Home

Return Of Force-destruct

lllKyNeSlll

Destruct would be an awesome power, but should be a power that takes a lot of points.

Unleash a ball of energy with no splash damage, just one, hard to aim destructive force that does 90 health damage. But not only does it drain force power, it doesn't recharge for a good twenty or so seconds.

Hell yes bring it back.

It makes a nice philosophical compliment to the Absorb power and ethos of the lightside.

Plus, there was nothing quite like nailing someone with a similatenous conc and destruct blast.

Forget JO, this gets me in the mood for some JK again.

Canyon O wasn't my kind of level, actually.

I still found nailing peeps with that combo to be effective in larger levels. And even it wasn't effective it was still fun to use.

It is good imo to have an offensive power like Destruct that is very powerful, yet very costly in mana and can be difficult at times to employ effectively (like over long distances). It appeals to the gambler in me; there's a lot of mana at risk when destruct is used by if you connect the payoff is also high.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe they need some sort of Reflect power... it would only work for a few seconds and would drain a fair amount of mana, but it would sent the attack (lightning, drain, grip and especially destruct) back at the caster. Different levels might cover a wider arc infront of you.

I still think a Force Sever, a Force Taint and a Meditation Power would be good for Lightsiders.

i agree that a force reflect would solve many imbalances to the game between light and dark and also allow for the return of force destruction (which i believe should be an extreme gambling style move). tho a fair "reflect" would have a second down time between absorbing and reflecting. it would be cool 2 be like our green lil pointy eared jedi master :p:D

Destruction would be a welcome addition to the Jedi arsenal.

It was perfectly fine in JK/MotS I thought.

In order to balance it, just make it use a lot of force points and mana.

Destruction is basically a "Force Missile" that uses fire instead of electricity (like dark side lightning).

The way it worked in JK/MotS was that you had to "aim" a big energy ball (basically a beach ball trailing red dust, hehe) at your enemy. This is a power that exists in the EU so don't fret over the officialness.

Basically absorb would counter the direct damage from the power (which had a slight bit of "splash" damage from the red dust from the explosion.. it was also possible at full speed to run into your own Destruction blast.. but that probably won't happen in Jedi Academy since you run so slowly).

However with the damage countered, it could still knock you back (sort of like a Push). So you had to watch out for that. I believe Protection also diverted the damage to your Protect Bubble but again you could be "pushed" off a cliff or into a wall.

This wouldn't mean the power would make Push or Pull irrelevant. We already had Grip, which did damage and also had a "pushing" effect to it. I hope it appears in the game... but that's up to Raven I guess. ; )

as long as absorb could at least lower the damage (depending on the level maybe?) then i wouldn't mind. i never played JK (must buy that some day).

just so long as you don't have team FFA where the entire strategy becomes "have the team keep the enemies busy while one guy charges force destruct from a distance"

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Destruct making it into the game if Reflect makes it as well.

Both should have a cool down (Force won't recharge but you are otherwise free to use other powers) the length of which depends on what Destruct/Reflect level you are on.

Destruct should appear as a ball that gradually increases in size in your outstretched palm as you charge it. It should charge 10 damage points and take 10 Force points per second. Splash damage should be 1/3 the damage within a 1 metre radius.

If you combo Destruct + Push you get an additional Push (whatever level your Push is on) on anyone within 1 metre of the impact radius at the expense of only doing half the damage for the same Force cost.

The Destruct ball should travel a little bit (not much) faster than a rocket. And the Jedi should be vulnerable to damage but still able to run while charging.

Reflect should use 1/3 you Force pool, and create a 90 degree arc in front of you that lasts for 1-3 seconds depending on the level you are on. Any Force attacks (Light or Dark) that strike the arc will be returned in the exact direction of the attacker, possibly with 2/3 damage and duration. Higher Reflect levels will give you an additional 180 degree arc in front of you that simply reflects Force attacks away (not necessarily back to the attacker).

They should really make it come back... It was a great addition to the dark-side arsenal except it was kind of unrealistic because the splash damage is so large. I remember in MotS I'd fire one of the force destruction quite far away from some pirates and they'd die... Looked a bit weird.

yeah i hope for an expansion pack to come out with maybe some new missions and have 2 new powers

Light - Reflect

Dark - Destruction

tho if i had to prioritise one i'd have to say reflect... tho destruction is awesome, the lightside really needs a new power to restore balance so it can be useful in the dueling arena, where honour matters and not only useful for just grabbing silly flags lol :p

i would love to see both of these powers! i hope they do bring out an expansion with those to powers :D

I wouldn't mind at all if Destruction came back. In order to keep it balanced, they could do what the SBX 3.1 mod did. If you shot Destruction too close, the splash damage would hurt you as well as your opponent's. It would be really great if it was in SP. I miss blasting stormies with Destruction. About Jerec's use of Force Destruction, I think he used it in the cutscenes. It can be explained.

