Home

Elaines voice in EMI

Mullog

She wasn't English, she was Cajun (though I, an Englishman, thought she was English too).

I really liked Elaine's voice in CMI, actually; she's a bitch throughout the series anyway, and in EMI, she's way too goofy to be remotely believable...much like the rest of the game :(.

elain in efmi wasn't the elaine in the rest of the series. she loved guybrush too much (she loved him in cmi, but at least wasn't afraid to get angy, if it wasn't fot the punching scene in the beggining of efmi, we would have lost the entire character of her)

in mi1, she like guybrush, but got caught up in the moment at times and thought she like him when it was nothing more than an infatuation. in mi2, she basically makes that clear and says that she doesn't like him even though he does.

then ron gilbert and tim schafer left

elaine suddenly like guybrush again moreso than before, but still retained that elaine charm and independance about her (although i think she could have fought her way out of capture at the end and was left out of the story for too long). in my personal opinion, i didn't feel it was elaine in efmi.

and yes, i did prefer the cajun accent, it was more authentic, there would ahve been a very faint american accent that the time and there would ahve been mroe spanish and english pirates than any other so i liked it (i am also english so it's nice to see some english action for once).

Originally posted by The Feral Chicken

She wasn't English, she was Cajun (though I, an Englishman, thought she was English too).

I really liked Elaine's voice in CMI, actually; she's a bitch throughout the series anyway, and in EMI, she's way too goofy to be remotely believable...much like the rest of the game :(.

She wasn't really goofy in EMI. Less so than in CMI anyway. "I'm washing my hair tonight!" <== Worst... line... ever, and she had, what? Ten lines in CMI?

i absoulutely hated elaine's accent in cmi. she's a "pirate", how many pirates are there that have a british accent? and the way she sounded was really weird. like when she was talking to guybrush, she had a british accent, then she talks to wally and she sounds like some teeny-bopper girl. "thanks, wally. it's an engagement ring from guyrbush."

stan's voice was done pretty well, the way he looked in emi, though was terrible(not to get off topic). he looked like a freak. either that or (i'm sorry if i'm gonna offend anyone, and i don't mean this in the way that these kinds of people are freaks, but)a really poor kid off the streets of kenya or something(regular rib cage and then skinny because of starvation).

sorry, sorry, sorry, if the kenya thing offended anyone!

but i did like the way he looked in cmi better. i do like the original look the best, but i think the cmi look goes good with the voice they chose for cmi. but he needs to look more like the mi1/2 ones in mi5, that is, if they bring him back.:D

She was a governor with a mansion wich is quite english as far as I concern. And actually there were quite a lot of english pirates, or atleast Irsh pirates but never mind. I guess that I don't like the new voice because I'm not really fond of any american accent. ;)

I can see that many of you think that Elaine's vocie (probably only the americans but nm) is better now but the only concern of mine is that you actually do a thing as switch voice. It's like changing on of the keycharacters's actor in the middle of a movie. Ah.. No big deal..

america was born round about that time, so the accent would have still had a little english and irish in it (or spanish) i dont think anyone would have spoken like guybrush (despite however many movies you've seen) and definately not like elaine in efmi.

also think for a while of general pirate lingo ("Batten down the hatches!"All hands on deck") and think about how a pirate (such as LeChuck) would say them. now put it in an american accent, it just doesn't sound right as an actual pirate voice like lechucks isn't american, but closer to english when you think about it.

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

I also hated Stan's voice too though! :) Is it just me or did he have a southern accent in MI1+2?? ("Howdy!" etc) It seemed much funnier (and less cliched) when he did! :)

~ Johnny

I've always imagined Stan sounding like a fast-talking Ross Perot.

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

i dont think anyone would have spoken like guybrush (despite however many movies you've seen) and definately not like elaine in efmi.

I agree but there weren't grog machines, lifeincuranses and radarsystems for cannons either, were there? ;)

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

then ron gilbert and tim schafer left

Okay, we get it! The guys didn't really agree with Ron and Tim, so what!? I'm not singling you out on this, Neil. I'm simply saying that they had artistic differentces (Ron+Tim vs The other guys), and Ron and Tim aren't coming back. Just because MI3 tryed to stear away from MI2's ending dosen't mean that the Guys didn't know what the ending met. Of course they knew what the ending met!

