Home

OMG its TTT!

Kylilin

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

And I think one of the Easterlings that investigates Frodo and Sam falling down the mountain is a woman. It has woman eyes.

Thank you; I thought I was the only one that thought that, so I wasn't going to say anything.

In fact, I was half-expecting it to be Arwen, operating incognito, trying to sabotage Sauron's efforts from within. You know, the sort of plan that would've made Elrond's head explode if he found out about it. ;)

It would've made a sort of sense, given how much she obviously wanted to be involved, and to hell with Proper Elvish Behaviourtm.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Andromeda

i like my avvie :) she kinda looks like me a bit...i dunno if nute agrees with me or not but he's the only other one who's seen me ;)

...eh. There's some similiarity, but not much past the hair.

Stuff I forgot before I hit submit:

Arwen would be a fool to bring down the Eye from within! It is unpossible! The Eye can shoot lasers!*

I believe that that Easterling is a wimmenz. However, I also believe that Tom Bombadil is secretly the Witch-King of Angmar. Draw your own conclusions.

* lie

Middle-Earth = (Old English) "Middangeard"

As opposed to "Upper-Earth" (Heaven) and "Lower-Earth" (Hell). Tolkien's series therefore takes place on the same planet we live on, but much earlier, before what we so arrogantly refer to as "history."

The destruction of the One Ring marks the beginning of the end of the Third Age. We are currently living in the Fourth Age.

There were Ages before the point when our understanding of history began, and there will be Ages long after the race of Men has passed from this Earth.

Nowhere I have read does it say what ever happened to Sauron himself...

After all, he survived that other incident(The Prologue), what makes anyone think he didn't survive this one?

How long are years on Middle Earth? Isn't there a timespan of several thousand years between the battle from the prologue of FotR and the events of LOTR? Where are all the lasers and flying cars?

The Prologue Battle and the defeat of Sauron ended the second age.(3441)

The beginning of FotR is 3001 of the third age.

The Shire calender is a 12 month year.

I'm to lazy to read anymore of it.

Originally posted by Commander 598

After all, he survived that other incident(The Prologue), what makes anyone think he didn't survive this one?

Sauron's existence was tied directly to the One Ring. As long as the Ring survived, Sauron would. Destroy the Ring and Sauron would die. Sauron apparently was well aware of this. He could have run around without his right index finger and caused general havoc upon the land and let the Ring lay quietly out of the way where it couldn't be destroyed. But once the Ring was found, he had to get it back at all costs lest he finally come to an end.

However, in the movie, it was made so that Sauron couldn't actually return without the Ring in his possession. Either than or Saruman was a liar. In the book, Sauron never actually died until the Ring was destroyed and he lived quite happily at some fortress (Gol something or other) sans ringfinger.

Melkor, on the other hand, will return. He's badass^2

Also, I was under the impression that the events took place on the planet Arda, not Earth.

When I read them first, I was 10 years old. I'd read the Hobbit when I was 9 after I saw the crappy 70s cartoon Hobbit movie.

I didn't like them then, mainly because I had a really hard time picturing everything. Everything looked like the crappy movie to me and it really sucked. I didn't get very far into the two towers before I quit for a while out of frustration. I did finish them not long after though. But I didn't like them much.

Shortly before the Fellowship of the Ring came out, I read that book again and found it to be boring at times. But that's just because of all that Hobbit crap. And everything still looked like that cartoon in my head. And Sauron was some gay lizard.

Then the movie came out and Sauron was a giant man in armor that kicked bulk amounts of ass purchased in bulk. I knew right then that I would be able to read and enjoy the books now that I could picture them in my head decently.

In short, the books are very enjoyable if you've got something decent to visualize in your head. I was started off on the wrong foot, but set on the right track.

Incidentally, the Balrog always looked like it did in the movie to me. That is to say, fire and wings and ram horns and 30 tall.

I've look around for some history and timelines and stuff. One difference I noticed between Middle Earth chronologies and Real chronologies is that people in ME NEVER INVENT ANYTHING. It's like they've been fighting with iron swords/armor and bows since the dawn of time. If elves are immortal and have thousands of years to learn and experiment, shouldn't they have moon colonies?

Is Sauron really that evil? All we see is him pillaging a pesant village or two, standard fare for a medieval army. If he dressed differently and called his HQ "Mt. Happy", he'd be a saint.

Originally posted by Taarkin

Is Sauron really that evil?

Firstly, i think it'd stupid that they have such limited technology. They have fairly advanced metalurgical skill, the wheel, mastered the horse (and i assume, by extension, have a proper harness for a horse to pull a load), knowledge of the pulley, and gunpowder yet fail to invent a trebuchet that fires explosive clay canisters. Granted, few ever probably combined the treb and gunpowder, but hey, the Greeks and Romans had napalm (Greek Fire). They sport technology far advanced of that of ancient Greece, yet fail to apply it.

At Helm's Deep, the Orc army would have benefitted greatly from a capped ram in their attempts to breach the gate. At least, I think it's called a capped ram. It's got a ram protected with a little house looking thing on wheels. Much more effective than that halfass tortoise they attempted to form with their shields, leaving their flank open to archers. I had brief hope for the Orcs when they began to bring out what appeared to be ballistas but they they foolish used them only to run lines for their ladders. The fools. And they didn't bring a single onager, catapult, or nothing with them. T

The man defenders could also have benefitted from artillery of some kind. Or at least basic training in repelling an assault. Heavy artillery (again, a trebuchet would be good because of it's enormous range) could have harassed the Orc army as it approached and then later deal heavy losses close in. However, I am uncertain as to how much damage artillery could have done against the Orcs close in, but it seems their own ladders were their worst enemy. Andy suggested that the men should have used boiling oil in the least.

Now, what makes Sauron evil? Simple: good taste. The bad guys always have 90 times more taste in fashion and architecture than the good guys.

some fortress (Gol something or other

Dol Gulder, which I believe is at the Southern end Mirkwood.

At Helm's Deep, the Orc army would have benefitted greatly from a capped ram in their attempts to breach the gate. At least, I think it's called a capped ram. It's got a ram protected with a little house looking thing on wheels. Much more effective than that halfass tortoise they attempted to form with their shields, leaving their flank open to archers. I had brief hope for the Orcs when they began to bring out what appeared to be ballistas but they they foolish used them only to run lines for their ladders. The fools. And they didn't bring a single onager, catapult, or nothing with them. T

I recall in RotK, that the Orc army attacking Minas Tirith had some sort of Siege Machines.

Sauron's existence was tied directly to the One Ring. As long as the Ring survived, Sauron would. Destroy the Ring and Sauron would die. Sauron apparently was well aware of this. He could have run around without his right index finger and caused general havoc upon the land and let the Ring lay quietly out of the way where it couldn't be destroyed. But once the Ring was found, he had to get it back at all costs lest he finally come to an end.

Well, shouldn't he have created some sort of failsafe, after all, he did create the Ring of Power?

Melkor

?

Originally posted by Commander 598

I recall in RotK, that the Orc army attacking Minas Tirith had some sort of Siege Machines.

The Orcs at Osgiliath definitely had siege engines of some kind and they were definitely heavy artillery. Perhaps Mordor better equips their forces than Isengard did?

Well, shouldn't he have created some sort of failsafe, after all, he did create the Ring of Power?

Bad guys like to be arrogant.

?

Back at the beginning, Sauron was a good guy basically. There was this bad dude, baddest of them all, named Melkor. He corrupted Sauron and was evil to the max (as it would have been said in the 80s). He was ultimately defeated, but prophecies of his ultimate return abound.

Archived