Home

Best looking MI game

Gabez

What's the best looking MI game!? :)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best looking MI game!? :)

• SOMI - Ooh, look at those colours!
    • Mi2 - Scanned art related fun!
    • CMI - I lurve Bill Tiller!
    • EMI - 3D is fun!

I like CMI the best too. The animations, characters, and backgrounds were hilarious. The only stuff I'd change would be Guybrush's height. Yeah, I know it supposed to be cartoony and all, but I always though of him as a puny sort of fellow. And Elaine should have been prettier.

Yeah, I actually didn't think the CMI Guybrush was too hot... but the overall style and especially the background art beat everything else.

That's not to say that I don't like the graphics in the first two games too - just look at this high res scan. Hell, I even liked the graphics in EMI!

Yeah, I also liked the art on Monkey Island itself - really bright and lively.

And yes, that is Captain Dread's ship from Monkey Island 2. I didn't do that, though. Basically all the backgrounds for MI 2 were hand painted, then scanned in at a low resolution to fit into the game. As part of their 20th year anniversary, LucasArts rescanned some of their old art - you can see them in the art allery here.

The ones from Monkey Island 2 are:

http://www.lucasarts.com/20th/images/concepts/18.jpg

http://www.lucasarts.com/20th/images/concepts/8.jpg

and http://www.lucasarts.com/20th/images/concepts/3.jpg

Makes you wish they would redo the game with higher res backgrounds, doesn't it? :)

It's also interesting to see that no one likes EMI's graphics. ;~ Although I'm not really surprised. ;-

Despite CMI looking a 'little' Disney-fied, I love Bill Tiller's artwork.

His scenes and characters are top notch. Good colouring and animation. You just want to walk around the island viewing all the wonderful scenes. I especially like the Skull Island Intro.

I always have to toss up between the LeChuck's Revenge Guybrush and the CMI Guybrush, and I always keep coming back to CMI. He looks more charismatic.

"Running over the same old ground, what have you found?

Same old fears, Wish You Were Here."

Though MI3 was colorful and festive, I can not say that I enjoyed its graphics the most. Through lack of ambition, I have never been able to play the first MI1, but the fully colored CD version. This takes the cake for me, with its brilliant landscapes and loveable pixles.

Yes I think No.3 was the best also.

I dont think you can compare monkey 1 & 2 to the later ones as they were made over a decade ago and technology has moved on alot.

In my opinion the "scurvy inducing 3D" in escape from monkey island did not do it any favours. I personally dont think 3d is suited to roleplay/adventure games only action and war. Its like Indiana Jones when that went from the old ones such as Indiana Jones and the last crusade straight into 3d in the infernal machine it really spoilt the gameplay. It was more like tomb raider than Indy. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Archived