Home

Matrix Reloaded: Reviewed (err... kinda)

Boba Rhett

It was a pretty explicit portrayal though, considering how well everything was timed with the music and such, also I'm sure the Orgasmic Chocolate didn't help it too much.

Also I was wondering, can you give us the un-cuss word version of what the French guy said Sherack? I've been wondering what felt like wiping his buttocks with silk. :D

Now then, my thinking points about the movie. HUGE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

First off, I'm not sure what was going on with that whole Zion party scene, I really think it was just there to show how mature Neo & Trinity's love was, and to give the movie a sex scene, but beyond that, I'm just not catching on to the whole tribal thing.

Now what I thought was really cool was all of that talk about choice. How the Matrix that worked was one that was based on humans thinking they had a choice, therefore they made the choice the machines wanted, but there will always be the one that makes the choice the machines don't want, I.E. the resistors.

So the machines gave Neo the illusion of choice between the doors, thinking of course he'd pick the one they wanted, the rebuilding of Zion and such. Well he didn't, and I totally agree with what Redwing said, the Oracle is a program, it selects 'the one' so the machines can repeat the rebuilding of Zion and the system can continue, but this time the choice the machines wanted was not made. All the illusion of choice.

Another thing that I liked was the balance thing and Cause & Effect. How does it relate to the entire movie? Well, the machines need the humans, and the humans need the machines to survive. Neo made the choice to where all the humans would die, so what do the machines have to do? Well they have to preserve themselves, which means preserving the humans, so they cannot destroy Zion, otherwise the Matrix will falter and the system will crash no more power for the machines, and no more existance for either groups.

All I can say after my midnight psychological mumblings is that I liked this movie very much for it's plot that made me think very deeply, much more so than any other movie, and I cannot wait for the end of it, it'll be very interesting to see how everything ties together. :)

Also can someone confirm or deny the destruction of Zion before the movies end? The people I went to see it with were divided on this issue. I believed it hadn't been destroyed because he said Zion had 24 hours to live and the 'attack' had been on a main tunnel of sorts, and only the guy infected by Smith had survived.

And anymore comments on Smith? He's a Rogue Program now yes, but anyone have any psychological mumblings on his purpose in all of this? :confused:

this is what i think about neo stoppin the senticals

When Agent smith tryed to turn him into a copy of him self

his code got mixed with agent smiths, and since smith can control the senticals, Neo could tell them to deavicate.

And that guy lieing beside neo at the end

At the start you saw him get turned into a copy of smith then he went into the real world into that guys body, and when he was cutting his hand he was feeling what it was like to bleed, since he is machine and all, and hes in the real world trying to kill neo since hes got no chance in the matrix.but god knows why he was in a coma aswell

dose that sound about right?

that is exactly the theory i posted in the swamp on tuesday....

hmm...

well this is what I posted...when I was telling Death Jedi my theory on everything....

The architect tells Neo that he is the 6th "The One"

I think that it is Neo that infected Mr. Smith when he broke his code in the first movie. Mr. Smith has some of Neo's abilitys...and it seems as if Mr. Smith is figuring out Neo's capabilitys and powers before Neo does!

I believe that the reason that Bain (a guy who was body snatched by Mr. Smith) cut himself is Mr. Smith testing what it's like to be "human" to bleed. Now that Mr. Smith is a rogue program..he too is trying to escape the Matrix in his own personal power trip. He want's to be "The one" and rule the Matrix and that is why he needs to get rid of Neo - since he can't get rid of Neo in the Matrix...he needs to escape to the outside world via Bane and kill Neo there since neo is "only human" and can be killed outside of the Matrix. That's why I don't believe in the Matrix inside a Matrix Crap.

I also feel that the reason Neo can stop Sentenals is for the same reasons. When Neo infectected Mr. Smith his code merged with Smith's. So smith got neo's powers, neo got some smith powers. Including controling Sentenals. That's why he feels something. Neo "feels" or senses the Smiths ...and he now can feel things outside of the matrix...ever since Smith hightailed it to the real world. Now he feels Smith...and can controll sentenals because Smith has the abilty too (Smith controls them in the first movie). I think neo collapsed because it took everything he had to tap into this new power.

no, that's not exactly true. Smith has no powers in the real world, besides the ones bane's got. All he can do is coordinate with the machines, which he did and disrupt the other ships (aka the emp attack that destroys the other ships.) Neo is more than the one, kind of like Moses from the Torah. He has extraordinary power, including powers in the real world. He will deliver the human race, but he will ultimately parish for the human race, with Trinity perishing along side of him as well.

Not with the human race for the human race.

Also what do you think about that guy who was following Neo everywhere and wants to be on the crew of the Nebuchadnezzer? Is he going to evolve into a big plot point? Or is he a red herring?

