Home

Kyle Katarn's Official Ages!!!

Katarn07

Everyone is saying this guy is some old relic who they should scratch off in the JK series, which is about the guy and you want him gone? You guys are nuts, seriously. The guy has saved the galaxy dozens of times, and you wanna brush him off like that?!?!?!

I think he can die at a nice old age with the Vong gone with his wife Jan and his kids as a Jedi Master on Sulon... Ahh, happy ending :D

Anyhow, here you all go. This is the offical ages of Kyle Katarn throughout both key moments in his life and the games. I collected this all from timelines, manuals, and most importantly, the New Essential Guide to Characters...

Kyle joins the Imperial Academy - 18

Kyle graduates/ Morgan dies - 22

DARK FORCES -Kyle starts the DT project - 27

JEDI KNIGHT - Kyle begins his search for Jerec and his underlings - 32

MOTS - Kyle falls to the Dark Side on Dromuund Kaas - 37 (has gray hair already, by the way...)

JO - Kyle starts his search for Desann - 41

NJO (does not appear in it, but is still alive!) - 56 (still younger than Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and if I am not mistaken, Han Solo!!!)

OK, sure.

First off, DF takes place immediately after ANH, or at least the second level does.

JK takes place a year after RotJ, according to the newer timelines.

MotS, according to the title scroll and manual, is 5 years after JK (6 after RotJ)

JO, is screwed up, as you pointed out, and this is going on the manual's info of being 10 years after RotJ.

Now, just how exactly did I get his age from all this?

According to the NEW Essential Guide to Characters, Kyle joins the Academy immediately at the age of 18. 4 years pass as he trains and then he graduates. He leaves after he learns the Imps killed his father. He becomes a mercenary for 5 years. Now, take that 18, 4, and 5 to get 27 and add the years between the games from there...

I shopuld put quotes around the word official I guess, but I was using official source, and the best out there I might add.

The timeline of the New Jedi Order series from Del Ray. You must have heard of it...

Anyways, I believe Kyle still has some more years of butt-kicking ahead of him, contrary to what some people might say. Look at Pellaeon, Grand Admiral of the Imperial Remnant. Hes over 100 years old and still kicking Vong butt. Look at Luke, Han, Leia, Mara. They are all in their 40s-50s, and still in the front lines of the war against the Vong. Why can't Kyle?

By the way, this is loosley based off of the books, which do not follow the games 100%. Kyle does not go to the Rebels right after he defects, regardless what the 1st one says. The title scroll says he is a well-known mercenary, and 5 years would do that I would think...

I loved the books anyhow. That art work was spectacular. I like the 1st one best, just because it has the fewest conflicts with the games.

The reason why many want to "kill" off Kyle is that how many more times can LucasArts throw up the "Gets fed up with the force, retrains in the force" storyline for Kyle. So far that has been the same for all of the three games, with very little variation. I think the example of throwing up the same thing every time is what has made the Tomb Raider series go into hiding for so long to actually come up with a decent game.

If we get to play Kyle for a level or two in the next one, and he passes on the baton to a new person, that would be great.

It seems someone took an interest in my "KYLE IS NOT OLD!!" post in the Jedi Knight 3 poll:p

Sounds about right to me, but the only discrepancy I find is that in the opening crawl of Jedi Outcast it says it takes place 8 years after Return of the Jedi, not 10. But as you said, it's based mostly on the books, not the games. But either way, it's still roughly the same age.

Even if he's 39-41 though, so what right? Obi-Wan was 57 in ANH, Qui-gon was in his 60's in TPM, and Count Dooku was Qui-gon's master, making Dooku, what 80's or 90's? And that's only if Qui-gon was his first padawan:eek: Hell, my father is 55, and I'm sure he could still give me a good ass kickin' if he felt like it:D

Oh, and Han Solo is 29 at the time A New Hope happens, so Kyle is just a little younger than Solo.

Originally posted by whitedragon

very nice reasearch. btw is MOTS any good if so i need to get it from a friend

Story is lacking, but if you like JK, MotS is better in gameplay. Story got just a tad better when they continued the story with JO. They just kind of left it hanging! What were they thinking... :tsk:

Archived