Home

JK2 to JK3 conversion?

Khier

There are a bunch of great models for JK2, and I've been thinking, would it be possible to get those models, and maps I suppose, converted into JK3? I guess we won't be able to find out until more information on the game comes around, but it would be a real shame to finally get a great model done by the time the game comes out, but no one uses or downloads it because they're all playing JK3.

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

I want to try to make sure we release the details about what model-makers need to do to get their JK2 custom models to work in the new game (including, if necessary, releasing some tools a little early to make it so that modders can have their custom models ready-to-play by the time the game hits the shelves).

;)

Mostly everything's going to be the same methinks. I highly doubt they have messed with the model format itself, but I'm pretty sure they have improved the GHOUL2 system.

Take SP for example. Assuming they don't remove any entities that are already there and only add new ones (which would be the best way to do it), it would be possible to put a JO SP map into JA. As long as they don't remove any ents, everything should still be there. This is disreguarding lack of old media though.

Originally posted by wudan

I have no doubts that models will be completely compatible. As for maps, because the weapon drops won't be the same, a mod would be needed, or perhaps Raven is already putting this in to the game.

Raven has already stated that the model format IS different.

My indication from Raven is that making the GLA editor is a good thing, and that they never expected a mod team to really need to make new animations. Given the ammount of active TCs out there for JK2, I'd say that's accurate.

Archived