It seems as though what Neo, Morpheus, etc think is outside the Matrix isn't really outside the Matrix. But part of the Matrix set up for those, as someone else stated, that can't except the reality of the Matrix.

I thought of it like this, if there was a Matrix how would someone free people from it? There would have to be people already outside of it to do that. If your trapped in the Matrix, even if you know it's not real, how do you disconnect yourself? You cant.

That's why I think we haven't seen the actual real world yet. Smith is able to leave the Matrix because he isn't actually leaving the Matrix, but the Matrix inside the Matrix. :nut:

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :)

It seems as though what Neo, Morpheus, etc think is outside the Matrix isn't really outside the Matrix. But part of the Matrix set up for those, as someone else stated, that can't except the reality of the Matrix.

I thought of it like this, if there was a Matrix how would someone free people from it? There would have to be people already outside of it to do that. If your trapped in the Matrix, even if you know it's not real, how do you disconnect yourself? You cant.

That's why I think we haven't seen the actual real world yet. Smith is able to leave the Matrix because he isn't actually leaving the Matrix, but the Matrix inside the Matrix. :nut:

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :)

Originally posted by Hannibal

According to Morpheus in the first movie, when the Matrix was first created there was a man born inside, the first "One". He was the person who 'freed' the first human beings.

Of course, now knowing that the Oracle is in league with the machines and that the prophecy is wrong, what Morpheus said could have been totally off.

EDIT: Neo couldn't have chosen the total destruction door... or else the Matrix would have immediately shut down, which it didn't... what am I thinking wrong?? :S

And Artoo, can you repeat what you said about translating what the french guy said? I don't understand what you mean by un-cuss words. Because it was all cussing o_O

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

According to Morpheus in the first movie, when the Matrix was first created there was a man born inside, the first "One". He was the person who 'freed' the first human beings.

Of course, now knowing that the Oracle is in league with the machines and that the prophecy is wrong, what Morpheus said could have been totally off.

Yeah, anything Morpheus says is what he has been told. So it could be false. We'll see in Nov. :)

My Movie Review:

The Matrix. It was the fastest-selling DVD ever. Had the best shoot-out ever. Got onto numerous Top 100 lists. It prevailed despite the R/15 ratings.

So the question is: Does the Matrix Reloaded live up to these high excpectations?

Well, yes and no. On one side there is the action and suspence. On the other side are a few (just a few) underdeveloped characters and very confusing plot.

In the last 1/3rd or so of the film, where Neo meets ... to avoid spoilers let's just say in a way he's God, there is a choice he has to make, but "God's" dialoge loses you and you will probably not be able to work out what his choice was.

There are numerous other questions to be answered, and that's just one of them.

One thing you will notice when watching the film is the changed atmosphere. There is a lot more humour, to the good part. Also the film jumps right into the story, which is not so good.

All that said, the Matrix Reloaded is a very entertaining film, and should be watched at leist once by anyone who is old enough.

Overaall Take: 8/10

I found this opinion on another forum, however i find myself to fully agree w/ him

1) Total Lack of Suspense.

At no point in Reloaded was I worried, concerned, excited or otherwise emotionally involved with the characters or action, and at no time were any of the protagonists in any real danger or threat. Remember back to the original's "apartment scene" where Morpheus is caught by the Agents, the part where Neo dodges bullets or the first time, or the classic confrontation where Neo faces Smith in the subway and doesn't run away. These sequences brought me up in the seat, and were extremely exciting and suspenseful scenes.

Now think of Reloaded and try and find one action scene where you moved up in your seat, felt deeply concerned for a character's well-being or were the least worried if he/she would survive. I couldn't find one, and the total lack of suspense in Reloaded is its main failing as a movie.

2) No True Antagonist.

Possibly the most telling flaw in Matrix Reloaded is that there is no true antagonist. The first movie was really Neo vs. the Matrix, but Agent Smith personified the Matrix and let the audience identify with one person as the 'villain". Smith is a truly memorable movie villain, and easily one of the best ever in an action flick. This is a KEY element of any successful movie, as the antagonist needs to be significant and challenging, and the audience needs to know who is opposing the Hero ASAP.

In Reloaded, we have no idea who the main antagonist is. Is it Multiple-Smith? The Ghost Twins? The Upgraded Agents? The French Guy? The Architect? Persephone? The Smith/Bane Hybrid? The Oracle? By tossing out a ton of potential antagonists, and therefore not being able to link audience expectation to a single "person", is a monstrous failure of Reloaded, and is definitely a main reason why many disliked the flick. Without a compelling and powerful main antagonist (who controls and manipulates the main plot throughout) you cannot have a compelling movie.

3) Horrid "Talking Head" Exposition.

