Home

Luke vs Wedge dogfight- who'd win? read first and then vote!

benTantilles

who'd win in an all's-fair dogfight between wedge & luke?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. who'd win in an all's-fair dogfight between wedge & luke?

• wedge
    • wedg- i mean, luke

Funny. All the SW freaks, myself included thinks lukes da man over at theforce.net.... :p but still, if given the choice... anakin skywalker is the greatest starfighter pilot in the galaxy(ben kenobis words, not mine!!)

the njo, whether one likes it or not, has many descriptions of flight combat formations and techniqes that only jedi could pull off...

as good as other pilots are, eg jag fel for instance, it is impossible to perform those manoeuvres without the force

MFBWYA

*goes back to reading TUF*

Sad but true, Lynk. But only on these forums. And those points mean Luke is an excellent pilot, so...

Well said, Astrotoy7!!!

Long live the Jedi!!! Course, the only reason Anakin is the best is because he's the strongest Jedi in history. Without the Force, Wedge or Luke would kick his sorry butt from here to yesterday.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

I was never a Jedi fan, as soon as you think Jedi you think Star Wars Geek

Aw Cmon Lynk ! (**Cheers to a fellow Aussie !**)

Star Wars without jedi is like a Bruce Lee movie without Kung Fu...... might as well watch Battlestar Galactica, which is cool in its own right, but just *not* SW....

Yes, I am SW geek :p I dont walk around with a robe and a plastic saber in my pocket, but I love EU, and the pc/console games.... and am strictly spoiler free for ep 3.....

With 10,000+ posts , Im sure you must've accumulated those discussing things related to SW ! Geeky :p

MTFBWYA

lol i didn't say i wanted the jedi out i just said i didn't really like the whole jedi thing, the lightsabers are kewl but when i first saw Star Wars the best bits were the space and starfighter battles for me.

I hope ep3 has some great space battles.... it would be great to se Republic Cruisers(early star destroyers) in action...

..though the fett/obi wan dequence was cool in AOTC

..in the meantime, the best equivalent you'll get is playing 'Rogue Leader' and 'Rebel Strike' - if you can convince a 10 year old to lend you his gamecube, that is.... nonetheless, great games !!!

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

..in the meantime, the best equivalent you'll get is playing 'Rogue Leader' and 'Rebel Strike' - if you can convince a 10 year old to lend you his gamecube, that is.... nonetheless, great games !!!

I started here in 1999 in the RogueSquadron.Net forums back when I played RS1. I have a GCN (WHICH IS NOT KIDDY DAMMIT! PLAY METROID PRIME AND THEN TRY TO SAY IT'S KIDDY) and I have RS2 and I'll be gettin RS3 next month. I'm also a fan of the old X-Wing series which I still love playing as much as RS.

@ Master_Keralys: Nope Wedge has natural talent and skill and he's had far more training than Skywalker when it comes to piloting. Wedge is more efficient with his piloting and is considered a true pilot. All he rely's on is himself, his X-Wing and his astromech. Nothing more.

I started here in 1999 in the RogueSquadron.Net forums back when I played RS1. I have a GCN (WHICH IS NOT KIDDY DAMMIT! PLAY METROID PRIME AND THEN TRY TO SAY IT'S KIDDY) and I have RS2 and I'll be gettin RS3 next month. I'm also a fan of the old X-Wing series which I still love playing as much as RS.

I love gettin cubeheads riled up with the kiddy comparisons.... :p however...

Actually Lynk, I have an increasing fondness for the cube, and will be getting my hands on one early next year, and I'll only ever want to play 3 games on it.... Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike and Final Fantasy CC(actually I might have a go at the Sonic games, I am old skool sonic fan). I also have a GBAdvance which id love to play on my tv through the cube, especially to play Final Fantasy Tactics(can you tell I am a Final Fantasy fan yet.....see also, my avatar) I do think the controller is shyte though, and look forward to trying out the ps2 controller converter.....

Yeah I loved the old Xwing series, especially XWA, man what a *great* storyline accompanying a flight/combat sim.... the greatest ever IMHO. I wish Larry Holland would be asked back by LA to have a go at it utislising todays hardware....that would be great.... though the Star trek game, 'Bridge Commander' also by Holland/Totally games was pretty darn cool....

