Home

Galaxies discontinued on XBox?

Crowkeeper

Yes, I already know some computer gamers despise the console gamers and I do not wish to start some debate which is better. With that said, I just noticed that lucasarts.com has removed the Xbox logo from the Star Wars Galaxies product web site. Does anyone know if Galaxies has been discontinued for the Xbox? Again, I could care less about how some of you might feel about consoles, please try to keep this thread about whether or not this awesome game will end up on the Xbox!

- Thanks

I would think that the game would come out for the PS2 before XBox, due to the fact that SONY is making the game. But knowing the gameing industry today they just want to make alot of dinero, so my guess will be that they will make the game accessible to as many consoles as possible.

I just saw the Lucasarts website and notice the same thing that the author of the thread has mentioned. Apparently, Lucasarts has taken Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided off it's list of X-box and Playstation 2 games. It only shows up on the PC list of games. That is wierd. Maybe they decided to release the PC version first and see how many people buy it. Then make the decision to release it for X-box and Playstation 2. Then again there is no release date for the PC version and the beta 3 testing phase has been going on about 4 weeks. I guess it won't matter for people like me who won't have internet access when it is released.

Now that the playstation 2 version is not coming out. There is no Star Wars Playstation 2 game coming out for 2003. They better come out with something this year. All they have scheuled for 2003 for Playstation 2 are RTX Red Rock, Gladius, Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb, Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels, and Secret Weapons over Normandy. I think they are going to release a new game at E3 2003 for all three console systems called Wrath.

Maybe I'm on the wrong thread, but since we're kinda talking about releasing, I'll go ahead,

Many people say they don't know when SWG will come out, but when pre-ordering mine today, it said the delivery date will be June 14. Is this a speculation...? More importantly, did I make a big mistake pre-ordering? :skul5:

Playstation 2 may be the oldest of the systems but it is got advantages over systems like Gamecube. Such as the ability to play CD's and DVD's and ability to play games online.

Back to the topic, I probably won't buy the PC version due to system requirements and being an online only game.

I can only assume X-box and PS2 versions are cancelled for 2003 since they don't even appear in the list of games on Lucasarts.com. I can only hope there is a non-internet Star Wars for Playstation 2 scheduled for release for 2003 or I am going to be really upset at Lucasarts.

The question of whether it was cancelled for the xbox has been on my mind for a while. My best guess would be that they probably want to wait until the PC version is up and running before releasing it for the Xbox. Another reason could be that they might want to integrate the Space Expansion into the Xbox version, since the Xbox doesn't handle expansion packs.

I don't think that it's been cancelled, since SWG would work great on the Xbox. Now before I get flamed, let me state my case.

1.) A lot of people mention the controller as being a problem. Not so, look at Jedi Knight II which has the some of the lightsaber/blaster/sniper etc... play mechanics that are present in SWG. That game is fine on the xbox, so SWG should have no problem with that.

2.) Player interaction was mentioned. This is where you are completely wrong. The Xbox's voice communication totally trumps anything the PC has. It makes the game experience that much more interesting.

3.) Graphics has been mentioned a lot. Apparently the Xbox's 700 mhz processor can't handle the game. That's where a lot of people go wrong. A console works very differently from a PC, where as a PC has a processor that's designed for all sorts of different tasks. The console processor is optimized for a single task- playing games. The other thing is that the Xbox has a modified Geforce 3, and the game is being OPTIMIZED for the Geforce 3, so no problems there.

4.) The Xbox also has an advantage over the PC in terms of network performance. Xbox Live is a rock solid system, with none of the compatibility problems that plague some PC networks.

5.) Another person mentioned that the Xbox would have trouble with patching. Does "Downloadable Content" ring a bell?

Personally, if the game doesn't come out for the Xbox by August, I'll basically buy a new computer to play the game. I'm not gonna wait until next year for this game, no way I'm gonna wait that long...

Archived