Lil Killa

Hello everyone got my lates map here and I need some opinions:D

Shot 1

shot 2

shot 3

shot 4

shot 5

Feel free to add your comment/suggestions on my map:D

Also I am unshure as to what I should call it. It is a the sequal to my only duel map entiteled "Twisted" so I was thinking Twisted 2.0 might be a nice name, but I have a few more like FFA Twisted or T2. Anyone got any suggestions?

Is this a FFA map? It still looks very duel-sized. Can you build some more platforms, perhaps vertically? You know, make some of those twisted columns vertically symmetrical (ie, not come to points at the top) so they can support another level of twisty platforms, which would allow a lot more jumping/leaping/climbing/falling and give you a lot more play space.

Thx for the comments everyone:D

@TL I had some ppl say my textures looked a bland in my first map I made and I'll see about mybe incorperating some more textures.

@ Wedge the map is really acually bigger than it looks. I will try to add more but I'm trying to watch my fps. This map is 90% patches and I'm having a bitof truble keeping the fps at 70

BTW I have heard of R-speeds and was wondering how to see them and what the ideal number should be

Thx and keep the comments comming.

EDIT:

Where should I add the extra platforms? Above or below? I was thnking below...

Also the greay bridges with the glass strip in them... Should I flar out tyhe bottom of the glass to match the grey part? I have had someone tell me it looked funny but I thought it looked funny like it is right now..

Devmap your map, then (in console) do: toggle r_speeds. You'll see a ton of numbers, like this:

48/104 shaders/surfs 46 leafs 2126 verts 1659/2211 tris 0.00 mtex 0.00 dc

The bold, underlined one is the one you're interested in (it isn't bold and underlined in quake--I just boldened it and underlined it for emphasis here). There is no real "magic number" for r_speeds, but if that number (the one you're interested in) starts climbing over 10,000-12,000, you might think about re-structuring your map for better VIS, because players with less-than-bleeding-edge openGL boards may find your map approaching unplayability. At least, that was the old adage for "Quake III: Arena" mapping... since JK2 is basically "Quake III: Team Arena" in a Stormtrooper's clothing, it probably still holds at least a little truth.

Originally posted by Lil Killa

@ Wedge the map is really acually bigger than it looks. I will try to add more but I'm trying to watch my fps. This map is 90% patches and I'm having a bitof truble keeping the fps at 70

It looks just like that one platform with 4 extensions to me...Unless the images show different areas. Your map :)

And dude, if you're FPS is 70...don't worry. Worry when it dips below 40. The highest FPS that the human eye can detect is 24, so anything greater than that will look smooth to gamers. Still, you want to give players some leeway for bots, lag, etc.

Where should I add the extra platforms? Above or below? I was thnking below...

Well, it doesn't really matter. Either way you have two layers, one on top of the other, right? "Top" and "bottom" become entirely relative.

Hey there, this is really a pretty original design! Almost looks like a good Quake III alternate theme.

Are you using patch meshes for the twisted curves or are they regular brushes? I have only used patches to support my brushes, but this map looks based around them. It seems difficult to line up a lot of patch meshes like this.

Originally posted by wedge2211

...The highest FPS that the human eye can detect is 24...

This is just an old wives' tale, bro. Think about it: load up a small, simple map and set your graphics preferences to the minimum, least-detail-possible settings. Now open the console and do com_maxfps 24. Walk around a bit. Now do com_maxfps 50 and walk around some more. Now do com_maxfps 200 and (assuming you set your options really, really to the minimum and can get 200 fps) tell me that your human eye didn't detect the difference between 50 and 200 frames per second.

Originally posted by Patrick_H

Hey there, this is really a pretty original design! Almost looks like a good Quake III alternate theme.

Are you using patch meshes for the twisted curves or are they regular brushes? I have only used patches to support my brushes, but this map looks based around them. It seems difficult to line up a lot of patch meshes like this.

Yes 90% of the brushes are patches.

@rgoer Thx for the r speed info:D

Originally posted by Emon

That's some interesting patch work. I wonder if low gravity would work well there.

Ben playing around with that and wasn't 100% sure on how it's done. I have seen the gravity thing in the worldspawn entity but have heard of other ways to do low gravity. Have any suggestions?

Originally posted by rgoer

This is quite impressive indeed, Lil K. Those patches--you've got some patience, no? Those must have been a real pain to create "just so"--but the end result is astounding. Job well done.

Well it would be alot easier if I didn't keep making every small group of patches I find into one patch. If i just left everything like it was it wouldn't take me too long. It's not that hard to me, I just think of what i want, make a patch and them move vertacies around till I get it:D

like those walkways that go down to the lower platform.. I rebult those 4 or 5 times. First I make it out of one path then I spli it up into to then I did some other stuff. then just now i make the top, bottom, and side of each of the 2 grey parts on the walks into one patch so i could get rid of that effect in-game where when the textures don't line up where two patches meet, and u get than funny lighting. Got rid of that:D

Also what would be a good gravity level?

Now this is looking cool, LK. Even the layout is "twisted." This looks like a cool place for some saber duels, gun battles might be tough since there's not too much cover. And you can see the whole map from anywhere...hmmm. Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to wall-walk on one of those twisty-columns?

I welcome you to the Cult of the Patch.

Default gravity is 800...I wouldn't go less than 1/2g, so maybe try 600-700? Be careful, since even with 3/4g a level 3 force jump goes a LONG way, much more so that people might expect. Try experimenting. Even a gravity of 750 would probably throw some people off...you know, it's just different enough for there to be some unexpected results.

Originally posted by wedge2211

Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to wall-walk on one of those twisty-columns?

Nothing, u can't jump up to the top of one and if u did u would be near th blue energy stuff. That is if u were talking about those black columns that twist into the air..

Cult of the patch eh?:p

EDIT:

I am done with the main area of the map. I might add a secret area:D but the main room is done cause of the fps still haven't checked rseepds though : /

• 2 weeks later...

Archived