Home

WIP: Helm's Deep

Matt-Liell

I know there was one of these before but I never saw anymore about it. I had planned to make a Rohan map for awhile but decided to make Helm's Deep instead. I was working on my Legolas model and needed help and noone was helping so I decided to continue with Helm's Deep. I just have the rough shapes of the map inplace now except the walkway around the outer wall. I'm working on Uruk-Hai models to spread on the floor to look like they have been killed and when I'm done I'm going to use Chairwalkers orc model if I get permission to put outside the outer wall to give it the Helm's Deep feel. I made this map according to the movie AND my personal ideas so its not movie exact but its pretty close, and with that here it is!

shot0174.jpg

shot0175.jpg

shot0176.jpg

shot0177.jpg

shot0178.jpg

shot0179.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1)Thanks for helping me "un-miss" the tower. :)

2) For the torches, you probably are already doing this but I would just make a torch shaped thing and put it on the wall, and the fire with fx_runner, and have either one small light for each torch or many spotlites.

3) A friend of mine says you should put ladders on the walls like the orcs climed up. A push trigger could be used.

LotR all the way!

All great ideas! I think I may make the ladders and about the fx_runner, do I have to model a flame or does it make one?

I'm compiling the map right now, I changed all those ramps to actual stone stairs and put some mountain textures on the walls. After I test it I'll get some pics and show you then I'll work on the torches.

Hmm. It desperately cries out to be worked on. It's really blocky, and you should play around with the textures, there are better ones to use, you might even make your own (and vary them, as well). Also, be sure you've got the setting down...there's Helm's Deep itself, the gorge, and then the wall cuts that off from the outside plains, and the Hornburg is at one end of the wall. I'm a huge LotR fan (one of those who has a pretty good idea what everything looks like from reading the books, luckily Peter Jackson is also one of those fans), and what you've got doesn't really look like Helm's Deep to me. You also really need to build some sort of exterior setting...It's hard to see what you're trying to map when it's all built on a random floating square.

Originally posted by wedge2211

Hmm. It desperately cries out to be worked on. It's really blocky, and you should play around with the textures, there are better ones to use, you might even make your own (and vary them, as well). Also, be sure you've got the setting down...there's Helm's Deep itself, the gorge, and then the wall cuts that off from the outside plains, and the Hornburg is at one end of the wall. I'm a huge LotR fan (one of those who has a pretty good idea what everything looks like from reading the books, luckily Peter Jackson is also one of those fans), and what you've got doesn't really look like Helm's Deep to me. You also really need to build some sort of exterior setting...It's hard to see what you're trying to map when it's all built on a random floating square.

thats some harsh judgement from someone who only complains. its like that because its a WIP, done a done product. lets see some of your maps.

neways - good stuvs so far.

question - is it gonna be raining and everything?

idea - every so often, you should make (in the sky) arrows go flyin back and forth

last question - is that legolas' sword your using in those pics? need legolas' sword...*eyes glaze over and drools*

keep up da good work! cant wait for this and legolas!

Archived