Home

Does it compare to the old?

Darth Damage

well now that things in this movie are starting to come together with the old trilogy, does it compare to the likes of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi? I think it does, i personally love the Anakin and Padme romance(not because of Portman!) and the short saber battle at the end although it should have been a better way to show how powerfull Anakin is. So does it holds its own in the saga?

Well, I don't think Episode II was crammed full of action like "The Phantom Menace" was. You begin with an amazing action sequence, just like TESB or RotJ, then there is a period of talking, investigation and revalations, another neat battle mid-way, followed by a space chase, then another period of plotline developement before the final battle starts off. Also, remember: the final battle in Episode II had to be amazingly wonderful: it's the first time we see so many Jedi in action, and it's the first battle of the Clone Wars.

I think the prequels are a worthy addition to the Star Wars saga. Personally, Episode II is my favourite film out of the five.

Well of course they hold up in the saga! They at least have to work together. And they do more than that even. Its simple for me. All the SW movies are equally marvelous, stupendous, amazing, wonderful, awsome, superb, outstanding, incredible...and good too. :D

Well, the Prequil Trilogy seems to be camping on special effects rather than a deep experience. The original trilogy, while the saber battles in it were nothing compared to the ones in Ep I and II, wasn't just chock-full of eye-candy. The special effects of the originals were mind-blowing at the time, yet the plot and setting were so original that people kept coming back to see it.

Now the plot is somewhat familiar (everyone pretty much knows how the next movie is going to go, don't we?) so Lucas has to keep people coming to see the special effects.

It seems that Lucas is trying to make these three have an over-arching plot for the whole trilogy. Of course he wants to have them link up with the original, but it seems that each Prequil is somewhat incomplete. Lucas himself admitted that each Prequil is like 1/3 of the whole Prequil Trilogy storyline.

It seems that Lucas is trying to appeal to a different audience with each these new movies: Episode 1 was aimed at kids (Jar-Jar, the jokes, main character a kid), Episode 2 was more for older kids and younger teens (the final battle smacks of a big video game, the 'romance' plot line, and the droids' cheesy jokes.) Let's hope he continues that particular trend and makes Episode 3 more serious and thought-provoking than the first two. That's a fine strategy, as long as he can please everyone he's targeting.

But there is one factor that tips my vote in favor of the original trilogy: Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine were infinitely better villains than Maul or Sidious are. Vader (a completely different character from the Prequil Anakin, in my mind) wasn't just a guy with a black cloak and fancy lightsaber moves. He was Luke Skywalker's FATHER. Everyone knows that now, but my point is that it was a plot twist in the movie, a revelation that made Vader not just a flat villain but a complete character. He had inner conflicts after that, and the audience actually felt something when he died. Maul was just, as I mentioned before, a guy with a black cloak and fancy lightsaber moves. Lucas tried to do something like that in Ep II by making Dooku Qui-Gonn's old mentor, but that wasn't all that shocking.

And that Sidious character. Who is he? What is he up to? He's just a hologram and the lower half of a face to me. We've heard that he's supposedly the main villain, supposedly a Sith lord, and supposedly Senator Palpatine. We don't have enough info on him to make him interesting.

I hope that Ep III has some major plot twists, because I hate to think that Lucas is wasting his time on special effects...

I love the OT, always have and always will. When I heard that GL will be making prequels the main things I wanted to see was

How anakin became vader

Jedi knights in their prime

How palpatine became the emperor

I haven’t been disappointed the slightest.

Many people say that the prequels weren’t what they were expecting but for me it has taken my expectations and slam-dunked them. I couldn't be happier with them

roll on ep III! I can’t wait.

The prequels are NOT supposed to be like the OT. Why the Force would they? Were the 90s like the 70s? NO! "Oh but thats stupid cause everyone knows that times shouldnt change!":rolleyes: The times of the Republic were beeming with colorful activity. A buzzing metropolis. The times of the Empire were dark and scary. A depressing time. The PT and OT are 2 completely different times. Are people that dense not to understand that? If you like watching dark brooding twisted stories then the OT is more interesting to you, fine! If you like watching lively colorful complicated stories then the PT is more interesting to you, fine! Wtf is the prob people? You dont like kids? Too bad cause Anakin was once a kid. Thats how humans develope.:rolleyes: You dont like Gungans? Too bad cause they evolved as an amphibious alien species in the wet lands. Very different from humans. You dont like big dazling battles? Too bad cause they happen!

I love all the movies the same. Thats MHO, but a good one. Remember Im not nessesarily targeting you guys in particular but just the majority of the critics and people who listen to Hollywood pop culture. George doesnt care about pop. Thats good I think. Hes no sellout. He had this all in his head before the first SW. Ya he even thought of Midiclorians during ep4. Listen to the ep1 commentary. The commentaries are a great thing worth listening to. Lots of info.

Please read this entire post and think about it before flaming.:p Jk.

The Star Wars saga has just always had me, and every time I enter a new period of my life, I find something in Star Wars to go along with it. When I was 4, I was first attracted to Star Wars by the Ewoks (so think twice before dissing the little furballs); then I got into King Arthur and mythology, and I was attracted to Star Wars as a modern myth. Now I'm into dystopia and I've realized this: Star Wars is a dystopia!

A dystopia is a warning of things to come, the author looking at the way the world is and seeing where it could be going without a change of course. The moral of the Star Wars trilogy is this: "The moment we stop believing democracy can work, is the moment we lose it." Now how many times have I read political threads on the Swamp and seen somebody say that they no longer believe that our American government works? This is a definitive time for America and for the whole world, and how we, as Americans react, will dictate the fates of many. If we stop fighting tooth and nail for our constitutional rights, then rest assured that there will be someone out there who is only too eager to take them. And maybe there are some people who want that, people who think life would be easier without having to choose our representatives... but what would those people think when the Stormtroopers pop up and perpetrate the state-sanctioned murder of the Lars family? When they blow up Alderaan?

Star Wars, I think, is Lucas' warning to stop and look at where we're heading. It's the myth, the metaphor for our times. America is the Galactic Republic.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Originally posted by Maverick Knight

But there is one factor that tips my vote in favor of the original trilogy: Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine were infinitely better villains than Maul or Sidious are

And that Sidious character. Who is he? What is he up to?

Teeheehee, emperor palpatine = darth sidious. They're the same person...identical. Same villain. ;) I imagine we'll see a lot more of sidious in episode 3. You must remember that we only saw emperor palpatine for ONE scene in ESB, and never in ANH. So he wasn't a better villain then....so why should sidious be better now?

Yeah, that's one thing the Prequils have over the OT: more jedis.

:cool:

And I'm not saying that GL is succumbing to pop culture, I'm saying the he had some impossibly huge shoes to fill. I know that there was no possible way he could outdo the OT, and I think he suspected that.

Have you ever read the original Star Wars script?

I don't mean the original ANH one, I mean the novel-length one that has that "Journal of the Whills" thing at the beginning.

It's obvious that GL knew he wanted to flesh out the storyline from the beginning, so I'm not accusing him of not knowing where he's going with the Prequils. I AM accusing him of not living up to the OT.

But do I hold him responsible? No, not really. As I said, there's no way he could have filled those shoes.

He's doing the best he can. But I think it was smart of him to bring in that other guy to help with the script for EP II. It showed a lot.

And yes, I happen to like those dark, twisted, brooding stories. Or at least the twisted part. That's the aspect that keeps me coming back to the OT: the plot.

So anyway, EP III should be interesting. GL has to make it very tragic and at least a little dark, in order to lead into the events of the OT.

Archived