with what's currently available. Many of us are going to move on to other, more accessible code bases if something isn't done soon.

1. I think people are very ungreatful around here. Do you know what LEC gave the community for JK? A very small patch that fixed unnoticable joystick problems, practically jack ****! It was cualk full of all sorts of imbalances in MP. Lightsaber combat, Force powers, weapons, all horribly imbalanced.

2. I'm pretty sure LEC didn't directly choose what game engine to use. I think they hired Raven and left that part of development to them. Seeing how they already had a good codebase to work off of (SoF2 codebase, which has EF crap in it too), and everyone had tons of experiance with it, it made game development very fast with relatively few downsides.

3. They can't release ALL the code. If you want more code, complain to id, because it's their engine. Luckily, they should be releasing Quake III engine source code in a few years I would imagine (since it's being fased out, Q3 is), and hopefully JO's code could be released then.

heh thats what i thought. and in a few years we hopefully have jk3 or stuff. but the reason why we are so ungratefull is that raven just doesn't know J.S. about multiplayer games. they screwd up EF and the JO mp code is not as good as its sp counterpart. so they definitly did not concentrate on multiplayer alot. which could have been THE online action game for star wars fans and more, was just a nother game until battlefield 1942 or UT2K3 came out.

don't tell me that u didn't notice the decrease in players. we here in good old stupid germany do. but hope is underway....

Archived