*With Rahn... when Jerec fired Destruction, it could have been a fatal hit. Rhan's look of disbelief/resignation on his face when he falls to his knees in the cutscene could suggest that he realizes that he's dying. Jerec decides to add insult to injury by beheading him.

*with Kyle... I'm not sure, but it was either Push or Destruction. If Jerec used Push, that would explain why Kyle flew back. But that doesn't really explain why the catwalk was severed. If Jerec used Destruction, he could have missed. The splash damage would still reach Kyle, throwing him back, but the Destruction could have destroyed the catwalk. I dunno, that's just my thoughts on the cutscenes.

This is a bit off topic, but I hope that the final boss in JA is a bit more like Jerec and less like Desann. Jerec was a tough opponent, but he wasn't hit-or-miss like Desann is. Jerec used lightning at close range, but he mainly fought you with the saber. It was only if you ran away that he unleashed Destruction on you. It was a good way to keep things up close and personal and emphasized saber skill more than Force mastery. (which was essential, given all the different possible Force combinations the player might have) Desann, on the other hand, relies too much on Force powers and not enough on the saber. What's worse, his Force attacks can't be countered. It makes the fight seem too random. I've died within seconds of fighting him. (like if he chokes me and slams me into a wall or chokes me and then blasts me with lightning.) There have also been instances where he dies too quickly. (I turn on Force Speed and give him a few good whacks with the strong style) I hope the final boss in JA is more the swashbuckling Jerec type than the Force-laming Desann type.

Agreed, fighting Desann SUX0R3D! I was jus fighting him the other day (without using the invincible beam thing or force speed) and the only way I stayed alive was using the various powerups scattered around.Hopefully, Force Absorb will help the Jedi attack the Sith (there will be SP absorb, no?).

Also, what was really great about JK duels was the blocking. You could stand in front of Dark Jedi X and *block block counter block block counter*. In JO SP, I always felt like I had to attack, because neither Desann nor Tavion cold be reliably blocked.

it was the Speed or Random death in single player saber fights that bugged me the most about JO. Half the time when i lost OR WON it seemed more to do with luck than judgement. Maybe i just wasn't very good.

I would have liked at least ONE all new power, but i'd be happier if there were better ways to USE them within the levels.

While Jerec DOES use destruction in the cutscenes of JK1 (for example when Kyle rejects his offer to join him), the move he used on Rahn didn't seem like any of the Force powers in the game, rather it seems more like Level 1 Grip in JK2 (immobilize without real damage).

It's very likely that Rahn was already in a weakened state (notice the dead pilot who was apparently badly beaten earlier), and he used the last of his strength in a desperate move to kill Jerec (which failed since the other Jedi leaped to protect their master, though he did succeed in almost killing Maw). The move rather than levitating him, immobilized him and forced him to his knees, to set him up for the coup de grace.

i think its kinda silly how they haven't introduced new force powers. it will be ok SP but MP will still have the silly imbalances that its always had in this game, and i think can put money on that they haven't improved the lightside so that it can be atleast somewhat useful in duels..... we reeeaaally needed that reflect :(, i just hope they make an expansion giving us reflect and destruction (which should be tonned down so that it is seldom used so we don't end up with "destruction spammers" in place of lightning spammers lol)

I never really played JK much, only the demo in MP vs my little brother. I really enjoyed blasting him of the catwalks with destruction...

Anyway I feel you are right, bring in reflect and destruction. If they're made in a good fashio they'll enhance gameplay a lot.

Just imagine firing a ball of fire on that poor only-using-guns sod (my friends friend does that... It's sad to see him kill himself when you run towards him with your lightsaber).

Or even better, let those lightning-spammers eat their own electrocuting death.

I'd love this...

Originally posted by Thazac

I never really played JK much, only the demo in MP vs my little brother. I really enjoyed blasting him of the catwalks with destruction...

Anyway I feel you are right, bring in reflect and destruction. If they're made in a good fashio they'll enhance gameplay a lot.

Just imagine firing a ball of fire on that poor only-using-guns sod (my friends friend does that... It's sad to see him kill himself when you run towards him with your lightsaber).

Or even better, let those lightning-spammers eat their own electrocuting death.

I'd love this...

*grins and nods sadistically at all the above comments* :p

Archived