Home

Do You Want the DF MOD ported over to Jedi Academy rather than JO?

The Count

Do you want the DF MOD ported to JA  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the DF MOD ported to JA

• Yes
    • No (Give Reasons)

I hate to break up the party, but it seems we need to spell this out for the benefit of some people:

a) With the current MOD support for JO, the DF MOD cannot be completed for it - at least not in the way you would like. If it ever emerged on the JO engine, it would likely be nothing more than a glorified map pack.

b) It is looking highly likely that JA will feature far superior MOD support than JO - along the lines of the SOF2 support. This kind of support would mean we would likely complete the MOD the way we intend.

If that is the case, and I'm telling you about 80% certain here, we will move to JA.

If you still can't follow that, here is an even simpler version:

The way things stand at the moment;

DF MOD cannot be completed for JO.

DF MOD probably can be completed for JA.

This is not a case of whether you would prefer it on JO or JA - it is simply a case of which platform we can actually make the MOD for. And at the moment it is looking like JA.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ravensroke

That is UNLESS LEC and Raven finally decide to realease the SP SDK.

Considering that all the SP code is in jk2gamex86.dll, and giving us the source code for that would result in them having to give our portions of id's engine code, it won't happen.

Well, if the mod can only be completed with JA, then that's the way it is. It irks me, since I wasn't intending on buying JA, but if I want this mod then I have to. Bleh...

Personally, I didn't really want JA. While the saber system is definitely fun, it wasn't quite as fun as JK. JK's saber system sucked for saber combat, but they didn't have the saber overpowered—most of the time, it was more convenient to use guns, since the saber hadn't been given omnipotent qualities, so it preserved some of the charm of the old Dark Forces, while adding in that new Jedi touch. The Force powers were better, since it wasn't such an inconvenience to use them, but I think the saber had too much power. It makes me wonder why they bothered including guns in the first place, since you only use them in the first few missions before you get the saber.

But, if the mod can only be completed with JA, then it can only be completed in JA.

I voted no because it would be pointless to throw away all that work in JO, and as a previous post said, JA has thrown ALOT of work into Lightsabers and less into guns. Also I point out the Mac issues.

Besides, once it's done, it can be ported to JA easily. Finish it on JO.

I voted no because it would be pointless to throw away all that work in JO, and as a previous post said, JA has thrown ALOT of work into Lightsabers and less into guns. Also I point out the Mac issues.

Did you even read The One's post? It cannot be finished on JO. And any work that is made in JO will not be thrown away as they will be able to use it all in JA. There, end of discussion.

Please, don't panic! :o

Before we can decide of porting the DFMOD to JA or continue working straight ahead with the JA engine,

JA and the JA editing tools MUST BE RELEASED!!!

Until then, we're working with what we have, and it's JO.

From our experience with JO and what we hear from JA, through Raven press releases or posts in the forums, it's most likely we will finish the DFMOD with JA, but it's not 100% certain.

And please remember, we started DFMOD as a SINGLE PLAYER MOD but had to use MP code exactly because of one reason: there is until now no JO SP SDK available!

We simply expect the JA SDK will help to do everything we want, whatever it will be SP or MP SDK.

Hey guys, I look at it this way. This game rules right? I am just happy that someone is doing it period. Jedi Academy I think will be good also. Think of it as getting 2 games if not more (Jedi Knight mod) for the price of one. I played through the dark forces demo and was completely amazed except the biggest letdown was not being able to proceed to the next level. If Jedi Academy SDK is all that, than I don't suspect we will have to wait as long as we have had to with JO. Just be happy its gotten this far with JO and with any luck we will play the whole thing beginning to end in the near future. I don't care how it gets done has long as it gets done. The demo is "proof of concept" and hopefully JA SDK will see the concept to full fruition.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Magic_Al`s DF

If there are no technical advantages I vote no because there's no Mac version of Jedi Academy even announced yet, so not doing it for JO would risk delaying or preventing the mod's availability on the Mac. If the mod is completed for JO it will likely get ported to JA anyway, but the reverse is less likely. Therefore completing it for JO will ensure its ultimate playability for the maximum number of fans.

Well, Jedi Outcast was never announced for the Mac either, but it was eventually ported over. So I vote yes for the Port over to Jedi Academy since it will allow better Icarus Scripting and GHOUL2 collision plus better compability for what the DF team is wanting to do.

Archived