Home

Heh, I'm proud

Dagobahn Eagle

Thank you for writing. We welcome timely, insightful reactions to material we have published, and we can assure you that your observations found an attentive audience among the editors. Should your comments be selected for the column, you will be notified in advance of publication. Again, our thanks for letting us hear from you. We hope that you will write again should you discover something of particular interest in the news or in our reporting of it.
-TIME Magazine

:)

What did I write?

I read in your article on DSM (January 2003) that US doctors "list Fetishism along with schizofrena". Doctors also diagnose fetishists as "mentally retarded". The article's author then writes that "there obviously are many ways Americans are nuts". However, according to doctors in Sweden, Europe, fetishism is neither a sickness, disorder, og a sign of retardation. According to doctors in the neighbouring nation of Norway, who have found that 1/15 have some sort of fetish, fetishism is today what homosexuality was 50 years ago: Labelled among Down's syndrome and, well, schizofrena. If you somehow liked another person of your own gender, obviously something had to be wrong with your head.

The article also stated that homosexuality was removed from the list of DSMs in 1974. Isn't homosexuality really the same as fetishism (being attracted to something that most people of your own gender is not attracted to)? If so, why do US doctors diagnose it and list it as a disorder?

Öyvind W., Houston

I have a fetish for highly intelligent people. :p

Fetishes, I think, are simply very weird predilections that some very weird people have and aren't any sort of disease. It's like calling someone retarded for liking something out of the ordinary. It does not belong with such conditions as schizophrenia.

Archived