Home

Your speculation on Technological Advances

Pnut_Man

Post your ideas about where our technology is going and will go. You can talk about anything from videogames to automobiles to housing...

Looking at the videogaming industry:

The current playstation 2 models display an average of 5000 polygons per model. I Believe the next step in videogaming will allow the normal model to have over 50000 polygons.

ALL OF THESE COULD HAPPEN VERY SOON OR THEY COULD BE VERY FAR AWAY.

Autos: I think that Hydrogen powered cars are gonna come out and then (dunno how long from now) I hope that we will be able to replace cars with ships (like Star Wars :D ) That would be cool.

Video Games: I believe that these will someday let us actually go into the game and make it 3d around us instead of watching it on a screen.

Housing: Robots will be used in every house and we will have "smart houses" which can clean themselves, open doors, and cook food etc. on word of mouth command.

TV: I have no idea what could become of tvs...

Comps: Huge amounts of data can be stored memory cards and harddrives that are the size of your fingernail. Eye comps in which where you move your eye dictates where the "mouse moves". The screen is only on one eye and fits like a hat.

Space Exploration: With the events of the Columbia... who can say now. But I do believe that there will be colonies out in space (like the ring in Halo) and that we wil be able to colonize Mars and other planets.

Time Travel: I wouldn't want this to be invented but it could happen.. I think that it would only make the world worse because if it got into the wrong person's hands...

Teleportation: I believe that someday we will be able to teleport to anyplace on the face of the earth as long as there is a receptor there.

Teleportation: I believe that someday we will be able to teleport to anyplace on the face of the earth as long as there is a receptor there.

They already have proven this can be done...but it's along ways away before we will be able to...think though...that would change the world in so many ways...no more forms of travel like trains or planes...just your friendly teleportation station :p

I think that bio implants will start being sold to improve yourself...and then it will be taken so far that "we are the borg...you will be assimilated"...not joking though:(

Technology makes humans arrogant, I feel. We think we are so great because we can do just about anything with technology, while all across the world, "12:00" blinks on VCR's in silent mockery of our "achievements."

However, Technology is also very key to survival nowadays, and there is no way to escape it. It will find you. It is like a predator. It's stalking you. It's hiding in your computer, your tv, your radio. It's out to get you.

Ahem, just a public service announcement, this post was made while I have the temparature of 101 degrees and have a sharp pain in my back.

I believe that computer games will be "3D", not just a screen that you keep staring at.

I believe games will get physical.

Your physical strenght, speed and precision will play a role in who is l337 and who isn't.

There will be real "force feedback". If you get hit, you'll feel it. And I'm not just talking about a mouse that vibrates. :D

Of course, I can see Virtual Reality making a comeback. We are slowly gaining the knowledge and the technology to take Virtual Reality to the "real level". I'm guessing in about 20 or so years, there will be options to allow yourself to live double your lifespan. Doctors will go in and increase the lifespan of your cells while altering your DNA (heard about it in science last year..O-o). Eventually once laws have been passed to allow it, Genetic Engineering will get big, and possibly the dreaded "cloning".

Here's another interesting topic: Where do you think Warfare Techonology is going? Will we one day use Mech Machines in battle?

Technology will generally lead us where it is economically viable for companies to do so. VHS is technologically inferior to BETA, yet we use VHS, since it was in the market at the right place at the right time.

CRT's will not disappear whilst it is still cost effective to make them cheaply compared to alternatives.

VCR's will not disappear until digital forms of recording are cost effective, and "free" from heavy copyright infringement. After all, if digital recording is allowed, then it won't take much to interface it to a PC....

DVD's are an example where one technology has helped sales in closely related items. Buy a DVD player, get the Dolby Digital/DTS receiver, and the 5 or 6 speakers, along with the subwoofer, and a larger screen. Why would companies come up with something that makes this kind of upgrade scale non-existant, it would only lead to loss in profits...

You could go on and on about what could happen, but whilst there are companies that make huge profits over what we currently use, they will also control what we will use to replace that item.

Speaking of warfare, I downloaded a 74 page .pdf unclassified US military document that was about space warfare and plans on what to develop looking towards the year 2025.

Its an interesting read, its at http://www.theblackvault.com and is called ADA392588.pdf but its title is "Star Tek--Eploiting the Final Frontier: Counter Space Operations in the year 2025" if you wish to search for it. *Forget how I found it. It is legit however. Check with the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) if you wish.

3d monitors are already out, but cost a lot and only have the 3D effect within a 5 degree radius. So you can get uncomfortable having to sit in the same position. That was two years ago however.