Sorry. I really had to get this off my chest. A lot of people say, "If only Ron and Tim were here... Blablablablabla" Or, "Well, it's offical... The makers of Mi3 had no idea what the ending met."

Please, people... Don't let this ending crap. have so much power over you.

Originally posted by The Feral Chicken

Yeah, tehre were very few American pirates (and those that were American wouldn't have such an evolved accent anyway); they were mostly Spanish and British.

and dutch

btw- i liked elaine's voice in cmi cause it was more elegant but not historically correct. some time ago there was this article published in a respected brazilian cientific magazine showing that the accents from England, Spain and Portugal by 1600 were closer to the language spoken in US, Caribe and Brazil than the languages spoken in the original countries, because of the isolation. So chances 1600 englishmen didnt have this english accent.

but i dont have anything against elaine's new voice, i like as much as cmi's elaine's voice.

and neil, it makes sence that elaine love for guybrush increases as the mi series goes by. and elaine's attitude is still pretty clear in emi, IMO.

ok, now that i've been proven to be naive, i think i'll just keep my little knowledge to myself. no, but seriously, i didn't like the accent the most because i live in america and "don't have" an accent, or a british one, at least.

on top of that, i don't even like british accents to begin with. when adults speak in a british accent, it's not majorly bad, it's barely even annoying at all, except in some cases. but what i really hate is little kids that have whiny, high-pitched british accents, like in the movie harry potter and the sorcerer's stone, lol. (or in britain, the philosopher's stone, can you believe i actually knew that?)

Originally posted by SamNMax

Okay, we get it! The guys didn't really agree with Ron and Tim, so what!? I'm not singling you out on this, Neil. I'm simply saying that they had artistic differentces (Ron+Tim vs The other guys), and Ron and Tim aren't coming back. Just because MI3 tryed to stear away from MI2's ending dosen't mean that the Guys didn't know what the ending met. Of course they knew what the ending met!

Sorry. I really had to get this off my chest. A lot of people say, "If only Ron and Tim were here... Blablablablabla" Or, "Well, it's offical... The makers of Mi3 had no idea what the ending met."

Please, people... Don't let this ending crap. have so much power over you.

whoa whoa whoa! i'm not say it was worse after they left and i'm not saying it could have been better if they stayed. some people (obviously not samnmax) think that the team on mi1 and 2 were gods. they are just as capable at making bad games as anyone else, i am not saying an mi3 made by them would be perfect.

what i was saying is that it was different. obviously the cmi team wanted to move to a different place. you have to remember the time differenc here and the time cmi came out along with the time of SOMI and LCR. people at the time of cmi wanted romance and so it had to be given to them. somi and lcr were contempory projects when cmi was less contempory, that is all. i'm not insulting or putting down either styles of games or teams behind them, i basically saying that both were different.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Elaine was better in CMI than EMI overall in my opinion. She sounded too ..."modern" in EMI. She didn't sound like a pirate princess in EMI.

Someone said that Stan sounded a bit like Jim Carrey in MI4? Maybe it would be more accurate to say that it sounded like someone (unsuccessfully) *trying* to immitate Jim Carrey. I think Carrey could have a fine voice for Stan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played MI4 first, so it was such a shock when I heard her *ahem* 'English' accent in CMI. I'm glad they changed it.

ok, now that i've been proven to be naive, i think i'll just keep my little knowledge to myself. no, but seriously, i didn't like the accent the most because i live in america and "don't have" an accent, or a british one, at least.

on top of that, i don't even like british accents to begin with. when adults speak in a british accent, it's not majorly bad, it's barely even annoying at all, except in some cases. but what i really hate is little kids that have whiny, high-pitched british accents, like in the movie harry potter and the sorcerer's stone, lol. (or in britain, the philosopher's stone, can you believe i actually knew that?)

Das Mole, we all have accents, its just that if you live in a community of same-accented people, it appears that you don't have one. Come over to England and you'll sound completly different.

Archived