Home

Old or New

LiMP RABBiT

Do you prefer.....  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer.....

• the original trilogy
    • episodes 1 and 2

I can guess the outcome of this but which do you prefer, the original trilogy or Episodes 1 and 2. For me its definetely the originals. They were far better acted, far more emotive and even though th duels may have been slow you actually could relate to the characters.

Slow? There was so much more power, so much more skill apparent, not just waving about a stick like a ponce (Anakin Skywalker). Bar, the incredible Episode I battle, AOTC just didn't do IT for me. I only saw ESB a year ago or maybe a bit more, but when I saw Vader vs Luke, I was just saying 'YEAH!' you know?

The originals because it didn't have children, there was much more scale, the Millenium Falcon, etc. there's a hell of a lot more.

I have a slightly more neutral standpont than many here- I first saw ep4-6 about a month or so before I saw ep1. But- I'm not sure how that matters :p

Anyway, I say prequels, because of the improved fighting (Battle of Geonosis, Duel of the Fates, Yoda duel), better overall graphics, Padme :D , because we see some really kick-butt jedi, and because Obi-wan looks awesome (at least in ep1).

I don't like to compair them against eachother. I like them all.

I did get a cool idea from the latest SW Insider though. A lot of times a director will have his movies compaired to a similar movie as either better or worse. But Lucas has pushed his movies so far beyond what anyone else is able to do that everyone can only compair his new movies agianst his old movies. He's being measured against himself. Now that's probably the best possitive critical review you can possibly have.

Like others have said, the OT has a much more powerful story and the characters really draw you in. It might also be the fact that many of us saw the movies when we were young, but that's a whole other debate.

The PT movies are a lot more flashy and definitely win in the graphics department over the OT, but don't necessarily match up with them in the story and character development.

However.....

I love them all. :D

At the moment the OT is my favourite, but after seeing episode III my opinion could easily change. From the originals I wasn't a huge fan of ANH, but Empire and ROTJ kicked ass. As for the prequels I wasn't a huge fan of TPM, but I think ATOC rocks. Similar sort of pattern so far.

:fett:

• 2 weeks later...

Ep 1: bad cause of anakin and jarjar (erg)

Ep 2: bad cause of anakin and padme love-scenes and crappy acting

Ep 4: just amazing

Ep 5: bad cause of cronic bordem *dodges punches*

Ep 6: just amazing

No matter how good the effects of NT, it is just utter turd compaired to the originals.

So far, my favorite SW movies are Episode II and Episode V.

The main difference I see between the Prequels and the OT is the scope. The OT is extremely claustrophobic compared to the width and bredth of the events happening in the Prequels. The story of the Prequels are far denser, more multi-layered; the OT is shallow in comparison. The story of the Prequels speaks to me moreso than the OT, just because of the times we're living in. Watching the steps of how a democracy can become a dictatorship is very relevant, in every age where a powerful democracy exists.

Lucas is telling us a cautionary tale based on what he saw happening during the Nixon administration (Mythmaking). Others did the same thing, Orwell, Huxley, Bradbury... they took the events they saw happening in their world, and they wrote a story to show what could happen if we don't wake up. They might not be the most well-written books of all time, or have the best characters, but they are necessary stories.

I don't like to separate the Prequels from the OT. They're chapters in the same book. We just had the misfortune of skipping ahead and seeing the ending first. But I will tell you my favorite chapters: Attack of the Clones, and The Empire Strikes Back.

Archived