Home

A nice way to save the Monkey Island series

Guybrush tellin t story could be used to explain alot of things, such as the simplicity of méléé island.

Also could someone explain to me how HT got stranded on MI, esaped to Méléé (where elain didnt notice/recognise him, buy a ship with his friend, sail back to MI, get stranded after his ship is stolen by monkeys (who sell it to Stan) AND still have a ship for you to borrow at the end of SMI.

Finaly (soz if im going on a bit) wouldnt guybrush skip over the bit where he leaves caarla & co stranded on MI if he was tellin it to his kids.

A couple of days ago i thought I would play emi 4 again, dont ask me why (not nearly as good as 1 and 2) but I was bored, after that I thought I might as well work through all the games again from the begining, after just completely MI1 I notice another very big problem on lucasgames part, the boat which you travelled on belonged to herman yes, and the guy he travelled with, so how does he manage to get stranded by some random austrialian when he infact came in search of the secret with his captain under the name herman, for it was him who made the potion that bought them to the island, this very much confses me? makes no sense, and the whole grandpa marley thing was a bad way of tying up loose ends. If you asked a rep of lucas, they would prob either say "Kid bugger off" or "VOODOO" so you wont get much help there, also in EMI itself a huge stone monkey head sudenly changes shap inot what looks like metal, what the hell. Sort yourselves out lucasarts.

I'm sure Monkey Island makers know by now the *ahem* disappointment of fans reguarding both HT Marley and the whole Giant Monkey Head. I mean, Mr. Lucas knew about how so many Star Wars fans loathed Jar Jar in The Phantom Menace, and so he toned him down in Attack of the Clones. With one problem: I actually found him even MORE annoying in AotC. I didn't mind him quite so much on ep1, but I altogether disliked ep2. But that's beside the point.

Or is it? I just hope that with all the raving going on about the Monkey Head and Herman that they won't blow it up into something worse. Making Jar-Jar responsible for the emperor coming to power (along with some other beefs I have with ep2) blew the Star Wars experience for me. I actually considered myself a Star Wars fan up until they made Episode 2.

I just hope lucasarts does not (in an attempt to redeem itself) completely blow up Monkey Island for me the way Star Wars was blown up for me.

Well, you could look at it this way. Jar Jar may have been partially responsible for the Emperor's rise to power, but even if he hadn't been around to be manipulated into voting as he did, they would have suckered someone else into doing it, I'm sure.

And it DID give people an excuse to hate Jar Jar, I guess. But I do see your point. Anyway, yes, back on topic...

As for Monkey Island, there is no way they will go back and "fix" the end of EMI. It's not considered very professional, and it's not something LucasArts would do, I'm pretty sure. They will build on what they have and possibly try to think of a way to interpret events as they happened, rather than "Oh wait, no, this is the way it REALLY happened..."

And then there is something else to consider. Regardless of what the fans think, the people at LucasArts may believe that EMI was just fine how it was, and they may see no reason whatsoever to change things. It's all very well and good to listen to fans' suggestions, but they're not going to backtrack. As an author, I know that sometimes pride really gets in the way of ever changing or revising your work, and anyway, in the end it is YOUR work. You listen to others' suggestions, but you go with your gut and do what you think works.

• 4 weeks later...

Elaine walks into the Booty Island town , but at the moment it is the bigwhoop theme park at the end of MI2 ,and finds Guybrush lying down, asleep. She tells him to wake up, then shuves him untill he is upright in the amusement park. Suddenly everything morphs back into the Booty town setting.

Elaine: Guybrush, now's not the time to be sleeping! I thought that LeChuck might have you!

Guybrush: All I can remember is a dark, large figure over me and then LeChuck was gone, and I must have been sleeping.

!!!SCREAM!!!

Voodoo woman comes over to Elaine and Guybrush, soon followed by Wally

Voodoo woman: Guybrush, I see that my spell protected you from LeChuck. He was planning to take you to Monkey Island.

