Home

{Main AGE OF MYTHOLOGY Thread}

Fishflesh

455121.jpg

General/Summary: I have had the pleasure of getting my greasy little hands on the pre-release preview of this wonderful game just this week. And I have been playing non-stop, trying to think of reasons to stop playing.

There aren't many.

For those who loved the originals, Age of Empires, Age of Kings and their expansions--and who on earth didn't?--this game will be a pure blast. Even the intro animation has been improved this time around. Ensemble studios have pulled out a solid ace with this title.

Gameplay: The game starts off slowly, with a few simple tutorials to get yourself acquianted with the updated interface and options. It doesn't take long, for AoM is basically AoE in 3d. In my opinion, the change from 2d to 3d was more sucessful than was the case in Warcraft 3. There were manny points that dissapointed me. Namely, the inabilty to rotate the camera and the lack of multiplayer options. AoM however one-ups W3 by giving more options to the player. You can rotate the camera freely with the mousewheel, and there is a plethora of multiplayer options to tweak.

The longevity of this title is secured by the differing game experiences offered up. Even the interface is strikingly different depending on which race you choose. There are 3 races, Egyptian, Norse, and the Greeks, and each race has 3 different deities to worship. The deity affects your god-powers, improvements, and units-hero and mythical. It is a refreshing new idea in the same old RTS formula, one that the developers pulled off very very well. And these things are not just items to fill up the feature list on the back of the box, either. The god powers really come into play at important parts of the game, either assisting your push into enemy territory or making you curse the AI, as I did when the computer took out the one wall between my small village and hordes of enemies waiting to destroy it. And curse you will, because the AI is almost brilliant in this game. Units go where you want them to go, enemies surprise you with flanking manuevers, and the computer doesnt leave itself completely undefended while sending out a 'tank rush' of its whole army.

Graphics: As I said, the change from 2d to 3d was almost perfect in this game. Things that truely stand out are like when your villagers are construcing a new building, you can see it progressing from wood struts to a completed building. Also, when armies are fighting in a heavily wooded area, trees fall and crash around you. And the godpowers are truely something to behold. I enjoy releasing a barrage of comets and watching soldiers flying milehigh, and the earth itself becoming scorched greound. The cutscenes are rendered in-game, and do a great job of keeping you inside the game. I expected alot of wow from this game and I got it.

thor6.gif

Sound: The sounds are great, each units have individual responses that fit in with what they are. The speech in the cutscenes really is excellent, with voices that are never annoying. The music is truely exceptional. Anyone who remembers the fine blend of ambient techno mixed with tribal beats and wind instruments featured in the first games will be pleased to know this game has more of the same. The music even changes when the game sees a major battle is going on, from a tranquil music scheme, to an exciting bass-filled opus to set the background for your attack. Honestly, I could listen to this music for hours without playing the game. That's a sign of a great soundtrack.

Kudos to the Ensemble team for this title. It is RTS of the year in my books. Game of the Year? We will have to wait and see.

Gameplay: 9

Graphics: 9

Sound : 10

Multiplay : 9

total : 9.3

Minimum System requirements

Pentium II 450mhz or equivalent, Win98/2000/XP, 128MB of ram, 1.2 gigabytes of HD space, CD-ROM, mouse, 16MB video card, optional 56K modem for online play.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NL_A

First off ... Don't post reviews or the likes without posting the source. The way you put it here is like you wrote it yourself (the grammar is too good for that ;)). And try writing a comment about it with it yourself. Otherwise it's just a cheap copy and paste job.

Second ...

AoM Rowks :D

AoM...what have I to say of thee...nothing...because I won't be getting you! I'll be blasting away with C & C Generals! That, my friend, shall be RTS of the year. Oh yes...it shall be...

