Home

Which gaming cliche do you hate most?

C Shutt

Which gaming cliche is worse?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which gaming cliche is worse?

• Sewer levels
    • Crates, bastard crates

Crates. Totally. I mean, I'm pretty sure that sewers exist, and wading around in them seems like an acceptable way to behave, say, when you've just bombed a cafe in a clown suit and need to make a hasty escape.

But I can't think of an interesting situation where a series of huge crates are temporarily blocking the path. Crates that are clearly far too heavy to lift and hurl out of the way, instead requiring you to push and pull them accordingly, allowing the stacked crates to fall neatly to the ground and enabling you to create a neat little path. Nor have I ever heard of small first aid kits being stored in massive, sealed crates.

Originally posted by Carl Shutt

A word in your ear, we're used to a far higher standard of trolling here. If this is your best stuff, you shouldn't even bother.

I am already shameful sitting in the dark.. And i was trying to say.. your thread is topicer than mine .. you know. i am able to joke on myself!

TO THE TOPIC!!

I've never played Deus Ex ..

But i have nothing against sewer levels and crates generously.. in the particular case it depends on the 'usage' of these items..!

Crates, it's already agreed on.

I'm currently playing Morrowind with the first add-on Tribunal and have a really well equipped Orc. Nevertheless I have to look into every crate and chest and basket and stone chest and sack and... to make sure I don't miss a good item like an index or adamantium ore.

Not to defend crates, but I feel that sewer levels are getting off lightly in this thread. Crates, as obvious a sign of creative bankruptcy as they are, at least serve a purpose. Whereas every single (American) game features a sewer level, despite the fact that there has never been a sewer level that is any kind of fun to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with crates here, in the sense that I'm against sewer levels.

First of all, sewers are scary. They have these rats that jump up and bite you. Eek.

Secondly, it's actually crates that are justified. If you say that crates block your way and clog up your screen, if you say you have to check each and every one for some item or powerup you might need, if you say some evil mastermind must've planted them there - well there you go, the bad guy planted the crates there. Whether he's an alien, a mobster or some other supervillain, he clearly has the resources to mount such an operation. On the other hand, sewers? Nah, they were there all along, that's lazy level design right there. That's plain convenient.

• 1 month later...

Hello you idiots :) Right... crates. If there's anything worse than crates it's inconsistency in the destructability of crates. You're going along bashing all the crates to find items and then you hit an indestructable one wasting valuable er... bashing time. Or you don't hit the one bloody destructable one in the level and you miss a key, don't finish the level, so you get frustrated , push your computer out of the window, go on a killing spree, get arrested tried and convicted. Then they've run out of prison cells so they shove you in a crate. A bloody crate! AGH!

Archived