Guybrush: What?!?!?

Wally:Well Mr.Brush, it seems that the map you gave me was nothing to do with BigWhoop, it seems that BigWhoop was another name for Monkey Island. LeChuck has charted a course there we believe.

Elaine: So you have been asleep Guybrush!

Guybrush: Um, yes?

Voodoo woman: LeChuck is planning a mass capture of Monkeys!!!

PAUSE

all characters look straight at the screen and open their mouths in awe-

----TITLE SCREEN----

Monkey Island 5 - The Great Rescue

(of Monkeys)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please comment on my idea please.

I guess we all should have expected a huge bypass of MI3 and 4 from you, but that wasn't actually too bad. Only thing is that I really don't think Guybrush cares too much about monkeys to save them all, and what personal gain would there be to LeChuck for capturing all the monkeys. And finally, whilst it would be nice, I really don't think the folks at LEC would like to completely forget all the happenings of MI3 and 4. But I'll let you dream.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Monkey Island 4 should be burned, it is EVIL!!!

As for the rest of the series I really like them a lot, even part 3 which some of you think is bad.

But I think Rapp has made a pretty good point, because I think MI4 was way to technically advanced, come on a grog machine is funny. A micro groggery is pushing it, and a planet threepwood is totally off-course!

The ending really sucked in part 4, and I want Herman Toothrot back the way he was. He was really funny in part 1/2. In part 4 after he got his memory back, he was a real prick!

The explanation of Rapp may also be a good point in the fact that Elaine suddenly hasn't got her accent anymore. Because Guybrush is telling the story. I really hope they bring back the dark atmosphere that MI2 had. That game is the best ever!!!

• 1 month later...

I dont mean to blow my own horn or anything but I think I came up with a good theory about how the Toothrot/Marley thing can work.

Go to my site

http://thanet1.tripod.com

In the MI section theres a page called mysteries solved. Its in there.

As for the Monkey Robot, that wasnt there in CMI either. If you remember, the head was part of LeChucks Big Whoop ride. So the robot would have been put there after the park.

Is it possible that LeChucks destruction of the theme park could have been a cover for him actually hiding his monkey robot there?

Originally posted by Sharptooth

You know, sometimes I wish I would wake up and MI4 was a dream. Lets just hope Lucasarts come up with a great way to make us forget about all the worst bits of MI4

And I think my friend feels the same way! I don't, but I know many feels that way. I'm not a big fan of mi4, but i don't hate it.

And I know someone like it. That's the reason I came up with this story. In that way the things in mi4 will have happened, it's not just a dream. That would just be silly (But my friend hopes that the start of mi5 is that mi4 was just a dream). If you find a better way of fixing up the irritating things in mi4 without it being a dream, go ahead, post it. This was the best way I could find, and I, myself, wouldn't mind if exactly that happened at the start of mi5 (Except that i'm not sure about the kids. But he has to tell the story to someone.)

And the Herman thing? Don't know. The best thing I can think of right now is that there is that the original Herman and a friend comes to monkey island. Herman disappears and the friend finds a person looking exactly like herman (Horacio) on the beach. Friend thinks Herman has lost his memory, and tells him that he is Herman Toothroot.

The best thing about this theory is THAT HERMAN TOOTHROOT IS STILL OUT THERE SOMEWHERE.

-Rapp Scallion

You see, this is why CMI succeeds...because it has its own separated story with its own characters, and it works with the other MI games. It didn't spend the entire game trying to explain the unexplainable ending of MI2, but rather wrapped up some things in the spider monkey episode. EMI just blew it.

That is so true!

Monkey Island 3 is better because it has it's own storyline with it's own characters! Lucasarts should just admit this and make a whole new Monkey4.

I'm actually glad Full Throttle 2 is cancelled, because it ws gonna suck just as bad. At least Lucasarts learns from it's mistakes.

Archived