Home

Some new Broken Sword:TSD PC screens

04s.jpg 03s.jpg 05s.jpg

Click for large.

Broken Sword Exclusives

5 exclusive images from The Adventure Company's upcoming PC title.

Monday July 7, 2003

Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon is all set to be published by The Adventure Company here in the U.S. Developed by Revolution Software, this latest in the popular Broken Sword series seems to be shaping rather nicely. Check our exclusive PC images below. The game is also coming to next-gen consoles.

A couple more screens here (Gamespy).

Trep (can I call you Trep?), I can't believe you didn't choose to showcase the spectacularly rendered recycling bins!

Seriously, I saw these earlier today and every time I see screens of this game, I want it more. I find especially intriguing the shots where George and Nico are in the same screen. Like the first one you show, where it looks like Nico is distracting a guard while George sneaks in? I wonder if you get to switch back and forth between the two to make things like that happen. That would be kind of cool, where part of the puzzle-solving is choosing your character wisely.

[/ramble]

Originally posted by amishler

Trep (can I call you Trep?), I can't believe you didn't choose to showcase the spectacularly rendered recycling bins!

(Everyone calls me Trep; Homoludens is a second name)

I thought about using the bins shot, but in using the thumbnail as an image link the detail was severely compromised; you can see that they're bins, but you can't appreciate how well they're rendered by looking at the thumbnail.

Originally posted by amishler

Seriously, I saw these earlier today and every time I see screens of this game, I want it more. I find especially intriguing the shots where George and Nico are in the same screen. Like the first one you show, where it looks like Nico is distracting a guard while George sneaks in? I wonder if you get to switch back and forth between the two to make things like that happen. That would be kind of cool, where part of the puzzle-solving is choosing your character wisely.[/ramble]

If you were able to switch between George and Nico during critically timed moments, that would add a bit of strategy requisite to the game, and I'm not sure how the 'adventure purists' would take it. I personally wouldn't have a problem at all; The Watchmaker implemented it, though only ultimately on a superficial level.

Originally posted by poodlehat

Is Broken Sword 3 gonna be like Resident evil? Or isit all 3D modelled. Resident evil style 3D sucks!

No, think Silent Hill 3D where the camera hovers around the characters and the entire world moves in real time. If you're still confused, you can download an in-game movie from Gamer's Hell or another site.

Originally posted by Moosferatu

Excellent new preview on Gamespot. Looking good Diamond!;)

You beat me to it by mere minutes, Moos! And it is a very good preview, with lots of promising details.

Animations have been implemented for the solutions to a number of the object-based puzzles in the game, and you'll also be treated to an animation of some description if you attempt to use the wrong object in a given location, rather than just being told by George that he doesn't think it'll work or being made aware by some other, equally frustrating device that you're wrong....

These kinds of error animations will, according to Cecil, be included for any such situations that he considers to be logical and justifiable attempts at solving a puzzle, but if you attempt something as ridiculous as trying to put out a fire with a bottle opener, you can expect George to merely shrug his shoulders.

George's facial animation is now extremely impressive, and in the areas that his voice had been implemented it was great to see that the lip-syncing held up just as well as his seemingly limitless facial expressions.
And they clear up the character control question:

In instances where both of the central characters are present, you will always have direct control of George but will also be able to have Nico perform various actions by using her in much the same way you would use an object.
My feminine side thinks the previewer could have phrased that a little better, but my chauvinist side is thinking, "Mmm... use and objectify Nico." And the AGer in me steers clear of gender issues entirely, thinking that this is a good compromise a la Sam and Max Hit the Road. When it comes down to it, though, all of my personalities are really looking forward to this game.

Okay, Moos, since you were too stingy to provide the link...... menacegrin.gif ...... allow me the honour: link.

0002.jpg 0004.jpg

Any adventure gamer who insists that modern adventures games shouldn't

rely too much on modern graphics needs to have their head

examined - before I kick it in for them, heh heh. Click for large.

At no point in the game will you be allowed to control the camera yourself, and, while on occasion you might want to look around a little more than the fixed camera allows, we're pleased to report that from what we've seen, the camera will never be something that you feel you have to work against. In fact, most of the camera angles in the game appear to do a very good job of combining interesting and varied visuals with functionality, ensuring that any changes aren't so dramatic that you suddenly find yourself running in the wrong direction.

Originally posted by Moosferatu

Finally!

And you thought you'd be off your game this summer. Psshh.

I like the idea that "the challenge in the Broken Sword games should be in working out what you have to do rather than in actually doing it." I don't think this will necessarily make it an easier game, just a little more accessible, both to twitchy-fingered gamers and more cerebral ones. Too soon to tell, I guess, but until I have reason to think otherwise, BS:TSD gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

(By the way, Moos, do you have your Xbox yet? And if so, have you picked up any games?)

Oh, and considering how good the game seems to look on all three platforms (Xbox, PS2, PC), and how well it seems to perform accordingly (at least to Gamespot, who are very keen on the technical aspects of any game), this prompts the question:

Okay, everyone!! Which platform version of Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon will you be procuring?

I'm am absolutely getting the PC version. \o/

Normally, I would get the PC version, but this is looking like it's going to exceed the limitations of my 3-year-old machine, so unless I'm way off or I win the lottery in the next few months, probably the Xbox version. I'm not sure something that pretty deserves to be stuck on a 17" screen anyway.

Intrepid, Amishler linked to the article before you. His "it" was a hyperlink.

Amishler, I have yet to get my XBOX. I am going to wait to get it just before I go back to Hungary. It isn't like it would do me any good to get it now. My Grandparents don't have a TV up north. As far as games go... I have a list of games that I would like to get, but I only think that I will get three games this time. I will then leave some money with my brother to buy and send me a couple games like BS3 and Beyond Good & Evil. I am thinking about getting now KotOR (ok I am getting it), Rayman 3 (I like platformers), and Oddworld. If you have any suggestions, feel free to make them.

I will be getting the XBOX version of BS3, because (like Amishler) it will not run on my computer.

My computer's fast enough, and my monitor's pretty enough, but I'll probably go console (Xbox--best graphics, and I love the S controller). 1)I don't have a game controller for my PC (I know--basing a $50 purchase on a $10 controller..), and the controls were optimised for such. 2)I'm liking more and more the ability to sit back and stare at the TV while playing games :p.

(Downside is I won't be able to loan it to adventure-friendly friends who don't have Xboxen.)

I'm also going to buy the PC version, because I don't own a PS2 or an XBOX and it should run on my 3-year-old PC (it was top of the line when I bought it :) )...

...and it has an 19" screen! :D

I'll probably get the PC version first, and then when the price drops, the PS2 version - just to have another of the relatively few console adventure games that get released; and also to note the differences.

::edit:: Although....I wonder if my onboard 16 meg. (barely) graphics card is enough to handle it. Anyone have an idea of what the specs (hint --Steve-- hint) are/will be?

Archived