Home

A few suggestions

Yufster

Okay, here is a serious suggestion: post a new 'spam guideline' thread and make it sticky in the Harbor. :)

The whole reason why I pushed the closure apppeal issue was because I wanted to see better interaction between the moderators and members on the forum. Threads were getting closed with little explanation, and I wanted to demonstrate to the members that they could initiate a dialogue themselves. Now...that dialogue may have been slow in coming, but it's going on now, and I appreciate it. All we needed was more open feedback on what exactly the policies on 'spam' were in the Harbor.

This is why I suggest a sticky thread. If newbies don't read it, then close off their topics. :max: What do you guys think?

I wanted to post my opinion on this, so here it is:

I have been here for about two months. I know of the long, loooooong times many of the other users have/had been here, and I feel really, really bad for driving them away, as well as the new and prospective users of the MI Discussion Forum.

Lately, I had been having way too much fun with those lovable rough-and-tumble boys in the Harbor. And so I didn't really stop to think whether it was decent or not because there wasn't really anything else going on and I was bored. At any rate, I was a little upset when the mods started closing threads, because I didn't want to think I had been doing anything wrong. But now I see that they are right and what I'd been contributing actively to was retarded and pointless and stupid and all that.

I hate how sometimes I'm just exactly like a spoiled little kid and have to be shown what I'm doing wrong. I realize that I have many, many faults, (including but not limited to) vicious flirting, murder, being stupid, scary, shallow, vapid, bitchy, and posting numerous little chatty posts and all of these at once.

(I have also a couple of good qualities, among them my fervent adoration of Monkey Island. I kneel humbly before its shrine, hardly daring to raise mine sullied eyes to its splendid glory.)

So in conclusion:

I will try to be good. The Harbor doesn't really have to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy, does it? Whatever the good old times were like, (I have no clue,) let's bring them back through sheer force!

I like Zoom's sticky thread idea. Just post some guidelines and then count on the examples of the other posters, who should, by now, know what is what. Or you could try that without the sticky thread. Whatever. I'm in a fit of submissive optimism right now. :D

One more thing: I think the mods are doing a good job now. Like loving parents, sort of. Except Neil. I love you, Neil. ;)

Well, I wasn't wrong. The Harbor's old policy (as discussed in the moderation feedback thread that's sticky in this forum) clearly gave the impression that just about any topic would fly. The policy changed. :dozey:

I will admit to being a big, fat spammer. :D Yes, I will!

Originally posted by Neil Joshi

Am I wrong in thinking that Captain Andy was one of the first to admit that they were wrong. And yes, I think a spam sticky would be a good idea. Worth further discussion anyway.

I haven't posted anything that I wouldn't have posted in the past. You can't just let people post whatever they want and then 6months later turn around and say it's spam. That's what I'm finding irritating. The mods are sitting around going on about the spam when the forums first merged, but you guys hardly did a thing (I know this doesn't apply to Neil since he wasn't a mod back then) about the spam, and now that it's out of control, you guys wanna sit around and punish those who know no better because you didn't teach them about the good/bad spamming to begin with?

If you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners corrupted from infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded, sire, but that you first make thieves and then punish them?

You guys make spammers and then punish them. That's what I'm trying to say with the above quote.

Placing blame isnt going to alleviate the situation although I am tempted to suggest that you should practice what you preach.

No-one is being punished, the spam has been cleaned up, the forums have improved, be happy.

Archived