Home

Gone GOLD - release on 17 Sept 2003

Gabrobot

Originally posted by Kurgan

Buuut.. I don't know their schedules or how they are working at crunch time, so I'm sure they did what they thought was best.

That's funny, because I'm sure they did not what they thought was best but what their publisher demanded. ;)

Well iv'e just put JA down for a sec (it finished downloading at exactly 9:03 am this morning) and iv only just stoped playing it for a min................................. IT ROCKS PPL UNDERSTAND THIS IS THE GAME YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Yeah, back on topic.

This seems odd that it would take this long for the game to be sent to stores after it has gone beta. Having beta-tested quite a few games for several different companies, on every other game it has only taken a few days to a week to get it into stores.

Exactly what is LA doing, burning several billion CD's? I doubt there will be that many people rushing out to the local electronics store to get it the instant it comes out.

The only possible explanation could be the manual... and even with that, someone is wasting time, somewhere...

Originally posted by GonkH8er

plate.jpg

UNLEASH YOUR INNER NERD! STICK THIS BABY ON YOUR 1984 HONDA CIVIC AND PREPARE TO BE EGGED AND TAUNTED! :)

No joke, lol.

Remember that there are two companies involved here - Raven and LA. Raven has finished their job, which they probably budgeted to be done by Sept 1st (I assume a 2-week gold->store delay), so now LA has to finish getting their stuff together - they are still coming off KOTOR and are heavily into promoting Rebel Strike - Brett Tosti is producer for that as well. So there's a bunch of stuff.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Reddiguy

I thought it meant that a certain # of copies had sold already? Like in pre-order?

Just joined here from the jediknightii.net forums (I assumed you had to re-register) Anyhow, "going gold" was explained to me by someone in the software biz, I believe one of the developers from the MOH:AA game who was answering questions in another forum.

"Going gold" is exactly what it means. The game is actually burned on a 24 kt gold disc. Gold can withstand the pressure of being copied over and over again. Every disc made is copied off the same gold master disc.

Only in the record industry does it mean to sell a certain number of copies.

actually, the JK.net and JKII.net forums are one in the same since they are a part of the LucasArts Fan Network (LFNetwork). Only new members who had never been here had to register. But back to topic, actually, i heard that i means the game has been given the "gold seal" of approval for being shipped off to be mass produced. And the game developer throws a "Gone Gold" party ;) but it also means that the Gold Master disc has been sent off to be duplicated. So you are right, but you were missing some information.

Archived