Home

What shall we declare JA as?

Toa Tahu

What shall we declare Jedi Academy as?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What shall we declare Jedi Academy as?

• First Person Shooter
    • Action/Adventure
    • Role-Playing Game
    • combination of any two(please specify)
    • all
    • what is a RPG?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is a dynamic single and multiplayer action experience featuring an all-new epic story.

notice the bold word.

also since the game is going to be built off of JO, and since the JO website specificly labels JO as a FPS, then its a FPS.

tho i'm really sick and tired of people making arguments on genre's when they truely don't know what the genre's really are.

in any action game you play as a certain character. that does not make it an RPG. if it has action, then its action, no matter if you customize your character or not.

and the VIEW has nothing to do with what genre it is either. other than the first game (Wolfenstein 3-D) was first person it made the genre FPS because it was the first of its kind.

not only do the view and playing a character not determine the genre, neither does the method of combat

Originally posted by Solbe M'ko

I found JO to be sort of a mix of Bushido Blade style fighter and 3rd person action game, but it all depends on how you play/percieve the game.

It is easy to sub-genre just about any game to death - are Postal 2, JKII, MoHAA and Unreal II all the same genre? But the basic playing style is similar - these are not really RPG's, and they are certainly not strategy - either RT or turn based. They are not one-hit you're dead, no pickup tactical shooters either. They are action games, person-to-person conflict based. FPS covers that well enough for me - no matter that the visceral experience differs greatly from game to game.

Mike

If Quake 3 got it's weapons replaced by swords and maces and spears instead of guns, would it still be a FPS? I say yes.

In No One Lives Forever 2 you can put points in different abilities like damage, life, sneak, search... Is it a FPS? I say yes. (excellent game btw, go buy it)

If you replaced the lightsaber in JK2 (JO) with a mace, replaced the guns with bows and stones, replaced the settings and characters with castle-like-things, would YOU call it a FPS? I say yes you would.

Everyone wants Star Wars to be really special no matter what, but although a lightsaber is a awesome thing it don't mean it "takes the game where no game gone before". It's just a sword that's been done a million times in other games, this time the different is that it glows. Melee heavy games has existed many years. But they where FPS.

JA is a FPS and just as many other FPS games today it evolves and mix and blends other cathegories, but it is a FPS.

Originally posted by Rumor

did you even READ what we have said?

the METHOD OF COMBAT

does NOT determine the genre.

Really, there's no need to SHOUT your OPINION at people. :tsk::rolleyes: Everyone perceives games they play in their own way, so try to respect someone's else's view, even as you disagree with it. Thanks. :cool:

Personally, I think the term FPS (First Person Shooter) is simply outdated and does not encompass the full range and variety of games currently on the market. BTW, that's my opinion, and I couldn't give a flying...hoot...if it's technically right or wrong.

sorry storm but we have gotten the RPG crap shoved down our throats for a long time and get kicked and banned from servers cause are are "lame" cause we actually want to play the game.

as a friend from SoV said, "I am just another person sitting in a virtual chatroom...."

and Splinter Cell is a Tactical Shooter. and yes it IS an action game. doesn't matter if the action is slow or zergling like in Serious Sam.

Originally posted by Rumor

sorry storm but we have gotten the RPG crap shoved down our throats for a long time and get kicked and banned from servers cause are are "lame" cause we actually want to play the game.

as a friend from SoV said, "I am just another person sitting in a virtual chatroom...."

and Splinter Cell is a Tactical Shooter. and yes it IS an action game. doesn't matter if the action is slow or zergling like in Serious Sam.

To me there is a ***HUGE*** difference between 'build your jedi' and immersive character development RPG-ish elements being put in a FPS/action game and going to a FFA server and seeing 8 of the 10 people with 'talk' boxes over their heads, building stacks on each other, and the other two supposedly deuling, but really just in an endless dance of bows and other things like that.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

To me there is a ***HUGE*** difference between 'build your jedi' and immersive character development RPG-ish elements being put in a FPS/action game and going to a FFA server and seeing 8 of the 10 people with 'talk' boxes over their heads, building stacks on each other, and the other two supposedly deuling, but really just in an endless dance of bows and other things like that.

Mike

So true.

Nah! The action wasn't the main part of splinter cell (for me). I found the sneakin and the lookin under the doors to be the main idea of that game. But it doesn't matter.

exactly its a Tactical Shooter. it doesn't matter if the action is the main part of it for you, it IS an action game. but it is not the in-your-face type, thus it is a tactical shooter, but a shooter/action game no less. if you don't belive me look it up on amazon.

Amazon! Are you crazy! I stopped trusting the games industry long ago to tell me what kind of game it really is. Anyway, JK is not an FPS for me, I really don't even play the shooting levels the same as I would play, say Unreal 2. As far as I'm concerned, It's a fighting game with a 3rd person camera. Maybe that's because I really only play duels on MP...

Regardless, It's always up to the player to decide what he's playing. Lot's of people say that Rogue Squadron was a flight sim, I said it was more like Shadows of the Empire with ships instead of a dude. It's all in the mind of who's playing.

-PS- Has anyone heard anything about a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter style game for PC? I've been waiting years for that to come back.

if they are calling RS a flight sim they need to learn what the genre's really are. RS is no more a sim than Rush.

as i said previously (sorry no big, red, capped, underlined words for you this time =( )

the VIEW doesn't determine the genre either.

tho it makes me wonder if people can read anything that doesn't have those big, red letters.........or at least comprehend it

Regardless, It's always up to the player to decide what he's playing.

I usually never give it much thought :)

Lot's of people say that Rogue Squadron was a flight sim...

Then lots of people are fools...

-PS- Has anyone heard anything about a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter style game for PC? I've been waiting years for that to come back.

I haven't heard of any. But I'd really love a new one taking advantage of today's technology. And I don't want any Prequel stuff either. Nothing but OT for that series!

Originally posted by txa1265

Mike

I have to agree with you. I know I recently went on a server, supposedly running FFA, and everyone was simply standing around watching duel's take place on the Bespin platform - or practicing their moves. I joined in a bit, but I got bored after a while and left the server. I also played CTF recently, and on this one server there was a guy standing in the middle of the corridor with a talk box over his head for the entire 2 hours I was playing. After I'd been playing 15 minutes I joined his team because he wasn't doing anything to help them, and they were losing. That's a bit ridiculous, IMHO.

Anyway...as I said before, different people perceive games in different ways, and personally I don't think FPS is a good enough description for a game like JO, or now JA. That doesn't mean I can't live with it though. ;)

Rumor is correct. Keep in mind there are often several sub-genres for each main genre. General genres are things like Action, Adventure, Roleplay. First and third person shooters fall under action. They certantly are not their own genre because all that is different is the camera angle and possibly some of the combat.

Roleplay almost always involves turn-based combat or some incarnation of it, JA has nothing of the sort. Borrowing a few ideas from an RPG doesn't turn an FPS into an RPG.

Archived