MTFBWYA

All the SW freaks, myself included thinks lukes da man over at theforce.net....

of course...that's why wedge beat luke 58-48 in the poll, didn't he? :D

Gotta disagree with you there, Lynk. The NJO kicks some serious butt. I don't like everything about it, but I enjoy most of it.

same here. i'm only up to DW, but it's an excellent series for the most part.

i'd disagree with the rest of master keraly's points, tho....

Also, Luke may have flown a T-16 before, but he'd never actually been in combat. While he might have felt a little more at home in an X-wing than Wedge, those two extra missions can make a big difference. I don't think anyone else is taking into account the psychological factor of it, either. Luke was a fresh-off-the-planet idealistic farmboy; Wedge was already very experienced in the universe as a whole.

very experienced? i'd be inclined to disagree. wedge was about the same age as luke, and sources have all pointed to him being a happy-go-lucky pilot then.

Next point: Wedge survived the battle of Yavin because Luke told him to get out of the trench. Everyone seems to have forgotten that except for that command, he'd have died like Biggs (and like Luke would have without Han's help).

yeah, he almost definitely would've died had luke not ordered him out.... but keep in mind that wedge was skilled enough to actually have the opportunity to bug out. biggs, dutch, pops & all those other trench-runners were in exactly the same position as wedge, yet they were killed immediately in vader's first pass. they weren't capable enough of even partially evading vader's lasers. wedge, in contrast, must've successfully evaded a fair bit of the dark lord's fire, because his craft wasn't immediately destroyed, just damaged. a lot. which points to him being a superior pilot.

evidence from both the movies and the EU point to him being a superior pilot than anyone else, skywalker included. to actually compare the relative skills of two pilots, you have to base your judgment on the performances of pilots on equal footing. you can't just claim that, hey, luke made a great shot at yavin which wedge could never hope to do on the best day of his life (which is untrue, incidentally), because there's no evidence to back it up. in the case of wedge & luke, the ability to compare them on equal footing rarely occurs, but there nonetheless ARE still a few examples.

at the battle of yavin, before the trench run, both biggs & luke are shown to be occupied with TIEs on their tail. wedge, however, is not shown to be ever tailed. of course, this COULD be attributed to the fact that he wasn't focused on in the assault (which is, to a certain degree, true), but i'm inclined to disagree. after all, while wedge wasn't the focus, biggs & luke WERE. both wedge's wingmen--- the people he'd be relying on to save his ass--- were shown to be busy with things and were not shown as helping wedge. either wedge picked up a tail and shook it off himself OR he didn't pick one up at all-- either of which points to him being a better pilot. also, don't forget that biggs was too busy to clear luke's tail when he picked one up. wedge, however, wasn't, which points to him being on top of things, which should be ascribed to his superior skill.

sure, this is a pretty iffy judgment which depends on a lot of variables, but it's what we have to make do with, and it points to wedge being a better pilot.

a better example would be hoth. luke skywalker & wedge antilles are in a similar position as possible: they're in snowspeeders rushing headfirst to take on a group of AT-ATs. luke gets shot not once but TWICE, the first shot killing his gunner & the second taking out his craft. wedge, however, fares much better-- he doesn't get his gunner killed and keeps his craft in the air long enough to skillfully take down a walker-- longer than luke. at this point, they have the same level of experience ...3 years to be precise. yet, wedge performed better than luke, in spite of the latter's abilities with the Force, which obviously shows that he is much better gifted with flying skills and natural talent.

and that's just the movies.... i'll bring up the EU some other time. or u could save yourself the trouble and check out the best pilot thread at TFN's lit thread yourself. the link is a couple of posts up here... in my previous post.

but here it is anyway...

• 9 months later...

As the moderator assigned to the forum I say that ressurecting an ancient thread is a bad thing. You as the member should go "okay, sorry, it won't happen again."

We don't go around closing every thread that becomes old, we feel that we don't have to go to such extreme measures. I don't know where my "personal vendetta" to this thread came from but I advise you to put your head back into reality. It'll do you a lot of good.

Archived