Transporting devices like in Star Trek are feasible and have been successful in experiments with a photon being transported and I think a laser beam as wellor some sought of light. However, the original copy is destroyed which leads to ethical issues. And for it to be practical for living things, it must be precise (I'm not talking just to the millimetre here ;) ) Check http://www.howstuffworks.com for some information. It would be much like a fax, but the copy being sent being destroyed.

Video games I think will be going towards smarter polygons rather than quantity of polygons (This is what John Carmack wants and he usually gets it ;) ), so a hundred passes of one polygon would be better than having 100 polygons so to speak. Doom 3 actually has artists make 1,000,000 polygon models and they run it through a program and it turns it into a 5000 polygon model but looks very much the same because the 5000 polygon model is bump mapped which uses shadow techniques which looks very good and saves a lot of graphics power.

You can also see the road to smarter polygons being taken now with greater use of pixel and vertex shaders. Note, these do not refer specifically to shadowing as the name may sound. :)

Oh yeah, and Jamaica gets voted in unanimously to head the UN. :)

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

I hope that we will be able to replace cars with ships (like Star Wars :D ) That would be cool.

Hovercars have actually been put to R&D, I think.

TV: I have no idea what could become of tvs...

They would survive, in some form or another, I think. Like the radio: Very, very practical, even if something more advanced pops up.

Space Exploration: With the events of the Columbia... who can say now. But I do believe that there will be colonies out in space (like the ring in Halo) and that we wil be able to colonize Mars and other planets.

I believe that colonization of space is the only way to prevent a specicidal war: I think that humans need never-ceaseing expansion. But we'll have to see what comes first...

Time Travel: I wouldn't want this to be invented but it could happen.. I think that it would only make the world worse because if it got into the wrong person's hands...

I'd like to see someone get around the Grandmother Paradox.

Thing is, though, you'd most likely have to be split up into atoms and reasembled at the destination. With our present knowledge of the mind, that would mean death. But objects... Oh, boy...

Technology makes humans arrogant, I feel. We think we are so great because we can do just about anything with technology, while all across the world, "12:00" blinks on VCR's in silent mockery of our "achievements."

Technology has made us divine. Take a caveman without technology and put him into a modern world. He would worship us as gods, or fear us to be daemons, or both. "Let there be light, God said (and pressed the switch), and there was light." (Note: I'm not trying to be blasphemous (this time).) We are arrogant for a good reason.

Or another example: With Roman numbers it took a high education to learn how to multiply two numbers. With the Arabian ones and a pocket calculator, it takes close to five seconds.

Oh, I almost forgot the advances I think will come: Depends on a lot of things, really. I have no idea what ground-breaking stuff will crop up (or it wouldn't be ground-breaking), but bigger, better everythings would be a possibility. Unless we are plunged into another Dark Age, which I consider a very real possibility.

Originally posted by RoguePhotonic

I think lightsabers can't be done...because what is stopping the laser?....it's not possible for it to just stop like that.....

It's not a laser. It's a plasma core surrounded by a "force field" similar to that of the Deathstar and other capital ships. Once it's possible to make such a futuristic force shield, it'd most likely be possible to safely shield a plasma core with variable length.

Starwars.com does amazing things to your knowledge of pseudoscience.

Pointless....a forcefield around it?...well then it would be like hitting someone with a stick since nothing will pass through the shield....

Yeah... pretty much just a stick..... that's a few thousand degrees hot.

Originally posted by C'jais

Yeah... pretty much just a stick..... that's a few thousand degrees hot.

Lmao...

If lightsabers were ever made I wouldn't expect to see them in the local pawn shop...They'll probably be on the black market, just like those good ole nuclear warheads..

Hmmm...I suppose you might be able to heat the forcefield...but ****...if you could would be to hot to hold....

The idea is that the force field shields you from the heat as it allows none to escape. But once you touch it, the heat is put on the object.

Of course, this rests on however we define this "force field" business. There are many paradoxes too it: Won't the air itself be turned into plasma as soon as it hits the saber? Shouldn't the saber be unable to cast a shadow? Wouldn't it result in the saber having no mass at all (therefore making it impossible to swing it about as seen in the movies with a gravitional focal point on the blade, and not in the hilt as would be expected if it had no mass)?

Im thinking... matter materializers, rearranging atoms in front of you to create objects..gotta figure out how to keep them stable though, but hey, is a fun idea to think about..and huge VR rooms that require some of us lazier game-players to actually get up off our butts and use something besides our thumbs to play some games, or at least better graphics on games, though I think that a lot of graphics now are pretty good...

Well, we know those ancestors of ours will be able to do something better than us, I mean some of those Sci-Fi dreams have to come true, right?

Archived