I'm just tired of 'ancient' genre myself. It's been overdone. But Modern Warfare is always cool. You don't see that same things over and over again. (i.e.- Trebuchet...every dadgum Medievil game...it's there as a siege weapon. Archers...every Medievil game. Pikemen...Swordsmen...very simple warfare indeed.) the creators have tons of freedom with the units of the game. They can make all sorts of wierd variations because it the FUTURE. We don't know what will be there. Plus, like I said, Modern warfare isn't done by every single RTS maker out there like medievil. Luckly we have the C&C series to save our souls from the Gods of yesterday and to show us the wonders of today.

ckcsaber :

locked or seperate camera, its your couse

darthfergie :

AoM...what have I to say of thee...nothing...because I won't be getting you! I'll be blasting away with C & C Generals! That, my friend, shall be RTS of the year. Oh yes...it shall be...

generals does not come out this year

im sorry it wil be 2003 , so you wil have to wait a time

so it can never be rts of this year ,maby next year.

ps . man you realy don't know what you miss

until you play the demo :D

Then you will run to the shops like hell

to buy AOM

O man this music of AOM, i can lissen for it whole day! :yeldance:

For the dutch fans among us (all 3 of you :D) here's a way to get the collectors edition cheap ... I'll post in dutch.

[dutch]

Als je bij Bart Smith De collectors edition pre-ordered krijg je hem voor €54,95 ipv €79,95. De collectors editie is in Nederland alleen maar via de pre-order te krijgen (volgens Bart Smith) en voor maar 5 euro meer dan de normale. Dit zit er in:

- Extra grote design box

- Het spel zelf

- Een muziek CD

- De DVD 'The making of Age of Mytholgie'

- 3 Stijlvolle 'tech trees' (één voor elke mythologie)

- 6 miniposters van de belangrijkste goden in het spel

- Een 'film'poster van het spel

- Het boek 'Bullfinch Mythology

- Een modelfiguur van een minotaurus

Ik heb hem dus gelijk gepreordered ... koopje man!

[/dutch]

So ... that just needed to be said :D

I'm at work ... d/led the demo here and burned it on CD ... 2 hours from now I will be installing it :D

I spitted trough the documents that come with the demo tough, Can't wait :D

I ordered the collectors edition, it should arrive next week. More on my demo experience later today

(firts night this week I'm not gonna play RCT2 I assume :D)

GET IT

RIGHT HERE!

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ageofmythology/Trial/1.0/W982KMeXP/EN-US/AOMTrial.exe

In the trial version, you can wield Zeus' famous lightning bolt while playing one of the nine civilizations featured in the retail version of Age of Mythology. Advance through the third age on two random maps, or play through five scenarios in this demo.

3heart

Originally posted by JEDI_MASTA

I dont understand what so special about Generals....

i don't understand wha't so special about aom....

many people don't understand what's so special about starwars...

many people don't understand what's so special about swgb...

many people don't understand what's so special about wc3...

it's the same reasons...All the time...

one theme doesn't appeal to one group, whereas it does to another group....there is nothing in this world that everyone loves...for every one person that likes something there is another person who doesn't like it... ;)

either way...i'm at shcool, my aom download at home must've been over by now :D

many people do understand what's so special about AOM

when thay play it of course ;)

i did play the demo this day

and i must say that the demo is yust 2% of the full game

thats very minimum for a demo

pepole who play this demo wil not get real good look at the game

but there are so many thing in the full version

i ghess this demo is just to let pepole see a very little few things of the game

i have the full version 2 and thats a blast

I just happened to be browsing in the store today and I saw that preorder display out. I asked the clerk, "when does the final game release?" Then he said "today, I have some right here in back. Want one?" Of I said "sure," and got a copy. Its a great game, and a lot has changed from the previous releases. It kinda reminds me of what blizzard did with WC3. Although I do like this a lot better. Graphics look great, game play is fun, takes a bit to get use to the new rules and style. Looks like its gonna be a lot of fun.

Originally posted by Imperial Sardaukar

I tried the demo of AOM and it actually works on the laptop :eek:! I might be getting this game afterall :D!

Told you ;)

and the demo is only a very little of the full game

This game totaly rocks online!

when you have cabel of course

Archived