Home

Now THIS is a weapon of mass destruction!

Commander 598

The Tsar Bomba

In districts hundreds of kilometers from ground zero, wooden houses were destroyed, and stone ones lost their roofs, windows and doors; and radio communications were interrupted for almost one hour. The atmospheric disturbance generated by the explosion orbited the earth three times. A gigantic mushroom cloud rose as high as 64 kilometers (210,000 ft).

Some time after the explosion, photographs were taken of ground zero. "The ground surface of the island has been levelled, swept and licked so that it looks like a skating rink," a witness reported. "The same goes for rocks. The snow has melted and their sides and edges are shiny. There is not a trace of unevenness in the ground.... Everything in this area has been swept clean, scoured, melted and blown away."

Yes. You would use it to kill a whole mess of people.

If Kruschev's Monster Bomb had gone into production, it could have leveled entire states at once. 100 megatons is just like wow.

Big nuclear weapons suck. Give me a giant mountain of sub-kiloton nuclear artillery shells and neutron bombs any day.

The thing is so powerful, if you set it off in the middle of nowhere Nevada, **** would be knocked over all the way over to the Mississippi.

Personally, I see a better use for it than blowing up Earth. Blowing up something else like a giant asteroid or some other large chunk of rock.

And theres always the "Remove Alien Army from Planet X" that happened several times in the Halo novel.

Originally posted by Nitro

Mein Fuhrer! I can WALK!

There actually was a plan for such a device, which US intelligence did label as "the Strangelove Device." It was a ship that would have a plutonium core that was something like 120 feet long. It would have made a crater the size of Germany*. Kruschev was presented with the plans for it and was like like NO ****ING WAY and they scrapped it.

* probably an exageration, but it would have been well into the gigaton range. it's rumored that the US and Soviets both possess a single massive nuclear weapon. the US's is supposedly rated at 26 gigatons. i doubt it exists.

Archived