Home

Is darth Sidious Palpatine?

SE_Vader_536

Is Darth Sidious really the Emperor?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is Darth Sidious really the Emperor?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I know what goes on in the movies back to front. The credits I'm not so sure of. However, I still think they only called her "Princess Leia" in the credits of all three movies. And I'm almost positive it was just "The Emperor" in the credits.

And there's proof in the commentary on the AOTC DVD. Can't remember where, but at one point Lucas says that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person. At least I think he did... maybe it was something less explicit like saying Sidious becomes the Emperor... anyway, it's there.

Quit jumping to conclusions.

1. In episode 2 it says sidious controls the senate. what better way then to be the chancellor.

There are better ways, yes.

Look, senator Palpatine become a member when Amidala had the other leader thrown out. Palpatine fought against the invasion. Doesn't rhyme with "wanting to make it legal", does it?

That, and there are other ways to control byrocrats (sp.). Bribing and threats are just two ways.

2. The reason the Trade Federation almost succeeded in their invasion. sidious stated he would make it legal. He almost did by becoming chancellor and stalling the senate.

Read my reply above: He didn't fight for making it legal, he overthrew the whole senate by getting Amidala to vote against the existing ruler, in order to fight the invasion. He never tried to support or deny the invasion for a second.

3. How did Palpatine get his sith powers? Cant be any other way than if he was sidious.

Yep. He could be Palpatine and start training :D.

Anakin gets some pretty nasty powers, too, maybe he's Sidious!!?

Extra thoughts: he was hidden from the jedi as a result of the shroud of the dark side.

he knew anikin would be the most powerful jedi ever because he can forsee the future.

Uhm.. basically everyone in the Jedi Council could tell Anakin was strong in the Force. Even without scanning him, Qui-Gon Jinn said that "the Force is unusually strong in him". Maybe he just sensed the strenght in the boy :p?

he used the sympathy vote of amidala to gain control of the senate by being chancellor.

That was Palpatine, not Sidious. I agree senator Palpatine is Emperor Palpatine, but this doesn't in any way have anything to do with Sidious, does it?

I think if Palpatine hadn't PRETENDED to fight the invasion, people might have suspected he was up to something.

There are two moments in The Phantom Menace that tell me they are the same.

1. The camera focuses on Palpatine after Yoda and Mace are discussing the Sith, after "but which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?" Why would they do that? Every shot in the film has a reason.

2. After Amidala says she's going back to Naboo, at the end of that scene is a close up of Palpatine. Watch his mouth as the wipe into the next scene passes over his face. HE SMILES. Why? Because everything is going according to his (Sidious') plan. He would not smile if he was really as sad as he was pretending to be.

It isn't exactly "jumping" to conclusions. It's really actually a tiny step.

Eagle - do you know ANYTHING about politics???????

Senator Palpatine used his position as the Republic representative of Naboo to gain contacts, which were then used by his Darth Sidious alter-ego thingy.

He then used Queen Amidala to get rid Chancellor Velorum, then proceded to rig the vote and got himself elected. So really, the whole point of the invasion of Naboo was to get himself into a position of power. Also when Windu and Yoda are saying if they got the Master or Apprentice, why do you think the camera zooms in on Palpatine, also notice he's not upset Qui-gon is dead?

Palpatine then managed to stay in power for 10 years, and finally manipulated jarjar to give him emergency powers, in effect becoming a dictator. Lucas gives us a little hint when Palp craps on about loving democracy, which brings up an issue but im not going to get into it here.

Also, notice that when Palpatine and Anakin are talking, plap says 'your patience has finally paid off' to which anakin replies 'more your guidance than my patience'. Now how would the Chancellor know he's that powerful, and why would he want to give anakin guidance?

Finally, lucas gives us another hint when Palpatine is looking down on the Republic assault ships, clones and AT-TE's (soon to become Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers and AT-AT's), we hear the theme music of the empire.

I believe they are the same person.... the fact that:

Played by same actor, both on Dark Side, I can see a resemblence, I think I have heard subliminal hints from people in Docs that they are the same, how else can you get to power if you dont have emergency powes? He can now conquer the galaxy basically. With at least a million clone troopers on the way.....

I wanna know who voted no......

sidious is Palpatine but he did generally care for naboo as it is his home planet, Lucas points out in the audio commentry on AOTC that when the emrgency powers are brought up just b4 all the fighting there are mind tricks going on.

Also Yoda says that "only the darkside know of our weakness" that the darkside can cloud there judgement and there ability to see into the future.

Originally posted by pbguy1211

but at least the one in VI resembles an older palpatine... the one in V looks nasty and just really bad... i don think it was a woman though... as previously posted.

official from starwars.com

Early draft scripts of Star Wars identified the Emperor as Cos Da****, who ruled from the Imperial throneworld of Alderaan. The Emperor first appeared on film in The Empire Strikes Back. He was played by an old woman wearing prosthetic makeup, with chimpanzee eyes superimposed in post-production into darkened eye sockets in order to create a truly unsettling image. Palpatine's voice was provided by Clive Revill for Empire. For Jedi and all subsequent films, Palpatine was played by actor Ian McDiarmid.

told you it was a woman in part v

i thougth thay would fix this in the spacial edition

but thay did not

Originally posted by NL_Ackbar

Early draft scripts of Star Wars identified the Emperor as Cos Da****, who ruled from the Imperial throneworld of Alderaan. The Emperor first appeared on film in The Empire Strikes Back.

Cos Dawhat? U don't need to censor it! I mean the second half of Hitchcock is not enterprited for another name for the male sexual organs.

Well I've known this from the start, but if some people are questioning this here is a fact: If you have played SWGB (you would be here if you haven't) you know how to create a scenerio, and when you make a player with the empire civ, and you go under units, then click heros, and you will see a unit/hero that has the name Emiperer Palpatine Now that is proof enough.

And to add I don't think Liea Organa Was ever said, only in credits, BUt to my recalection Darth Vador distinctly told one of the Captins That he must talk to Empirer Palpatine.

Trooper, I'm not denying Palpatine's name is Palpatine, I'm just saying they never speak it in the Classic Trilogy. Believe me, they don't. If there's one thing I know inside-out and back-to-front, it's the Star Wars movies. Go and watch the movie you're referring to now (I assume you have them if you are willing to refute my claims) and try to prove me wrong.

i never said if palpy goes bad i said is sidious palpy....

Well I've known this from the start, but if some people are questioning this here is a fact: If you have played SWGB (you would be here if you haven't) you know how to create a scenerio, and when you make a player with the empire civ, and you go under units, then click heros, and you will see a unit/hero that has the name Emiperer Palpatine Now that is proof enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep they are the same person. Have you noticed that Count Dooku's table is the symbol of the Empire and you also see it on the Jedi Star Fighters and on the Clone Trooper helmets.

That they are the same person is the only thing what makes sense when you think that Jango was working for both the Confederacy and the Republic.

Actually the symbol on the Jedi Starfighters and Clone Troopers has eight spokes, while the Imperial one has only six. It is clear, however, that the Imperial one is derived from the Republic one.

As for Dooku's table, yes that looks pretty much like the Imperial one but it's hard to tell if it is because of camera angles.

And Troopr, I KNEW I was right about the Palpatine thing. I challenge anyone to better me in knowing the Star Wars movies... it's not just an arrogance thing, I seriously want to find if enyone knows them better than me. I'm sure someone does but I'm yet to meet them, either in person or on a web forum.

Archived