What the Waz Brothers did in Reloaded is to make a common film student mistake of featuring "talking heads" blabbing exposition without making the scene interesting or kinetic. The original handled exposition extremely well, and crucial information was given "in action" where characters were in constant motion while delivering the important facts of the movie. Nobody droned on for minutes at a time, and if monologues were given, the scene was full of movement, secondary action and suspense (as when Smith interrogates Morpheus).

In Reloaded, we literally see Most Common Student Film Mistake #1, where characters are standing, sitting or otherwise locked in stationary positions, delivering long and boring expository monologues. Nothing else happens in the scene, there is no threat, no movement, no action, no suspense, just "talking heads" blabbering for minutes on end. That is the definition of movie boredom.

4) No Plot or Pacing.

Reloaded started off with what I feel is THE most boring opening sequence ever, lasting upwards of 40 minutes. For that period in time, absolutely nothing happens to move the plot forward, "talking head" exposition reigns supreme, and corny dialogue abounds. Now there doesn't have to be fight scenes every few minutes, but remember back to the original, with its exciting Trinity opening, the "office chase" with Neo talking to Morpheus on the cel, the club scene, the Agents bugging Neo, and Trinity and Co. picking Neo up and removing the bug.

These are not fight scenes, but they are fast-paced and advance the plot quite significantly. On the other hand, Reloaded drops dead for the first 40 minutes and the movie is forced into fast-forward mode for the final 20 minutes to make up for that dead air. To make a Reloaded ****ogy to the first movie, it would be like Morpheus offering Neo the blue and red pills 1.5 hours into The Matrix.

5) Corny Dialogue. Matrix Reloaded contains some of the worst dialogue in a recent big-budget movie. Even the terribly-written Daredevil is a scintillating example of tight dialogue compared to this tripe. Morpheus' Zion Speech is potentially the worst monologue in movie history and is an embarrassment to the fans.

1) That's true with Neo, but definetely not true whenever Morpheus or Trinity are in a fight.

2) I agree, but I don't think it hindered my overall enjoyment of the film

3) Yep, probably added to the confusion of the plot too.

4) True, but u must remember that is only 1/3rd of the film

5) Morpheus's speech did seem kind of artificial.

Well, I was finally able to watch Reloaded durring the nice long holiday weekend. Over all I really enjoyed the movie. Very interesting take on the story and I look forward to learning what happens in the last installment.

I must say that I really liked the first one much better. Maybe because it was unquie and original at the time, and this is a recycle (with improvements) of what went well from the first movie. But rather than write a long extensive review, I will just say that overall I really liked this movie, maybe because I just like the Matrix a lot, and its been the best movie I have been to see at the cinemas this year.

Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3

I forgot to mention that the opening sequence was so obviosly CGI that I thought it was just a trailer for the ETM game (which seemed possible at the time, after all we only had 1 trailer before the movie :rolleyes: ). But that's just a minor complaint.

Yah, I agree. Too much CGI in a movie makes it look stupid, unless it is a CGI movie.

I saw it yesterday. It was a bit too confusing for me, I could have sworn I saw Naiobi (sp?) slumped over her console, dead, but other people say that it was not her, and it was some other ship. The last bit was confusing, where the camera keeps going back and forth to Morpheus explaining his plan, them taking it out, and before the explanation. I had trouble figuring out which was which.

I also thought the ending sucked. One of the things I'm appreciating about ESB is that GL had the strength to resist the temptation of putting, "To be continued" or "concluded" at the end. It makes it seem that much more real, more epic. The cliffhanger majorly sucked where the last line is, "We found one survivor."

Also, what was with the abscence of bullet time! I was waiting to see it every scene, but to no avail. They could have done some awesome things, with Neo fighting people hand-to-hand or with swords while dodging bullets at the same time.

The Twins weren't in it enough, too. Everyone was saying, "OMG! The twins are so awesome!" I'm like, "OMG! They were in the movie for 15 mins! And I could have seen them disappear all I wanted in the trailer!"

But it had its moments, the freeway scene, the Smith clone fight scene, the whole falling down the side of a building, turn around, shoot agents, etc. There was just way too much to process, for me. Like for, example, the architect scene got me so confused. While he was explaining stuff, the camera kept going into different moniters. I'm like, "Is this a different Neo outcome? What about all those other outcomes?" It was basically an outcome within an outcome within an outcome, and while I was trying to sort that out in my head, I nearly completely missed what the Architect was actually saying.

As for Zion being a matrix within a matrix, I'm not sure if that theory works, unless it's like Death_Jedi said. Neo says, "Wait, something's different." Different, like it hadn't been there before. So, something must have changed, and unless Neo and co were somehow diverted from the Zion world to another matrix....I...um.....<brain explodes>

Overall, I'd give it a 7/10. It did not live up to its predecessor, but it was definetely more enjoyable than AOTC. :D

Archived